SE DGT versus SE Swamp Ash Special.

SE DGT or SE Swamp Ash Special?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jerrydpi

It looks like I was about to pull the trigger to fast in wanting to buy the SE McCarty 594 as my first PRS (and the only guitar I will own at this point in my joy of learning how to play a guitar:) ).

Several of you in my McCarty Thread kept mentioning the SE DGT, and after listening to several videos, it indeed does sound geat!

But………………………………………………

There is also the SE Swamp Ash Special that sounds great as well.

Any input into which one, and why you prefer one over the other please!

I’ve not played a SAS but it does have a Wide Thin neck. VERY different from the SE DGT neck shape which has some more meat to it as well as bigger frets.

The DGT is more vintage inspired in looks, feel and tone as opposed to the SAS which is a more modern approach.

Personally I couldn’t jive with the wide thin neck I had on my SE Custom 24 I had a few years ago but you may feel different.

I’d say if you were drawn to the 594 you’d definitely prefer the SE DGT.

Go play these guitars and find what's right for you. Even if it's a road trip. It would be far more helpful than multiple polls for internet opinions. It's not too difficult to find any of these models in stock, and I often find them all together at the same place. Maybe not the finish I'd want but you can get the feel.

I’ve not played a SAS but it does have a Wide Thin neck. VERY different from the SE DGT neck shape which has some more meat to it as well as bigger frets.

The DGT is more vintage inspired in looks, feel and tone as opposed to the SAS which is a more modern approach.

Personally I couldn’t jive with the wide thin neck I had on my SE Custom 24 I had a few years ago but you may feel different.

I’d say if you were drawn to the 594 you’d definitely prefer the SE DGT.

Hi Mike!

I keep hearing about a "more modern sound".

What does that means, and can you give me a genre or current "famous" guitar player that would help me understand?

They’re both versatile instruments. If you can go play them I’d suggest going by feel and if not then just go by whichever look appeals more to you.

I hate to ask this way, but I will :)

Is one of them more "Les Paul sounding", and is one of them more "Stratocaster/Telecaster sounding"?

No worries! SAS is more S/T and DGT is more LP.
I can live with that!

Will it be easier for the Strat/Tele sounding SAS to venture into the LP territory, or for the LP sounding DGT to venture into the Strat/Tele territory?

The DGT will have the more traditional wood combinations. Unless you predominantly play country and can’t go play one for yourself I would just tell you to go DGT. It’ll cover most anything you’ll do as a beginner.

The DGT will have the more traditional wood combinations. Unless you predominantly play country and can’t go play one for yourself I would just tell you to go DGT. It’ll cover most anything you’ll do as a beginner.
Do you mean Classic Country or Modern Country (which IMHO, if you take out the twangy vocals/occasional fiddle and steel guitar, would sound like Rock, Pop, or Rap influenced music)?

Tough choice, those are my 2 favorites, both unique, but the DGT gold top with moons :cool:
That would be the one I would choose as well :cool:

I notice online (the only way I can buy one) that their weights vary a lot. Can one be too light or heavy, and if so, what is the ideal weight to look for?

I notice online (the only way I can buy one) that their weights vary a lot. Can one be too light or heavy, and if so, what is the ideal weight to look for?
Ideal weight is on you. Some prefer heavy, I did at one point. Some prefer light, I don't like too light but don't hate it. Somewhere in between is just right for me.

I like em heavy. An 8 pounder wouldn't bother me.

Give me a pound range SinSir :)
That's on you man. We're all differnet.

8lbs is solid in the middle to me. Anything over 9lbs is starting to be heavy. 10+ lbs IS heavy. Anything in the 6.x lbs is in that too light range. My SH Vela is somewhere around there, good thing I dig that guitar. Great for travel.

Last edited:
That's on you man. We're all differnet.

8lbs is solid in the middle to me. Anything over 9lbs is starting to be heavy. 10+ lbs IS heavy. Anything in the 6.x lbs is in that too light range. My SH Vela is somewhere around there, good thing I dig that guitar. Great for travel.
I agree, 8 is about middle of the road. I just thought that was probably a heavy example of a DGT. I'm used to LPs so I'm not too shy to play something 9 or 10 lbs.

Back