PRS Strap Button Issues

Matt H.

Yes, though Ibanez comes in a close second to best strap buttons, I have found that even expensive straps are no match for the PRS buttons. The openings have to be enlarged to accommodate.

My question is, are the straps PRS sells worthy of the oversize stock strap buttons?

I’ve been very happy with the regular PRS ‘Birds’ leather straps for my guitars and thoroughly recommend them. Yes, they suit the buttons but more importantly are super comfortable.

I think some design changes have been made to accommodate the larger buttons. I have a few PRS straps and they do go over the buttons, when new, and get easier as the leather is worked/worn in.
And yes, very comfortable, too. Just make sure they are all the way around the button. ;):D:eek:
I also keep an eye out for straps with larger holes for this reason. There's an acoustic maker that has fine straps ,
and they come with larger holes (possibly there for strap-lock installation ???) , which are an easy fit over the PRS buttons.
(And they even have your name on them, if you were named the same as an astronaut in the old Planet of the Apes movies)

I used to swap all my PRS strap button to the dunlop duals, until I discovered Ethos straps. Super nice straps, very comfortable, and the the leather is supple enough to work over the PRS buttons with ease. Not cheap though.

I replaced mine with some spare Gibson ones (I know, I know....) but only because I had a really nice strap that I love, fitted to my les paul and wanted to carry on using it when I got my Vela.

My old leather straps and my DARE strap have no issues going over the large buttons. I have a "newish" leather strap that is almost impossible to get over the button. I'm not sure if it'll ever loosen up enough to easily go over the button. I'm thinking about taking a knife to it. I think it is a Levi. But until I actually do that I try to make sure it is not the strap I grab to go with any of my PRSi.

I've had a few straps that were extremely difficult to go over the button. So, instead of cutting the hole bigger, I just unscrew strap button and attach the strap from underneath and then screw the button back to the guitar. I know that is a pain if you intend to take this strap off when not in use, but I keep the straps on.

I used to swap all my PRS strap button to the dunlop duals, until I discovered Ethos straps. Super nice straps, very comfortable, and the the leather is supple enough to work over the PRS buttons with ease. Not cheap though.
+1 on Ethos. I've got a bunch of them.

My guitars are almost all in gig bags. I leave the PRS straps on, and fold them under the bottom of the guitar for extra protection.

411Ee2SCyEL._AC_.jpg

Where and how would you use this on a leather strap?
Besides, if you don't already have one of those monsters, I'd suppose they are more expensive than a pack of good looking $12-15 strap-locks? Dunno.

I prefer this (He's even using a PRS):

Buying a guitar that costs anywhere in the $1100 - ∞ range, I'd say a good strap-lock is warranted.

Or you'll be like one of those guys that drives a super expensive car, but have no money for gas or a place to live and end up living in the car (or in the guitar hard-case I guess).

Last edited:
If you're not going to switch straps... All I do is unscrew the strap button, push it (the skinny side) through the top of the strap hole, and then screw the button back into the guitar. Mission accomplished, with minimal effort.

That is a way.
Albeit not a very flexible one. I'd file this under "for emergencies" and a decent strap-lock under "solutions".
But creative, so +1 point for that!

That is a way.
Albeit not a very flexible one. I'd file this under "for emergencies" and a decent strap-lock under "solutions".
But creative, so +1 point for that!
And that's why I started with.... "If you're not going to switch straps."

Back