S2 Standards

standards.jpg

:eek:

I like them except for the pickguard design. I dont mind guards being on there but, these designs dont do it for me.
I also wish theyd do some other solid colors (classic Fender-esque or Gibson-esqe). One of these in a Pelhem Blue would be sweet!

The pick guards aren't bad shapes and avoid being Fender-ish or Gibby. I'll give PRS credit for going with this kind of design as it's about as far from Core as a PRS can get and still be a PRS. I'm surprised to find myself really liking the looks of these Standards. Also happy that they're playing with the designs.

feature-1976-s1.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, I am with you man. The looks of these are exactly what I go for. I think this singlecut just went to the top of my list, plus the price is great.

I've had a chance to play several S2 models now of various configurations. I believe they are excellent guitars and provide a lot of value for the outlay. Perfectly functional, play well and sound good.
Unfortunately, a guitar has to appeal to me aesthetically and the S2s don't. I just can't get down with the giant bevel, along with the fact that I don't understand what it's purpose is or how it eliminates cost.
These S2 standards do look a lot better than the original models (to me) and I would be all over a seafoam green with a pearloid pickguard if it wasn't for that bevel.
Regardless, they appear to be doing well and deservedly so.

Last edited:
The bevel prob saves a lot of time on the CNC router (much less complex compared to violin carve) and subsequent hand finishing (it's much quicker to sand a flat plane than complex curves)

Very cool. I think these look better than the maple-top S2's--as much as I love figured tops, they just don't work for me with the bevel. The Standard 24 could be a real SG killer, especially if it has coil-split capability. I'm imagining a Standard 22 with the Brent Mason pickup layout, but at that price it could cut into sales of the core Brent Mason model. But I've already got one of those...maybe a Standard 22 with 305 pickups? I could go for that!

Very cool. I think these look better than the maple-top S2's--as much as I love figured tops, they just don't work for me with the bevel. The Standard 24 could be a real SG killer, especially if it has coil-split capability. I'm imagining a Standard 22 with the Brent Mason pickup layout, but at that price it could cut into sales of the core Brent Mason model. But I've already got one of those...maybe a Standard 22 with 305 pickups? I could go for that!

So agree on the look of the maple top S2's. I really want a S2 Singlecut Standard now!

These really are a great platform for modifying. I see lots of PTC and home mod projects in the future.

SC ”One” would be awesome, but so would a triple soapy... Hmm...

Well it looks like those who want Seafoam can pull out their credit cards. :)

scst_sg.jpg

Though I'd go with this one.
scst_mc.jpg

These really are a great platform for modifying. I see lots of PTC and home mod projects in the future.

+1

Not enough soapbar guitars in the current lineups (SE, S2, and Core) IMO...love P90s. I'd personally love to see a Mira with soaps.

Also a S2 Singlecut Standard with Starla pickups would be a cool mod - Starla sans Bigsby.

The bevel prob saves a lot of time on the CNC router (much less complex compared to violin carve) and subsequent hand finishing (it's much quicker to sand a flat plane than complex curves)

It's comfortable on the forearm as well. Even the slight bevel on the SE One makes a difference.

I see a kill switch on the bout with master volume, master tone, three way toggle and dial-a-split on the guard. :top:

There's no shortage of humbucker-sized P-90s out there, so I think it's pretty smart of them to keep with the humbucker form factor. It's the most versatile. Although, it would be pretty breezy to slap a couple of real P-90's in these Standards!

+1

Not enough soapbar guitars in the current lineups (SE, S2, and Core) IMO...love P90s. I'd personally love to see a Mira with soaps.

Also a S2 Singlecut Standard with Starla pickups would be a cool mod - Starla sans Bigsby.

Will have to see if the Singlecut has the same body depth as the Starla...

Agree on the P90 front though - putting the 25th anniversary Mira 245 into a "production" version would be pretty cool.

Back