s2 singlecut mann made bridge worth it?

BabyDracula

is the Mann made bridge worth upgrading (modding) to? How does it change the sound? Specifically asking about s2 singlecut. Just curious!

Last edited:
There are a lot of bridges out there, starting with a Wilkinson for around $35. What are you trying to accomplish and how much do you want to spend?

I love the S2 line, but I don't sink a lot of money into "upgrades". If think that it is inferior, due to imported parts, think again. PRS core guitars use imported parts, as do Fender and Gibson, USA.

We need to know, what you have, and what it isn't doing. If your guitar doesn't intonate, do to a string gauge change, you might need a bridge with more adjustment travel.

Last edited:
I dont have an issue - other than a little damage on a second hand guitar that I was pondering about fixing.

I was just wondering how it changes the sound/if it's viewed as a worthwhile investment - opinions/view points.

I have seen many posts about the trem bridges, but haven't been able to see/hear much on the singlecut side.

I haven't used any of the Mann made stuff, but if you're just trying to upgrade from the non-adjustable PRS stoptail, I bought a Jay Schroeder Original Stoptail bridge for my 2016 SE Tremonti. The Schroeder stuff is less than half the price of the PRS adjustable stoptail, and personally I really like the design :)

IMG_1816_2_1024x1024.jpg

What I've found in my very limited experience is that just upgrading to something with brass saddles greatly helps with tone and resonance, and this becomes especially evident just playing acoustically. I recommend the upgrade, and if you don't like the design for the Original bridge, they also have a straight-back bridge design you can check out.

https://www.schroederguitarhardware.com/

I've tried the newer, bridge and older bridge, from the core line. They were both fine. The aluminum bridges tend to sound a little brighter. Brass is darker. It's just a matter of taste.

What do you prefer on your S2 Semi? I was thinking about changing mine, but thinking the brighter sound might be a better fit given the semi-hollowness.

What do you prefer on your S2 Semi? I was thinking about changing mine, but thinking the brighter sound might be a better fit given the semi-hollowness.

I play PRS guitars for their resonance and brighter, sound. I figure I can always cut the brightness, with my tone control. You can't go the other way. I do own a S2 McCarty for a darker, Les Pual sound. But, I really don't use it much. It tends to only sound good when I play the bridge pickup, with overdrive.

When I was a working musician, I was most proud of the work I did in county, rockabilly and jazz. The only money I made playing metal and blues, was giving lessons to teenagers. So, it really depends more upon the type of sounds that you want. YMMV!

Last edited:
I play PRS guitars for their resonance and brighter, sound. I figure I can always cut the brightness, with my tone control. You can't go the other way. I do own a S2 McCarty for a darker, Les Pual sound. But, I really don't use it much. It tends to only sound good when I play the bridge pickup, with overdrive.

When I was a working musician, I was most proud of the work I did in county, rockabilly and jazz. The only money I made playing metal and blues, was giving lessons to teenagers. So, it really depends more upon the type of sounds that you want. YMMV!
I hear ya, just recently sold my S2 McCarty and with a tweak of the tone knob I feel I can get close to it with the semi. As a side note, by lowering the bass pickup and raising the pole pieces definitely helped clear it up on the S2 594. Thanks for the input.

I haven't used any of the Mann made stuff, but if you're just trying to upgrade from the non-adjustable PRS stoptail, I bought a Jay Schroeder Original Stoptail bridge for my 2016 SE Tremonti. The Schroeder stuff is less than half the price of the PRS adjustable stoptail, and personally I really like the design :)

IMG_1816_2_1024x1024.jpg

What I've found in my very limited experience is that just upgrading to something with brass saddles greatly helps with tone and resonance, and this becomes especially evident just playing acoustically. I recommend the upgrade, and if you don't like the design for the Original bridge, they also have a straight-back bridge design you can check out.

No offense, but the PRS is worth twice the price, and JM’s stuff is top notch as well.

If you like the sound of the guitar, don’t change the bridge. Change means change, not better. I’ve seen guys sell guitars that felt they were upgraded because they changed the tuners buttons and volume/ tone knobs. I do disagree with Steve that the PRS stuff is necessarily better. Once again, it’s different. I only have three stoptails. One has the Schroeder bridge, one has a PRS core one piece bridge, and one has the piezo bridge.I will tell you that the Schroeder locking studs are great. I believe they increase the vibration transfer to the body. They’re on all three guitars. Everything John Mann makes is of high quality.

I too try not to use the word upgraded. I admit I'm guilty of it sometimes. I try to use modded. It may be an upgrade to me but just cause I feel it's an upgrade the next guy might not. Obviously some stuff is technically an upgrade but again that's up to the player. Thanks to PRS I've found I tend to favor the warmth brass adds, but others don't and it's not always right for every guitar.

Tuner buttons and knobs I wouldn't call an upgrade either, not even sure if it's even really a mod to me, change sounds more accurate. Same goes for pickups, I like SD and feel they are an upgrade over G&B but they aren't a stock PRS item so really they'd be more of a modification too. Now if you have 85/15s stock and you go to core 85/15 I'd call that an upgrade but only cause it's a PRS item of the same base line. Although, I prefer 59/09 or 57/08 to 85/15 that swap would be more of mod.

Either way, I firmly believe in making your guitar yours and enjoy the heck out if it, stock, changed, upraded, or modded.. It doesn't matter just keep playing!

Can't say enough good things about the MannMade 2300 bridge. For that matter, I can't say enough good things about John and Roxanne. Super nice people. Very knowledgeable. Plus, John was there in the beginning (practically).

This^^^

Wonderful people

I kinda got off topic late last night lol

Well, If you ask Mr. Mann, he will probably tell you. I spoke to him when I was looking for an SE Hollowbody. I was interested in finding the correct "metric" brass bridge posts . Posters above here put them on their SE 245's and loved them. I also noticed them on my S2 594 Thinline. The ones on the USA site, are English threaded.

He had them in various flavors (unfinished , semi and shiny) I went for the semi, but I'm yet to install them.
I asked him about the stoptail bridge he offers, and he frankly told me, the stock one on the Hollowbody Std and 2, were good enough, that I probably would not hear a difference...

I appreciate that kind of honesty. I'll be looking to him for maybe some other upgrades ...

IMG_1816_2_1024x1024.jpg

Schroeder makes fantastic bridges…….. the brass saddles are an important part of the tone equation

Back