Santanas time to teach me about them

aamefford

The (should be) Committed
Ok, first Mira’s, then CE’s, now Santanas. 24.5” scale, check. Humbuckers, check. Tremolo bridge, ok, two out of three, and I can always block the trem if I really feel I need to do so. Specially, an ‘03 Santana III in what looks like pretty good condition, at what looks like a decent price, that I can maybe afford.

Tell me about Santanas please. Since price talk is kinda, sort frowned upon here, feel free to PM what a decent price range might be.

Also, what to look out for, if there were other than core or SE Santana’s I need to be ware of? Neck has the year digit and serial number, so looks legit. Santana VS Santana III? Thank you all for overwhelming patience and info!

Edit to correct the scale length

Last edited:
I had a Santana III for a little while. I loved the neck, the controls, the tone....I hated the size of the body. It was little on me. I'm 278 with most of my weight in my gut and thighs. The Santana felt like a toy - much like how I feel every time I pick up a Jackson Rhoads. I recorded a few solos with it then moved it on for a 2nd Paul's Guitar.

Someone's poking around Dave's. I have been looking at that Santana III for a while now! Can't go wrong with that axe!
Not that one, though it is gorgeous! This one is CL. Nice top, some kind of amberish color with very dark burst around the perimeter of the top, black back and neck. I’d prefer a natural back and neck with a solid color top, but it looks nice, condition appears good, and price is pretty good. We’ll see I guess. I’m thinking I’ll like the neck. My current is a pattern regular, and I think I’ll like the slightly larger size. I’m curious about the pickups on it. It’s an ‘03 and supposed to be all original. The pickups are covered. Are they PAF like, hotter, less hot?

Santana III’s are fine guitars, but the current pricing on them is kinda nuts.

Personally I find the “Signature” version from 2014- until the “Retro” to be the sweet spot for best value on a used Santana.

The KL33 is also overlooked and is just a killer guitar! Basically an all Korina Santana III with moons and Mira pups that IMO is neck and neck with the West Street LTD. as being my favorite Santana shaped object. I think they hover around $2k+ used.

IMO/YMMV/all other guitars are trash/etc.

Ok, first Mira’s, then CE’s, now Santanas. 24.5” scale, check. Humbuckers, check. Tremolo bridge, ok, two out of three, and I can always block the trem if I really feel I need to do so. Specially, an ‘03 Santana III in what looks like pretty good condition, at what looks like a decent price, that I can maybe afford.

Tell me about Santanas please. Since price talk is kinda, sort frowned upon here, feel free to PM what a decent price range might be.
Price talk is frowned upon here? News.

The only problem at all with my Santana is weight. Guys have been playing LP's for decades and they seem to have worked out? And the only reason I have problems is because of chronic spine issues. So if you are one of the fortunate ones that don't have such issues, go for it!! And @bodia said you "HAVE TO DO IT!!", so shouldn't we lock this thread?

The fit, finish, feel, playability, tone, everything about my Santana is perfect. If I didn't have to play it sitting down, it would be my #1.

And under $2k?!?! I repeat, admins, please lock this thread!;)

Any way to tell if a guitar has been refinished? I only ask because I don’t recall seeing such a dark burst band in a PRS. That and I don’t know quite enough to keep myself out of trouble. CL photo:

Anyway, hoping to hear back from the seller. Ya never know with CL. Can be flaky there…
Looks original to me. I had a 594 that looked pretty close to that.

Yeah, for that price. Jaleous we dont have those steals on our side of the big pond ;-)

Pictures or it is a hallo kitty btw.

Back