SE Hollowbody thread

I am looking forward to trying one out.
By the way I think PRS is flooding the youtubers with demo models.
I don't normally watch McKnight's videos, but the one he had looked exactly like the one on the website and PRS's official demo videos. Same wavy lines and color.

Anyone seen one in the wild yet? I've noticed several Reverb sellers now have them in stock, with actual photos rather than the stock PRS photos...

I'm still waiting. Sweetwater's ETA was Nov 20th. I'm hoping my order is going thru their 55-point check (but with my luck, the ETA has probably slipped)

I stupidly read the comments to Phil’s video about this guitar. I’m amazed that so many people can spew so much negative B.S. about something they’ve neither seen in the flesh nor played. Judging from the spelling and intellectual content, most of these guys have to drop their pants to count to 21. I ain’t lyin, I’ll be buying. I think this is Jack H’s pet project. There’s nothing like it on the market.

How much difference do you all think there is tone wise between the SE Hollowbody Standard (mahogany] vs the SE Hollowbody II (maple)? I won't have a way to try them out. I have a Standard on pre-order with Sweetwater. I'm just wondering if I should switch to the SE Hollowbody II.

Thanks.

How much difference do you all think there is tone wise between the SE Hollowbody Standard (mahogany] vs the SE Hollowbody II (maple)? I won't have a way to try them out. I have a Standard on pre-order with Sweetwater. I'm just wondering if I should switch to the SE Hollowbody II.

Thanks.

I think the demo videos are your best bet for hearing the tone differences at the moment. I watched them both and prefer the tone of the standard - which is convenient, because I also prefer the color choices of the standard :).

Thanks.

The difference should be that the Hollowbody II is brighter than the all mahogany build of the Hollowbody Standard which sounds warmer - at least that's what I would expect and the demo's have tended to show as well. Neither has a definitive 'better' tone and its just down to personal preference.

I was surprised by the difference in terms of layers - the HBii is 5 layers compared to the standard's 3...

I stupidly read the comments to Phil’s video about this guitar. I’m amazed that so many people can spew so much negative B.S. about something they’ve neither seen in the flesh nor played. Judging from the spelling and intellectual content, most of these guys have to drop their pants to count to 21. I ain’t lyin, I’ll be buying. I think this is Jack H’s pet project. There’s nothing like it on the market.

Nothing surprises me with the ignorance of people on the internet. A guitar made in China MUST be bad despite the fact that PRS SE Acoustics are made in China to rave reviews. Not every Chinese guitar is the quality of the 'fake rubbish' you buy on AliExpress (or equivalents) but it seems that ignorance is rife. It's there to a degree with 'Indonesian' built to - the amount of people that have said that they will look for a Korean SE in particular is ridiculous in my opinion.

As far as I am concerned, if the company that are commissioning these builds from Asian manufacturers are happy, especially as they have their name on the headstock, then that should be a good indication. You could not buy a US made guitar to the same quality and specs for the price because the labour and overhead costs alone would be significantly higher meaning they would have to compromise more on the guitar to try and hit the same price points. Its not as if PRS hasn't been to the factories to train, educate etc.

There is a very good reason that companies like PRS use Asian manufacturers for their entry level instruments. Its the ONLY way they can offer the quality and specs at that price point and, in the case of the Hollowbody, China makes the most sense. Having seen a walkthrough of the Indonesian factory, it doesn't look like they have the tools and machinery to do laminate and pressed shaping builds - something that is more common with Acoustics. Its the same method as the 335 construction too btw - a pressed laminate top...

I firmly believe that you should try an instrument - especially if you have any doubt (not just doubts about where its made). If anything, you shouldn't look at the back of the headstock at all to see where its made and try it - you certainly shouldn't let its place of manufacture have any influence. If it doesn't feel, play or sound right for you, doesn't meet your expectation, move on to another guitar/model. If you want a PRS Hollowbody but can't afford the Core versions, then the SE gives you an option. It maybe close to the cheapest S2's in price but they are very different guitars and don't come with a case either - a sensible option for a Laminate top/back hollowbody.

There's such a long history here though. Think about all the cheap garbage China used to make. Crap at the dollar store. Things that would break quickly. Every one with that gold oval "Made in China" sticker.

Blend that with the history of guitar manufacturing. Starting in the 1970s guitar companies were looking to cut costs, so they started making guitars in Japan. As the Japanese got really really good at it, they started demanding more and more money for their guitars and top builders. By the 1990s Korea was the lowest of the low when it came to guitars. However, they also got to be very good at it. Companies look next to Indonesia, and China.

China makes damn near everything we use to communicate on this forum, technologies that require more precision than guitar making. It makes sense that they could also be trained to make good guitars. But older folks with money still see that crappy dollar store toy they loved in 1988 breaking into 1000 pieces and finding the gold oval in the wreckage.

There's such a long history here though. Think about all the cheap garbage China used to make. Older folks with money still see that crappy dollar store toy they loved in 1988 breaking into 1000 pieces and finding the gold oval in the wreckage.

Good point. I grew up when "made in Japan" and "made in China" were synonymous with cheap, poorly made products. That perception has been slowly changing over the years, but it still sits in the back of the mind. The belief that things "made in the USA" are always better has been slowly changing as well (automobiles are a good example).

There has been a history of cheap Chinese crap in the very cheap stores but that is different. I would be very surprised if any Western markets haven't got a cheap store selling cheap Chinese made rubbish but there has always been 'you get what you pay for' and if you are spending very little money to get some 'made in China' rubbish from a dollar store/market/poundland, it doesn't matter where its made, its going to be rubbish...

If China had made products to a 'high' quality, they would have cost a lot more and then wouldn't have been bought by the retailers looking to fill their shelves with 'cheap' products. Its not that US made is 'better' as such, its that China made 'cheap' because that's what the western retailers wanted and if they were 'better', they wouldn't of sold to the US. There was a market for cheap Chinese goods and not for high end Chinese goods - at least not in these areas. Japan stopped making 'cheap' guitars because they couldn't make cheap guitars as cheap as Korea and therefore focused on making higher end instruments. Their overheads (wages, factory running costs etc) are higher which then adds to the cost meaning they cannot make a guitar of the quality that Korea, Indonesia or China can and sell it for the same price.

I doubt anyone would have bought a Chinese made $1k+ guitar in the 70's or 80's and I doubt retailers would have looked to import guitars that expensive either. Not much incentive to make high-end instruments if they are limited too their own domestic market - which is limited too because many many people couldn't afford them. Supply and Demand.

There is no reason why Chinese, Korean or Indonesian people cannot make high-end products. They have access to the tools and materials to do so and its down to what the market wants/needs. Would people pay $2k for a high end Chinese 'Les Paul' - even if its as good or better than the Gibson CS R9 Les Paul that cost 3x more? Maybe some will who aren't so prejudiced as Eastman seem to be getting rave reviews for their guitars but I still hear many say that they wouldn't spend $2k on Chinese made. I also find it funny that a lot of people are very critical of Chinese (even Indonesian) and then recommend buying Epiphone or say Epiphone is as good as Gibson yet Epiphones have been made in China for the past 15yrs...

I don’t even waste my time reading YT comments. There’s too much other good stuff to do!

I'm also waiting for the Hollowbody Standard in Canada, the Fire Red Burst looks amazing. As others have said, the quality for the price is a steal.
Can't find any info on delivery date for Canada.`

Back