S2 Tuning

Paul Parise

I recently acquired a S2 Standard 24 that was made in March of 2018. I haven’t spent a whole lot of time with it but I did take it to rehearsal over the weekend. I’m having problems keeping it in tune after doing some bending. I stretched the strings out a bit which seems to have helped but still goes out. This is my first PRS but my understanding is they should stay in tune really well. Any suggestions or could it be the Guitar is still breaking in. The guy I got it from barely played it.

If they are new strings, then yeah, you will need to stretch them and play them until they settle in. Are you playing higher gauge strings? They could be getting caught up in the nut. I had tuning issues with my SE Tremonti, but I solved it by switching out the nut for a core nut, and changing to locking tuners. I believe the S2's already have both of those, though.

If they are new strings, then yeah, you will need to stretch them and play them until they settle in. Are you playing higher gauge strings? They could be getting caught up in the nut. I had tuning issues with my SE Tremonti, but I solved it by switching out the nut for a core nut, and changing to locking tuners. I believe the S2's already have both of those, though.
I play 10’s which I believe what comes on this model. The nut is the same as the core models and it has locking tuners as stock. I may try changing the strings just to be sure they were installed correctly. When using the trem it is pretty stable but if you dig in really good with bends it tends to go out. The strings look pretty new, so could be for some reason they needed stretched more.

I need to play it again but I think both, I stopped short of mentioning this in my previous post because I need to make sure. Leaning towards sharp though. I recall going that way more in retuning.

OP I have 3 Standard S2s they are fantastic don't give up on the guitar.... not exactly sure what could be causing it as they do have core nuts and locking tuners but congratulations none the less and enjoy, would love to see a pic!

OP I have 3 Standard S2s they are fantastic don't give up on the guitar.... not exactly sure what could be causing it as they do have core nuts and locking tuners but congratulations none the less and enjoy, would love to see a pic!
1g809s

I recently acquired a S2 Standard 24 that was made in March of 2018. I haven’t spent a whole lot of time with it but I did take it to rehearsal over the weekend. I’m having problems keeping it in tune after doing some bending. I stretched the strings out a bit which seems to have helped but still goes out. This is my first PRS but my understanding is they should stay in tune really well. Any suggestions or could it be the Guitar is still breaking in. The guy I got it from barely played it.
How far out of tune? Are we talking a few cents here, or a semitone?

Looks like you have to much string wrapping around the post, which won't help.
Many of my NEW PRS needed some aggressive playtime before they 100% settled in.
Give it a good hard play , use the trem it should get better with play !!!

It’s probably the nut. Run a nut file thru the slots and smooth down any mess in there. Then use Nut Sauce.

My S2 (used) arrived with the tuners loose in the housing, and the tuners buttons loose. The trem had to be reset as well. If you need to tweak the trem, make sure to take the tension off of the string so you don’t trash it, After all that, the tuning is rock.solid. Remember, even though he hardly played it, there may have been some dumb things done to it. F guitar owners seem to be the worst in that regard. It can’t be set up like an F, cause it ain’t one.

Back