SC245 57/08 or SC245 Artist (also with 57/08's)

evh22

Hi All

Really after some advice here..

Looking to purchase my first PRS. Due to lockdown here in the UK I am unable to try either instrument but have narrowed down my choices to the above guitars.

I typically play classic rock/80's metal and am a massive VH fan (as my username suggests)! Thing is I already have a floyd rose guitar to fit those needs.

Following points are what i'm considering and would really appreciate the benefit of forum members to help:
1. I can get either guitar for similar money (circa £2300/£2500)
2. Both are used but in good condition with no major blemishes/issues.
3. Both are stock and come with paperwork
4. In terms of re-sale/value which one would you guys recommend?

Many Thanks

As you say you are unable to try either instrument and they are in equal condition I would suggest the Artist model. The Artist models I have are a definite cut above the standard models and, as mentioned, should help with resale (an unlikely event).
This is solid advice, and also the direction I would go.

Thanks so much for replies. They are both absolutely beautiful to me. I understand buying without one eye on resale but this has to be a factor.

Understand Artist would usually hold more value than stock 245 but wouldn’t that be offset by the Limited 250 pieces for the 57/08?

Understand Artist would usually hold more value than stock 245 but wouldn’t that be offset by the Limited 250 pieces for the 57/08?
I don’t think that limited run was exciting enough to command a long term premium. But I’m not against rationalizing a bit to make the choice my subconscious wants me to make.

I don’t think that limited run was exciting enough to command a long term premium. But I’m not against rationalizing a bit to make the choice my subconscious wants me to make.

Haha! That’s exactly how I feel right now! I’m leaning more towards the 57/08 but wrestling that I won’t get my money back if I ever came to sell it. The artist seems less of a risk but I don’t like the colour or finish as much.

Haha! That’s exactly how I feel right now! I’m leaning more towards the 57/08 but wrestling that I won’t get my money back if I ever came to sell it. The artist seems less of a risk but I don’t like the colour or finish as much.
Then get the 57/08. You’ll get any price difference back in enjoying it in the time you own it. I played my 57/08 single cut last night just to remind myself what a great guitar it is.

I didn't realise to begin with when you said SC245 57/08 you meant one of the initial limited edition launch models. It sounds from the write up that they had "artist grade" 10 tops as standard. I can can say from experience that the Peruvian mahogany necks are great. Honestly I don't think this model will hold its value any less than an artist package. I have one of the 53/10 limited from a couple of years later and I love it.

Here's a write up of the specs
"The PRS Limited Edition 57/08 guitars are a unique run of special instruments - Consisting of 3 models -Custom 24 - Singlecut SC245 - McCarty - Only 750 57/08 Limited Edition guitars are to be made available worldwide - 350 x Custom 24 models - 250 x SC245 models - 150 x McCarty models - Each guitar is hand signed and numbered by Paul Reed Smith on the rear of the control cavity plate - Each guitar is equipped with only the finest tone woods coupled with the most exciting, talked about pickups since the PAF! - An attractive 'artist pack' graded quilted maple 10 top is a feature on each of the 57/08 Limited Edition guitars along with a lightweight South American mahogany body, a Peruvian mahogany neck, Dalbergia rosewood fretboard, Paua rim "J" bird inlays and the new PRS 57/08 pickups with original wire from the 50's - An engraved 57/08 truss rod cover completes the package.
PRS obtained exclusive rights to the original pickup wire that was used in the most revered pickups from the '50s - Paul Reed Smith obtained the rights to the wire in 2008 and with 1957 being the year the humbucker was first commercially available, hence the name 57/08 - These are truly amazing, warm toneful pickups that are loaded with emotional qualities and tremendous articulation, that must be heard to be believed. They will cover the tonal spectrum of vintage and modern tones with authority!"

Dude, I have an SC245 57/08 LTD. It is a killer guitar. Mine has been modded with two push-pull tone pots for splitting. The guitar does everything with ease. It looks great. It feels alive in my hands. I play Class A el84 amps, and the guitar just sings. It cleans up great with volume pot usage.

I would recommend the 245 57/08 to anyone. It will do anything you want it to.

Back