SE Mods

How do you like the Gotohs? How is their weight compared to the stock tuners? I've been searching for some locking tuners that fit the existing screw hole pattern and are not led weights like the Schallers I've used in the past. Love the Schallers smooth feel and accurate tuning but, hello neck dive.

Haven't noticed much of a difference vs. stock tuners, if anything there might be a negligible decrease in weight on the headstock end, due to the shorter posts. I opted for the ones that lock from the top with a coin for this reason alone.

I like 'em. The one thing you have to be careful with is overtightening the cap of the tuning post, because occasionally it'll cause string breakage at the tuning post (which I had NEVER encountered prior to buying these Gotohs). Definitely worth the $50/set I paid for them. And... they do drop right in.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on here in many months.

It started with simple Lampshade knobs...
... expensive little buggers.

Then US wiring harness with push/pull because the SE switch wouldn't select the neck half the time. The US switch is just rock solid.
While I was at it, I added the US HFS/VB pups.
Mann-made trem once they're in stock again. Although this one stays very much in tune I found on my CE24 that the tremolo adds to tone (or in Paul's words "subtracts less").

The new switch required some dremel action.

fvv5TiZ.jpg

C1W5TU9.jpg

Before:
7OvMjoK.jpg

During:
xRKdhtJ.jpg

La1KQDe.jpg

After:
AHQjevR.jpg

huNlQBj.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my new to me PRS SE Custom 24..

I have owned in the past U.S. models of CU24 and McCarty and I am honestly amazed at the SE...

I bought used off of Reverb and for the price with the below mods, I thought why not.... :)

DiMarzio Crunch Lab
Bone Nut
Schaller locking tuners

Questions/Recommendations

My input jack is a scratchy at times, what can it be replaced with?

Bridge, looking at Mann bridge block, but wondering if it is worth it to change the saddles out?

Also the 3 way seems a bit cheezy but other than that works fine

20170515_110025_zpshlmx2q6o.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my new to me PRS SE Custom 24..

I have owned on the past U.S. models of CU24 and McCarty and I am honestly amazed at the SE...

I bought used off of Reverb and for the price with the below mods, I thought why not.... :)

DiMarzio Crunch Lab
Bone Nut
Schaller locking tuners

Questions/Recommendations

My input jack is a scratchy at times, what can it be replaced with?

Bridge, looking at Mann bridge block, but wondering if it is worth it to change the saddles out?

Also the 3 way seems a bit cheezy but other than that works fine

20170515_110025_zpshlmx2q6o.jpg

The PRS jack with plate will not cover the original screw holes https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/output-jack-1-4

Any other quality jack should help
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...n=2017-05-gp&gclid=COH_gOCo8tMCFYpgfgodJ1ILlQ

Are you saying change out saddles only on original trem or change saddles in MannMade bridge?
I just ordered another MannMade. I also thought about just getting the upgrade kit with block, saddles, springs and screws. I went for the whole piece because I really the beefier trem arm that comes with it.

I Also think a blade that's only a 3 way is goofy. I prefer mine with the 3 way toggle, but you could change your blade to a 5-way and add some coil split positions.

Thanks for the link on the jack...

Was looking at the Mann Bridge Block only (link below) and changing the saddles as well...

https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2053

The reason I am looking at this route is I was led to believe the complete bridge might not fit the SE???

Complete Bridge

https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/product_p/acc-4007.htm

As far as coil taps I have them on the SE Custom
You're looking at the PRS trem in that link. The MannMade is cheaper and should fit. I put one in my CE24 which came with the Korean bridge.
http://www.mannmadeusa.com/products/bridges/vibrato-bridges/2000-nos-prs-bridge/

Just go easy on the screws. Make sure to check the hole size and they should go in real smoothly.

Last edited:
Yeah I figured if I change the pot's out for US I will replace the knobs as well... The blade switch I will ask Mann if they know?

Looking at the Mann made NOS bridge it does not come with the bridge block hence why I was looking at the complete PRS bridge setup referenced above....

I think I'm done with my mods now for the Åkesson sig. Installed a set of Schaller M6 locking tuners couple of days ago to finish the build. Might redo the headstock decal later on...

Mods include TusqXL nut, Schaller M6 locking tuners, Schaller 455 bridge, Bare Knuckle Pickups Cold Sweat set and Hosco (MIJ) electronics. The bridge posts are stock locking Tonepros.

Couple of pics (she's had a lot of playtime):

34598814930_d80cbaa7fb_b.jpg

34598815190_d9e5a04ca9_b.jpg

34946368316_0fc3412b23_b.jpg

34946368046_591fd6a1e5_b.jpg

34986597425_6f23640e2b_b.jpg

I think I'm done with my mods now for the Åkesson sig. Installed a set of Schaller M6 locking tuners couple of days ago to finish the build. Might redo the headstock decal later on...

Mods include TusqXL nut, Schaller M6 locking tuners, Schaller 455 bridge, Bare Knuckle Pickups Cold Sweat set and Hosco (MIJ) electronics. The bridge posts are stock locking Tonepros.

Couple of pics (she's had a lot of playtime):

34598814930_d80cbaa7fb_b.jpg

34598815190_d9e5a04ca9_b.jpg

34946368316_0fc3412b23_b.jpg

34946368046_591fd6a1e5_b.jpg

34986597425_6f23640e2b_b.jpg

Nice!

The TonePros locking studs are good. The bridge is a huge pain in the ass to string, and the break angle means the strings slide around on saddles (even well notched). I am back to the stock SE non-adjustable bridge using the TP studs.
Both the Schroeder and the Mannmade bridge are solid and milled, so you don`t encounter the string issue. In addition, I believe the solid mass subtracts less from the tone formula. Also, the locking studs give you an immovable mass of metal that is sure to transfer the string vibrations better.

ok... finally done. US EVERYTHING
('everything' that didn't require or leave visible drilling, such as jackplate and tuners)

- US HFS/VB
- PRS Pickup Rings
- MannMade NOS2000 Trem
- PRS 3-way, pots (push/pull tone), lampshade knobs
- PRS core nut
- PRS core strap buttons
- Switchcraft jack

I found the 85/15S pups harsh, plus I was curious what HFS/VBs sound like. Very happy with them.
The MannMade trem (and probably the nut to an extent) took it from pretty dark to clear and full, with core competing sustain.
Serious tone machine now.

kQFFaqX.jpg

OhJJDmQ.jpg

yO18iII.jpg

gNFNaDR.jpg

HnsLwhe.jpg

ooooh, shiny...
isM2Ga8.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my modded SE Custom 24 Anniversary...

I refinished the headstock face (stain/ tung oil), added Kluson locking tuners, vintage audio taper 500k CTS pots w/ 180pf mica treble bleed cap & .022 Sprague PIO tone cap, installed cast alnico II & IV magnets in the pickups, replaced all the wiring with vintage style steel braid and cloth wires and various rosewood replace parts.

Back