Tell Me All About Your Favourite Models

Ruben Bernard

Literally all I ever see is people talking about the Silver Sky and sometimes the Custom 24 which makes sense because they're both awesome guitars, but all PRS Guitars are pretty awesome. Tell me about your favourite models, I wanna get hear some love for all the other models :D

I personally have The SE Tremonti Custom which is sooooooo sexy. I honestly prefer it in some ways to the core, I love the neck shape more and the neck binding feels somehow better at my hand
I also have one of the Limited Edition Stealth Tremonti SEs which has all of the incredible factors of the SE tremonti but has completely ignited my love of Satin guitars. If I had a choice I would almost always go satin now (but a good gloss guitar is a good gloss guitar and im never gonna say no to another guitar)
Which leads me to what I think is the most underrated PRS guitar, because I never hear anything about it (to be fair they're not very common). I just tried a DW CE 24. Ive been looking for a 24 fret guitar and a Floyd rose. neither of them would be something I need often so combining them seems to make sense. But then everything about it feels amazing and looks incredible. The satin, the bolt on, the heavy asf sounding pickups, the sexy knobs, the coil split. I went from Eh I dont really have a desperate want for a Floyd or 24 fret to... I am saving tf up and I am buying one as soon as I can. It is an incredible guitar

Give me some guitar love down below, and feel free send all the pics of your beauties as well :D

Here are my two :)
IMG-1858.jpg

IMG-E43-FF8-B8-F8-D8-1.jpg

Well I have three CE22's (two with Dragon 1's and one with Bare Knuckle Abraxas), four Bernie Marsdens (two with 57/08's, one with Duncan Antiquitys and one with Woletone Matshallheads), and two SE Silver Skys with Chubtone pickups.

Also have a SC58 with 57/08's but I'll probably sell it someday.

Won't sell the others though.

That ought to tell you what my favorite models are. ;)

Well I have three CE22's (two with Dragon 1's and one with Bare Knuckle Abraxas), four Bernie Marsdens (two with 57/08's, one with Duncan Antiquitys and one with Woletone Matshallheads), and two SE Silver Skys with Chubtone pickups.

Also have a SC58 with 57/08's but I'll probably sell it someday.

Won't sell the others though.

That ought to tell you what my favorite models are. ;)
I'm more of a visual learner :eek:

Favorite model of all time...The 509. Don't have one myself, but its a bucket list axe that one day...one damn day...I'll find one at a good deal.

As for guitars I have, the Paul's Guitar SE. I cant really say enough about it, its just a phenom of a guitar. You get so much for 25% the price of its core counterpart, BUT...I think it really become special when you swap pickups. The TCI(s) pickups are the best SE pickups ever made IMO, but it becomes something special with a hot PAF set instead.

I rotate through a number of PRS models and none of them are a silver sky or a custom 24. I have a custom 24 and it gets no play time. Here are the ones I play the most.

P22
Hollowbody II piezo
DGT
Swamp Ash Special

These models get regular play in my collection. I played the piezo equipped guitars exclusively in the last band I was in. It was really part of the sound of the band with the flexibility I had to quickly flip back and forth between electric and acoustic sounds.

My first core was a regular old 513 that I only sold when I got a 513 Rosewood, which is just magnificent. I had the PTC mod it into a 519, and it is my number 1. The versatility is outstanding, and it all sounds good. I will say that to really love a guitar like this, you have to enjoy how it is different from all the guitars it can mimic. Yes, it can get you in the ballpark of a strat, or a LP, etc... but if you're just chasing those tones, it will leave you wanting a bit. But if you like the distinct flavor it brings to those classic tone profiles, it is wonderful.
My HBII is also pretty sweet. I went on a bit of a PRS piezo journey over the years, with an older HBII, then a P22, then a P245 and finally a more recent HBII that really suits me (well, a rosewood neck would be nice, but those are hard to find).

Seen here flanking my most recent acquisition, a CE24

full

My favourite PRS models are the Custom 24, Hollowbody and Studio. All three are fresh and innovative. There was nothing quite like CU24 before its introduction in 1985; there was nothing quite like Hollowbody before Pauls, and Joe Knaggs conceived one. The Studio is the third one closing triad of the most innovative guitars in PRS history.

One day I will own all three if I'm lucky enough

My first core was a regular old 513 that I only sold when I got a 513 Rosewood, which is just magnificent. I had the PTC mod it into a 519, and it is my number 1. The versatility is outstanding, and it all sounds good. I will say that to really love a guitar like this, you have to enjoy how it is different from all the guitars it can mimic. Yes, it can get you in the ballpark of a strat, or a LP, etc... but if you're just chasing those tones, it will leave you wanting a bit. But if you like the distinct flavor it brings to those classic tone profiles, it is wonderful.
My HBII is also pretty sweet. I went on a bit of a PRS piezo journey over the years, with an older HBII, then a P22, then a P245 and finally a more recent HBII that really suits me (well, a rosewood neck would be nice, but those are hard to find).

Seen here flanking my most recent acquisition, a CE24

full
Someone understood the assignment
A++

Here's my most interesting electric; it was a limited run to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Private Stock program in January 2016. If memory serves they made 60 of them.

What's unusual about it? For starters, the mahogany is thicker than the usual McCarty body, but the maple is a tiny bit thinner. The neck is a 594 scale length that came out before the 594 model, but it's Pattern instead of Pattern Vintage.

The fretboard is Madagascar rosewood. It has a warmer tone than other varieties. The trem has locking saddles. There are a pair of Paul's Guitar narrow field pickups and a Narrowfield 57/08 middle pickup.

Basically, the guitar can do pretty much anything, and I love playing it. Apologies for the fact that I’ve posted this pic many times:

DR3O7Yg.jpg

81aB0Cr.jpg

This one's a workhorse. I've used it on a ton of ad music sessions. It has a few features that are different from the usual Custom 24, and it was also part of a limited run in 2015 for PRS' 30th Anniversary.

The body top carve, lower horn scoop and heel are supposed to be "old school" CU24. So the heel is a little smaller, but I can't tell you the difference in the body carve, because it looks like all the other CU24s to me. I'm sure someone can spot the differences, but honestly I can't. Still, it's a great guitar.

The pickups are 85/15s.

The tone knob pulls as a 'sweet switch' like on the earliest PRS models. Not a feature I use very often, but it's there if needed.

It has a Pattern Regular neck made of Peruvian Mahogany, and the guitar rings like a bell. The sustain is off the chart. Like the previous one, it has a Madagascar rosewood fretboard.

Another one that's self-explanatory; this is a McCarty Singlecut - they might still make this PS model.

The mahogany back is thicker than usual. As with the other two, the fretboard is Madagascar rosewood. The birds are mammoth ivory, which looks no different from Corian to me, but I don't care. I didn't buy it for looks. The guitar is a fully functional member of my studio, as are the others I posted. I've used it on all styles of work.

The pickups are 57/08s. It has a 24.5" scale length, sounds the business, plays like a dream. It's my #1. Does everything well. There's something about the 'oomph' of a Singlecut that works for what I do.

ptueAZn.jpg

Back