CE’s - Tell Us About Them

The Dragon I is a totally different animal from the Dragon II. I have Dragon I pickups in my CE and Dragon II's in my 2008 Custom 22. To my ear, the Dragon I is definitely hotter and has a slightly darker overall tone than the Dragon II which seems to have less output and also has a more pronounced high end than the Dragon I. I prefer the Dragon I over the Dragon II, but find that both sound really good.

So I’m looking at an ‘02 with dragon II’s, and @Bowtiefanatc had an ‘07 with dragon I’s. We’re both dragons available at the same time?

Also, the one I’m looking at is opaque black. The tops on the stained transparent or translucent ones look to have really nice wood, at least from the photos here. Thoughts?
I believe Dragon I were discontinued in about 1997 or so. Don't remember if there was an overlap.

Dragon I’s are absolutely the pickup of choice.
HOWEVER, getting the correct neck shape and bridge should be the priority.
If you find one with the Holy Hat Trick - all three features - buy it! ;):)
Dragon 1’s seem to command a premium for sure. I see 85/15’s and HSB and Vintage Bass ir something like that on them as well.

So I’m looking at an ‘02 with dragon II’s, and @Bowtiefanatc had an ‘07 with dragon I’s. We’re both dragons available at the same time?

Also, the one I’m looking at is opaque black. The tops on the stained transparent or translucent ones look to have really nice wood, at least from the photos here. Thoughts?

To be fair, mine came with VB/HFS but I put D1’s in.

Back