Why not put a pickguard on the S2 Customs as well?

CivoLee

The pickguard on the S2 Standards really improves the look of the asymmetrical beveling, but on the Customs you just have a blank empty space that just makes the unevenness of the beveling all the more obvious. A pickguard would really improve that.

It's not like it'll hide the top that much; the old EG models could be had with a flamed top and those looked fine with pickguards.

If I had a nice top, I can see not having the pick guard because I’d want to have as much of it visible as possible. That said, I do like the way it looks on my standard, tho a smaller one similar to the early 60s Gibson SG would be ideal.

The pick guards cover up the control cavity and wiring, and are a way of reducing production cost. There's less fuss involved.

That's why Leo Fender did it, too.

Some like the look, some don't, you can't please everyone. Seems like it would be simple enough to have a pick guard made that would suit your needs.

Fun fact: the pickguard on my G&L ASAT Special is not hiding anything underneath. In fact, if you'd like, you can simply unscrew the pickguard screws, pop it off over the pickups (which are mounted directly into the body) and slide it out under the strings. Surprisingly, there's no wiring routs or anything underneath there! The only thing you're left with are the 7~8 (I can't remember how many) screw holes in the body.

Crazy!

Personally, I love the bevels, and I think PRS did a fantastic job on the S2 line. Even though the bevels are asymmetrical, they look perfect on the bodies, unlike what I've seen other companies do with asymmetrical bevels.

I'd love to see PRS apply the scraped edge faux binding on the S2 line. I think that extra accent line would look amazing. I personally find the bevels far more comfortable to play than the violin carve.

Personally, I love the bevels, and I think PRS did a fantastic job on the S2 line. Even though the bevels are asymmetrical, they look perfect on the bodies, unlike what I've seen other companies do with asymmetrical bevels. I personally find the bevels far more comfortable to play than the violin carve.
I agree. I own a core McCarty, an SAS SE and an S2 Standard 24 and the S2 is the most comfortable and lightest of the three. As a 2017 it has the pattern regular neck which I'm finding I prefer over the Wide/Fat or the Wide/Thin as well.

I don't think a p-g would look right on the S2 Custom. I kinda dig my S2 Custom 22 w/o a pickguard..

YMMV, of course..

EaPf31z.jpg

I don't think a p-g would look right on the S2 Custom. I kinda dig my S2 Custom 22 w/o a pickguard..

YMMV, of course..

EaPf31z.jpg
I've always liked your Custom 22...you've posted it a few times its pure elegance...I have 3 standard 22s...one with a JB/59 and they're amazing guitars...

I've always liked your Custom 22...you've posted it a few times its pure elegance...I have 3 standard 22s...one with a JB/59 and they're amazing guitars...
Thanks, Russ. Yeah, I've posted this one up a few times.. 😆

It's got a JB in the bridge, and a Jazz in the neck. Previous owner swapped the stock #7's out for this Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set. They sound fantastic in this guitar.

EHLgH06.jpg

Back