PRS with P90's?

Mike J.

I'm surprised I don't see any guitars with P90's on the PRS website. I know they have made guitars in the past with P90's.

Anyone know why not? Just curious.

I guess soapbar models must not be popular. If they were, PRS would make 'em.

I've had a few, mostly McCarty Soapbars and CU 22 Soapbars (they were production models in the late '90s and early '00s) and currently have one of the limited run Soapbar 594s. They're wonderful guitars. If you can find one, snag it. Well worth owning if you're into soapbars, as I am.

NdPbVRR.jpg

I guess soapbar models must not be popular. If they were, PRS would make 'em.

I've had a few, mostly McCarty Soapbars and CU 22 Soapbars (they were production models in the late '90s and early '00s) and currently have one of the limited run Soapbar 594s. They're wonderful guitars. If you can find one, snag it. Well worth owning if you're into soapbars, as I am.

Oh yes, the 594 Soapbar limiteds were sublime. Built in 2017:

IMG_3409.JPG

I’ve become a P90 guy. My stoptail is an SE Singlecut with tap P90’s, which was my first PRS guitar. In addition, I’m three deep in Custom 22 triple soapies. My musical life was changed when I got one. It’s my holy grail.

I had a gorgeous 3/P 90 model that played awesome sounded great clean but was just too noisy when playing dirty recording with my laptop picked up way too much EMI. I don’t have anyone else recording me, don’t have an isolation both, l need to reach the keys of the computer to rev/stop etc. so guess I was too close to it. Now I’m not knocking the the guitar or build quality, don’t get me wrong. It was just what happened in my case so I lost interest in it. I will say though….. Nothing like the sound of P90 pickups.

I had a gorgeous 3/P 90 model that played awesome sounded great clean but was just too noisy when playing dirty recording with my laptop picked up way too much EMI. I don’t have anyone else recording me, don’t have an isolation both, l need to reach the keys of the computer to rev/stop etc. so guess I was too close to it. Now I’m not knocking the the guitar or build quality, don’t get me wrong. It was just what happened in my case so I lost interest in it. I will say though….. Nothing like the sound of P90 pickups.
A while back when I was working, a friend of mine from work had an SE model with P90's. Said it was a great player but he had the same complaint you did regarding the noise factor. I must say when I see video's on YouTube you can't help but notice the noise when a player kicks on some gain. Sometimes it's not so bad and other times it's like whoa! But I know some players swear by P90's. Maybe a good shielding job would help? Don't know because I have no experience with those pickups.

A while back when I was working, a friend of mine from work had an SE model with P90's. Said it was a great player but he had the same complaint you did regarding the noise factor. I must say when I see video's on YouTube you can't help but notice the noise when a player kicks on some gain. Sometimes it's not so bad and other times it's like whoa! But I know some players swear by P90's. Maybe a good shielding job would help? Don't know because I have no experience with those pickups.
Noisegate helps, but there is no cure for regular P90s and hum. Sadly.

Love my korina mcsoapy. Lots of expression, tone and versatility.

Back