Strap locks or not?

dmatthews

Dave's not here
I never thought I'd want/need strap locks. But... my recent acquisition of a 2000 SC came with the older version of Schaller locks and I somehow convinced myself to change half of the herd over to the new version Schaller S lock system.
They are now incoming.
I have 3 or 4 straps I like, and seem to take 2 guitars to practice weekly. Those "mostly" rotate between 4 or 5 guitars.
So... this will be an experiment for me, and I'm expecting positive results.
Am I nutz? I've always loved the oversized PRS buttons (Bass string trees). But I'm not a fan of getting straps on/off of them.
What do you guys/gals like?
Fire away!

I never thought I'd want/need strap locks. But... my recent acquisition of a 2000 SC came with the older version of Schaller locks and I somehow convinced myself to change half of the herd over to the new version Schaller S lock system.
They are now incoming.
I have 3 or 4 straps I like, and seem to take 2 guitars to practice weekly. Those "mostly" rotate between 4 or 5 guitars.
So... this will be an experiment for me, and I'm expecting positive results.
Am I nutz? I've always loved the oversized PRS buttons (Bass string trees). But I'm not a fan of getting straps on/off of them.
What do you guys/gals like?
Fire away!

You can have 2 sets of this (two set of strap buttons and one set of locking horseshoe thing - whatever you call it) if you cover the shipping

Edit: I actually changed my mind - you are nice enough so I will cover the shipping. Dm me your address

You can have 2 sets of this (two set of strap buttons and one set of locking horseshoe thing - whatever you call it) if you cover the shipping

Edit: I actually changed my mind - you are nice enough so I will cover the shipping. Dm me your address
Wow Simon, that is incredibly kind of you I must say.
I think however that the shipping to the colonies is likely prohibitively expensive.
Perhaps best gifted to one of our many UK members?
Truly kind of you. Obviously not a fan?

I like the new style ok, but I don’t find the release spring to be as responsive. I’m also not excited about the larger built-in screw on the buttons.
Ah, I misread that. Yeah, the buttons. They are available with 3 sizes of screw I think (S, M, L). My incoming are all Ms.
Also some peeps are not liking the switch from Phillips to Allen.

I like my Ernie Ball Super Locks quite a bit. I put them on everything.

I’m a Dunlop guy. I think I had a Schaller failure once in 1989 and then switched for life, apparently.

It’s easier for me to find guitars I like the looks of than it is to find straps, so I cannot deal with the bass string trees.
I'll need to look at both of these.

Wow Simon, that is incredibly kind of you I must say.
I think however that the shipping to the colonies is likely prohibitively expensive.
Perhaps best gifted to one of our many UK members?
Truly kind of you. Obviously not a fan?
Not so much against the concept more like trusting in Stock PRS buttons + grolsh washers. I'm using dedicated straps to the guitar so I just don't need it as much as I thought I would :) I'm really trying not to be a fan boy here but I think Paul got it right.

Let me know if you change your mind

Not so much against the concept more like trusting in Stock PRS buttons + grolsh washers. I'm using dedicated straps to the guitar so I just don't need it as much as I thought I would :) I'm really trying not to be a fan boy here but I think Paul got it right.

Let me know if you change your mind
Cheers mate.
I think the bass string trees are brilliant, and I've been using them for 12 years so far. As much as a toady as I am I guess I wanted to try something new with an easier way to swap/transport guitars to practice and gigs.
I'll know more in a week or two.

I echo many of the sentiments here! The PRS strap buttons are I think the best solution to a "standard" strap button with their size and shape!! So that is great, but getting them on and off, as many have echoed in other threads, is never the best part of your guitar day!!! I have the Ernie Ball straplocks on my Stingray (thought I would stick with the brand as it was the only one I wanted it for at the time) and my Strat (ride along one the EB train thought) and I really like them. 5 years I believe (but minimal use) and they do what they should very well IMO!!!! After viewing many of the products in the space, I came up with a few ideas that I think may be better, but I am more concerned with playing my guitars when I have time rather than inventing a new strap lock and starting a business! There are certainly improvements that could be made to the systems that are out there, but I am on the verge of committing to one of these existing systems, so I will be intrigued by the feedback rendered here!! I always love a good "Beta vs VHS" exchange!

Back