Tell Me All About Your Favourite Models

Favorite models.. I’ll preface this that I play blues, original bluesrock, Classic rock, some old Country and ”intelligent” Jam band lead guitar :(:D:eek:
No metal, digent ect so my faves may not be your faves at all. Depends on the music, your playing style, amp, speakers,ect. And, I’m a humbucker player and use coil cutters when I need that type of tone. I don’t play Strats or Teles anymore.
. Just not what I strive for tone wise…..
These are not in order of preference. I love them all……and they all sound different from each other…
#. Santana… …. Big and fat tones. I play a ‘21 SE version with USA PRS 245 usa pickups, a Mann made all brass bridge and core nut .(close enough for me) I’ve played a few Core series Santanas and they’re unbelievably unique…..
#. DGT………….A great cross between a Fender and Gibson leaning more Gibson . For lack of a better explanation. But in reality, really all refined and articulate PRS tones. Great neck, big frets! …….My most versatile PRS and many thanks to Mr. Grissom for this model
#. P22…. Great Goldtop rock n roll guitar and acoustic all in one. Unique PRS with pattern neck, great sounding Stoptailpiece bridge with Baggs/PRS Piezo system. Jumbo frets and McCarty thickness body, 5 way switch . Swiss Army knife guitar
#. McCarty DC 594 series… a modern day improvement/interpretation on the guitar Lester Polfitz and Ted McCarty invented, (or whatever story we believe). I absolutely love my double cutaway S2 version pictured on the left in green with black wrap (as they call it). I also love the stock pickups! The single cutaway version is even thicker sounding! ….. That will probably be next in the same color…. This is an addiction!
#. McCarty original model. Simple, wraparound bridge, coil cutters, thicker body. 25”scale. Just awesome! David Grissom and Paul‘s first take on the McCarty and have had many improvements over the years since my very early Goldtop/moons model was made….
#. Myles Kennedy Tele…..( I’ve owned many Telecasters from 1954 on over the years and sold them all). Had a chance to play this model today….. I have to say this is is in another league for T style guitars. All the twang, very versatile, can get fat..
NO HUM. Great new set of pickups Paul designed. The all maple neck is simply awesome. Nice and full and refined without feeling like a baseball bat…My fingers can just fly on this guitar. Love the all maple neck….Nice and lightweight as well…. The swamp ash body just sings and has the snap! … Great. choice of high quality woods used….It’s all in the wood….
So that’s my 2 cents on these PRS’s… And these are what I play regularly (or previously owned) except for the MK Tele…They are all just great guitars but still different enough to justify owning for live performances and recording… I Can’t comment on many of the other models as I’ve not played them enough to give an honest answer……

Last edited:
Hmm…SCT, McCarty (stoptail, trem and 594 variants) are all a tie for me :)

56588-D4-A-FA18-4503-809-D-FFB1-D37-D3008.jpg

McTrem I traded in for my PS build. While my PS build is my #1, I really wish I could have this one back! Tone was epic.
image.jpg

McCarty with a piezo
image.jpg

DC594
image.jpg

I should mention this C22 is rather awesome as well…
image.jpg

Guess this means I like most PRS models? I do better with larger neck carves these days.

These are what I have now (lots of you have seen them already) and the second pic is what I want next. Dark Cherry S2 McCarty Thinline. I could go right out and just buy it, but I have this fixed income thing now so I'm more cautious than I once was...notice I didn't say grown up, mature, or smarter.:D

I’m new to PRS and now own a ‘97 Custom 22 and ‘23 McCarty 594 (DC). I’ve tried a CU24 and Silver Sky in music stores.

Out of those ones, the 594 is definitely my favourite, with the CU22 a close second.

I’d love to try an older McCarty, with the stoptail and 25” scale + two knobs (both humbucker and P90 versions look amazing).

I’m new to PRS and now own a ‘97 Custom 22 and ‘23 McCarty 594 (DC). I’ve tried a CU24 and Silver Sky in music stores.

Out of those ones, the 594 is definitely my favourite, with the CU22 a close second.

I’d love to try an older McCarty, with the stoptail and 25” scale + two knobs (both humbucker and P90 versions look amazing).
Hi. Yea, the older McCarty’s were really cool guitars. No neck binding, wraparound bridge, 25” scale. I had an early Goldtop with moons that got “misplaced” somewhere down the line…. And everyone needs a red P-90 version!:p

These are what I have now (lots of you have seen them already) and the second pic is what I want next. Dark Cherry S2 McCarty Thinline. I could go right out and just buy it, but I have this fixed income thing now so I'm more cautious than I once was...notice I didn't say grown up, mature, or smarter.:D
You’ll love the S2. They’re really amazing instruments. I recently purchased and have been playing out with a DC594 McCarty…. I just love that guitar. It’s built so well….

You’ll love the S2. They’re really amazing instruments. I recently purchased and have been playing out with a DC594 McCarty…. I just love that guitar. It’s built so well….
I have no doubt of that, I've played one. Just Thursday I saw a Core McCarty that was just new to a young gal. Didn't even ask her if I could hold it. I know better than to do something like that even had she offered....I'm stepping out of my $$ comfort zone with the S2.:D
But truth be told, it's not significantly more than my Hollobody was so it's all kind of relative.

This might sound a little unusual for most of you, but my prefs are for the best-quality/most cost-effective instruments. Some years ago, when I had more money, I owned several Private Stock guitars. Rosewood necks, chambered SCs, one-piece arch top quilt maple top and back, silly expensive guitars.

I could never justify owning these high-end pieces because of my poor wanna-be chops.

One eventually realizes that sometimes your stuff begins to own you, not the other way around. That's when I took a serious look at my life, my surroundings, and "cleaned house." Sold most all that I seldom used and purchased SE models.

Sure, I still own one core McC, but the rest of my gear is SE. Good quality guitars that create the tone and sounds I prefer. And, that feel good in your hands and play well.

If I were to choose between my 3 SE's, I'd select the DGT SE. The core McC I reserve for important venues that I trust not putting a ding in my McC.

There's much less worry when one owns a modestly priced guitar that can take a dink or 2 and not affect its resale value that much. I guess that was my original problem. The PS guitars I almost obsessed over worrying they'd take be damaged or stolen. Replacing an SE has fewer concerns because of their ready availability and better price-point. That, and because PRS makes quality imported guitars. Not all builders can attest to that.

I don't have a favorite , I'm not monogamous to PRS guitar model and am pretty close to have one of each from each family tree in the line.

Back