PRS Used Market?

Mec78

Anyone else notice the used market seems to be even or within like $150 for older core, older CE and newer CE and even S2’s are right there too? Just looking at GC used pages and it looks like all of these models can be had for between $950 and $1500. I think I paid $1200 that for an older McCarty several years ago so is the market stagnant or are the new versions of these models that sought after?

I don't think you'll find a McCarty for $1200 these days. They are generally $2k at least. Probably new pricing going up driving up the used market?

Actually GC has one for $1300 and one for $1599 if you’re in the market

I have been seeing prices that are out of what I would consider "reasonable" range for just about every brand out there. I mean, Squiers for $300+. I am not sure if if they are inflated for the purposes of negotiating down, or if that is what the market is dictating. But, what people think they are going to get for their guitars seems a bit much currently.

I was actually pointing out that all of those models on the used market at least from the GC used site seem to be clustered together (maybe they’re clustered high or clustered lowed but clustered they are). I’m my mind even an older core is still a core PRS and an older CE is a core carve with a bolt on neck. I would think those would fetch more than a newer but still used S2 given the higher starting price. Maybe I’m off.

It's hard to say what is driving the market lately. I've seen that the prices are generally higher than a few years ago. But hamburger is $3.99 a pound on sale. To be specific, the dollar is worth only .90 cents compared to a year ago. That's 10% inflation in 1 year due to the trillions spent on the virus. I'd say that is driving the market as much as anything. To your point about them all being bunched up together, that's just the market. People are pricing their guitars based on what others have sold for. So as you say, if the market wants the new ones, or if it is just that the old ones are increasing faster than the new ones are falling, it's just the level at which people will open their wallets.

It seems to me that Covid has driven used prices up.
I agree and blame covid. Stuck at home with free time, what better than pick up a guitar. Hell need cash, sell some guitars. Match made in covid. Some of the prices have been crazy. The past couple weeks I have noticed prices starting to drop back to reality on some models but still a long way to go to balance out.

Back