How does the 277 handle other tunings?

gerbetta33

I'm reading it comes in B standard. I'm not personally a metalhead, and I wouldn't normally consider getting a baritone, but they finally released a lefty version and it's apparently only in production until March so I'm wanting to get it.

I do listen to a lot of Ghost, and they typically tune to D standard and occasionally drop C. Ghost might be what gets me into heavier stuff, but I imagine I'll primarily be playing them.

How does stock setup translate to that? Do I need lighter strings? Will it still have a nice sound if I had lighter strings anyways?

Hi there and welcome. The 277 is fine but it's a baritone by design, longer scale length 27.7" as opposed to 25" and tuned half way between a bass and regular electric guitar. if you're playing in D standard or drop C these things can still be accomplished on a regular PRS that isn't a baritone.

When I had the 277 I never really thought to bring it up to regular guitar tunings, I only ever dropped the lowest string down to A. It also feels substantially different and isn't really friendly to doing vibrato or big bends. You couldn't go much lighter with the strings because the nut is cut for a certain size, too much lighter and they won't be proper seated in the nut anymore.

Hi there and welcome. The 277 is fine but it's a baritone by design, longer scale length 27.7" as opposed to 25" and tuned half way between a bass and regular electric guitar. if you're playing in D standard or drop C these things can still be accomplished on a regular PRS that isn't a baritone.

When I had the 277 I never really thought to bring it up to regular guitar tunings, I only ever dropped the lowest string down to A. It also feels substantially different and isn't really friendly to doing vibrato or big bends. You couldn't go much lighter with the strings because the nut is cut for a certain size, too much lighter and they won't be proper seated in the nut anymore.
Currently I've got my PRS Hollowbody II Piezo down tuned to D standard. Doesn't have a lot of sustain or 'oomph' to it. Feels kind of airy. I think the baritone would be a nice guitar to have to bridge that gap. I also play bass guitar, and I don't tend to bend when I play (mostly rhythm and riffs, very rarely solo).

I've got a 24-08 in standard tuning, but the only strings I had to replace the stock ones were D'addario custom lights, which are a gauge thinner. Stock 24-08 string sight handle the D standard tuning better than the HBIIP, but I'm still curious if a standard guitar tuned down or a baritone guitar tuned up sounds better in D standard.

If you're not married to the baritone, check out the Holcombs. Not sure about the current ones, but the previous iteration shipped tuned to drop C, and it handles that tuning flawlessly.

For D standard and drop C riffing I agree the Holcomb would be a solid choice. Much better than the 277. Get the 277 if you want to do baritone stuff but I don't really recommend it for what you're after.

Your 24-08 would be fine too, I'd put 9-46 gauge strings on or 10-46 and you should be just fine.

i have an old Mushok and tune the intervals the same as a normal guitar so it's BEADF#B. it's like having a reverse capo

The PRS 277 baritone in B standard can handle tunings as low as D standard without any modifications, though lighter strings may be necessary for optimal playability and intonation. Tuning down further to drop C might require adjustments to the truss rod and bridge height. While the stock setup can handle Ghost's tuning range, lighter strings could offer a more comfortable playing experience, but may impact the overall sound and tension. Ultimately, the best string gauge for you will depend on personal preference and playing style.

Back