SE Custom 24 wiring upgrade

Poseidon Alexi

Hi all, I have been custom shopping my SE Custom 24. Swapped the pickups to 85/15 TCI. Installed a MannMade bridge and trem block upgrade. Put in locking tuners and upgraded the nut to core. Sounds great and plays great now (as if it didn't before, but I digress...). Last thing to do now is swap out the wiring and pots to something hand wired and more core-aligned. However, if I am not mistaken the measurements are different for the imported models. Any suggestions as to who produces upgraded wiring harnesses for the SE models?

thank you kindly in advance!

I think I saw someplace where CTS makes pots that are a direct retrofit for metric pots. A wiring harness would be a tall order, but I'm sure you can find someone to do it.

Hi all, I have been custom shopping my SE Custom 24. Swapped the pickups to 85/15 TCI. Installed a MannMade bridge and trem block upgrade. Put in locking tuners and upgraded the nut to core. Sounds great and plays great now (as if it didn't before, but I digress...). Last thing to do now is swap out the wiring and pots to something hand wired and more core-aligned. However, if I am not mistaken the measurements are different for the imported models. Any suggestions as to who produces upgraded wiring harnesses for the SE models?

thank you kindly in advance!

Did you notice a big difference between the SE nut and the US/Core nut? Any noticeable difference in the plugged or unplugged sound? I am thinking about making this upgrade as well ...

I had this one done for my DGT SE. CTS 550k pots, Mod Electronics capacitor, and a Switchcraft toggle and output jack.

temp-Imagehu-Xs-YV.avif

Hi all! thank you for your responses and info. @direwolf08 i'm not sure what made the most difference from my upgrades so far. the tuners, nut, pickups and bridge were all done at the same time. what i can tell you is that the instrument went from a decent feeling and sounding SE Custom to an AMAZING feeling and sounding SE Custom. so long as i keep my strings more or less fresh, the tuning stability is rock solid, no matter the temp or weather. i would totally recommend doing the upgrades if you were thinking about it. mine punches WAY above its weight class now. when all the work is done, i am planning on doing a shootout against some S2's and CE's at a local Boise shop.

i contacted John Mann's Guitar Vault about a harness upgrade and he made one for me that i can just drop in. for aesthetics i also picked up a couple amber top hat-style speed knobs (as my Custom 24 is a black gold burst) to complete the core-but-not-really-a-core effect.

@Black Dog that harness looks sweet! wanna upgrade the input jack as well. would you recommend Switchcraft over Pure Tone? i am kind of intrigued about the multi-contact gimmick...

@Black Dog that harness looks sweet! wanna upgrade the input jack as well. would you recommend Switchcraft over Pure Tone? i am kind of intrigued about the multi-contact gimmick...
The guy who builds my wiring harnesses uses Switchcraft parts. Switchcraft has been around for decades (1946).

Last edited:
Hi all! thank you for your responses and info. @direwolf08 i'm not sure what made the most difference from my upgrades so far. the tuners, nut, pickups and bridge were all done at the same time. what i can tell you is that the instrument went from a decent feeling and sounding SE Custom to an AMAZING feeling and sounding SE Custom. so long as i keep my strings more or less fresh, the tuning stability is rock solid, no matter the temp or weather. i would totally recommend doing the upgrades if you were thinking about it. mine punches WAY above its weight class now. when all the work is done, i am planning on doing a shootout against some S2's and CE's at a local Boise shop.

i contacted John Mann's Guitar Vault about a harness upgrade and he made one for me that i can just drop in. for aesthetics i also picked up a couple amber top hat-style speed knobs (as my Custom 24 is a black gold burst) to complete the core-but-not-really-a-core effect.

Electrically speaking, it does nothing. Dual contact has been available from Switchcraft since before PureTone and no one used them in instruments...
Pure Tone, as you say is a gimmick.

Back