S2 Standard 22 2019

Crunch

So, there's a couple 2019 S2 stnd 22 models in white left over in a local guitar store the manager may let go for around $1000. They've been hanging there for forever and a day. They sport 85/15 S PUPs, and the finish appears to be poly instead of nitro. I've had in a my possession, for a short period, an S2 594 mccarty thinline, and a Vela, both of which had some QA issues. Some would blame this on covid, alright sounds fair.

Question is, is there any drawback to buying the older model S2s, they actually seem very solid build wise, and my thinking is perhaps I would have better luck with pre-covid built guitars. Only owning SEs prior, I'm not really schooled very well on the S2 line. I've seen models of the S2 stnd 22 / 24 with both uncovered 85/15s and covered 58/15s.

Last edited:
I started with PRS core model guitars and I now own 5 S2's. And for what it's worth, I like the 85/15S pickups better than the McCarty and Dragon II, pickups. My S2's play as good as my core model and the quality has been perfect. But I did play all of them, before buying. YMMV!

Five S2's?
Why would anybody own 5 S2's?
Oh wait...

WHz299K.jpg

That is an option, It is a bit confusing however how they change out the PUPs from year to year.

I guess that’s a valid point. That’s why I say just find a set that you like and swap them in. None of my guitars have the full original pickups in them.

Love my S2! I just put 57/08 pups in it recently; needed to replace faulty 3-way switch so upgraded to core 5-way blade, tone, and volume pots too.
Eventually will probably upgrade the bridge to Mann NOS whenever they come back in stock

So I'm discovering the stain finished S2 stnd 24, I'm really tempted, about $1000 for a brand new one in tobacco. The only reservation I have is the thinness of the finish. I do like the satin look and feel, however I am kind of concerned about its durability being only 1 mil thick. Anyone have an S2 with a satin finish? How does it hold up?

A better word escapes me right now but with OCD I wouldn't go with a satin. I love it but it will wear pretty quick and easy. Not for someone after perfection.

So I'm discovering the stain finished S2 stnd 24, I'm really tempted, about $1000 for a brand new one in tobacco. The only reservation I have is the thinness of the finish. I do like the satin look and feel, however I am kind of concerned about its durability being only 1 mil thick. Anyone have an S2 with a satin finish? How does it hold up?

Others have told me how quickly it can wear. I didn't want the satin in some spots and shinny in other places. So, I used Old English, furniture polish, and I hand buffed mine with a rag. It's not my main guitar, I use it detuned to Eb. It's a 2017, so four years of use and the finish still looks even.

Others have told me how quickly it can wear. I didn't want the satin in some spots and shinny in other places. So, I used Old English, furniture polish, and I hand buffed mine with a rag. It's not my main guitar, I use it detuned to Eb. It's a 2017, so four years of use and the finish still looks even.

I agree. Buffing and polishing helps a ton. It was easier for me to do to my Gibson than PRS with the exposed pores.

I agree. Buffing and polishing helps a ton. It was easier for me to do to my Gibson than PRS with the exposed pores.

I don't think people believe me, when I tell them that the satin neck, without wood filler, feels smaller to me than the gloss Pattern/Regular necks. They tell me that I must have gotten a guitar with a slightly smaller neck. When you add up wood filler and several coats of finish, I can feel the difference. I keep watching for a pretty S2, Custom 24, to upgrade my satin Standard.

I have had my Satin 22 for about a year and not a mark on it! Holds up really well , at least mine and I play the crap out of it. I almost wish it would “ wear in” more!!!! What a great guitar, I have two!!!!!!
It is becoming more shiny on the wear points, but I like that a lot!!!!

Picked up a new S2 standard 22 in walnut from a shop down south. Its a 2019 model, but i would rather have that then whats been coming out of the 'covid version' of the PRS factories these days. Mind you, this is effecting every manufacturer it seems from what I've seen and heard, so I'm not singling out PRS. I was going to higher end SE, but the build quality of the '19 S2 is just amazing. You can really tell the difference, Now to change the electronics, any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've owned a S2 Standard 24, for years. Then I bought two, S2 Custom 22's, with the same pickups. So, I ordered a set of Bootstrap pickups, for a more vintage sound. After a month wait, without updates, I ordered a set of Porter Gatekeeper (import) vintage pickups. The neck pickup is a 6.8K, alnico 2 and the bridge is a 7.8k, alnico 5. At $99 per set, I though that I would take a chance. I figured that I could always swap to the Bootstrap pickups ( or 85/15S's). As it turns out, I like them better than the Bootstrap set. They have vintage Gibson sound like my old ES 335 or Heritage H535.

For what it's worth, there is nothing wrong with the 85/15S pickups. I just already had them in in two other S2's. They seem to sell on reverb for $350 a set. So, they bring premium prices.

Last edited:
Back