CE24: Converting from 3-way to rotary switch

Mind Flayer

I'm considering picking up one of the current versions of a USA CE24. These come with the three-way switch with push/pull pots for splitting.

However, I'm interested in converting it to the older rotary switch set up (I know, most people prefer the blade or 3-way switches, but I know there are some folks who still prefer the rotary system).

Is this do-able? Would it sound okay with the pickups they use in the current models? I like the idea of getting to those 2 and 4 position sounds without having to pull up the pots.

Yeah, you’ll have to add some washers to accommodate for the toggle hole since it’s a bit larger than a standard rotary diameter.

But it’s totally doable.

However, the 85/15’s that come in the CE24 don’t have all of the wires necessary for the parallel and series options. They only have a single tape wire.

Fortunately my CE24 has a set of custom hand wound Purewound zhangbucker.com pickups with taps into the next coil!
I'm seriously thinking about either a rotary myself, or that crazy 6 position toggle switch!

Yeah, you’ll have to add some washers to accommodate for the toggle hole since it’s a bit larger than a standard rotary diameter.

But it’s totally doable.

However, the 85/15’s that come in the CE24 don’t have all of the wires necessary for the parallel and series options. They only have a single tape wire.

Thanks. Not sure I follow on the wiring issue. I thought that with the 5-way rotary switch, you get the following tones:

(1) bridge humbucker;
(2) bridge humbucker + neck single in parallel;
(3) bridge + neck humbuckers;
(4) bridge single + neck single in parallel; and
(5) neck humbucker.

That's what I'd be going for if I put in the 5-way rotary. If the CE24s come with the ability to split the neck and bridge pickups, wouldn't the wires on the pickups be able to accommodate the switching options above?

If not, would that mean that I'd have to install new pickups?

So the CE24 85/15 pickups have different wiring from the Custom 24 ones. The CE ones have the braided wire with a single lead and white tap wire. The other ones come with black, white, red, shield (maybe green too, it’s been a bit). You need the ability to isolate north and south coils in order to get the multiple sound options.

If you decide to go rotary, you’ll need to swap the pickups.

Also to note is that back in the day, I believe the neck pickup was reversed polarity to accomplish the rotary sounds.

So the CE24 85/15 pickups have different wiring from the Custom 24 ones. The CE ones have the braided wire with a single lead and white tap wire. The other ones come with black, white, red, shield (maybe green too, it’s been a bit). You need the ability to isolate north and south coils in order to get the multiple sound options.

If you decide to go rotary, you’ll need to swap the pickups.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation!

I believe the "original 5 way rotary" was wired as follows:
Position 10: Bridge pickup
Position 9: Outside coils in parallel
Position 8: Inside coils in series
Position 7: Inside coils in parallel
Position 6: Neck pickup

I believe the "original 5 way rotary" was wired as follows:
Position 10: Bridge pickup
Position 9: Outside coils in parallel
Position 8: Inside coils in series
Position 7: Inside coils in parallel
Position 6: Neck pickup
Positions 9 and 10 are the shtuff though!

What do you all think of the five way?
My older CE-22 and Dragons had the five way till it failed. I just have a 3-way toggle now and no splitting.
I never replaced the 5-way due to cost.
I also did not like the volume drop in some modes.
I'm thinking about installing another 5-way switch now.
I miss the splitting options, but it's hard to gig with the level drop. Good for recording though or if using a boost in the loop.
Frustrating.

What do you all think of the five way?
My older CE-22 and Dragons had the five way till it failed. I just have a 3-way toggle now and no splitting.
I never replaced the 5-way due to cost.
I also did not like the volume drop in some modes.
I'm thinking about installing another 5-way switch now.
I miss the splitting options, but it's hard to gig with the level drop. Good for recording though or if using a boost in the loop.
Frustrating.

I have a Custom 24 and a CE24, both with the 5-way (the CE24 has a rotary, the CU24 has a 5-way blade). I don't experience a volume drop with either of them when I use the 2 and 4 positions. It's definitely a less "full" sound, but the volume is still there. I think that's what makes PRS's somewhat unique -- they seem to have mastered the coil splitting (or whatever the right term is) so that you don't experience volume drops, unlike on most Fenders and Gibsons that have that as an option.

Back