Strap locks or not?

I've actually seen strap locks come off the guitar during shows, both brands. Not that it matters all that much to most of you who like them.

I have the companies who make my straps set them up for the stock PRS buttons - both Heistercamp and Richter will do this. Generally, a 1" buttonhole solves the problem, but Heistercamp also now makes a PRS size buttonhole that works just fine for me. With the Heistercamp straps, you have to use their super soft leather...which is pretty darn nice stuff, and not all that smooshy-soft at all.

Then again, I've never had a guitar fall off the strap, and I've been playing since 1967. I have no idea what the f$ck you guys do to have them fall off, it's simply never, ever happened to me.

We are talking a LOT of gigs and recording sessions over the past 55 years! And this is with both Gibson and PRS guitars.

Are you jumping on trampolines upside down when playing, or something? I simply don't get it.

I've actually seen strap locks come off the guitar during shows, both brands. Not that it matters all that much to most of you who like them.

I have the companies who make my straps set them up for the stock PRS buttons - both Heistercamp and Richter will do this. Generally, a 1" buttonhole solves the problem, but Heistercamp also now makes a PRS size buttonhole that works just fine for me. With the Heistercamp straps, you have to use their super soft leather...which is pretty darn nice stuff, and not all that smooshy-soft at all.

Then again, I've never had a guitar fall off the strap, and I've been playing since 1967. I have no idea what the f$ck you guys do to have them fall off, it's simply never, ever happened to me.

We are talking a LOT of gigs and recording sessions over the past 55 years! And this is with both Gibson and PRS guitars.

Are you jumping on trampolines upside down when playing, or something? I simply don't get it.
I've had a strap let loose on my 305 and P22.
The strap hole must have been just the right (wrong) size, and I bet the strap was sitting folded over and instead of swiveling it peeled itself off.
So a couple of times for me over many thousands of hours.

Washers I got from the DIY shop a few years back. 20 pence each. Never failed.
I always used the rubber washers on my Fenders and Gibsons but the giant strap buttons on my PRS would allow them. But at the same time because of the huge buttons the strap was really secure so I didn't feel I needed a lock. I did eventually put schallers on it though.

My only issue with the schallers was the fat screw. It's way wide than the stock one PRS used on my guitat (1990, not sure if same now) and so now the hole is wider. If I ever want to put the old ones back on it will require some extra work to adapt to hole back to a small screw shaft, even if I just stick in some broken toothpicks to give it something to grab. I'd prefer mods like this to be 100% reversible, the Schaller's aren't.

Marvel on all of mine.

I like the pressure plate at the back of the part that’s attached to the strap. No chance of accidentally disengaging.

What even at the Lester Van Schefman shows?!!:p

I have old schallers on everything except one les Paul has Dunlop’s. I have had the schallers fail. The button wore a bit and become more oval shape than round. Luckily I caught the guitar and replaced the buttons. I just picked up a new DGT and I might try the new s locks. Or maybe something different.

I have used both Schaller and Dunlop over the years and prefer the Dunlop Dual Design. I do stupid things onstage as soon as I put on the guitar which necessitates said strap locks .

I like the S-locks quite a bit. I have them on 2 straps that use regularly. I have a mix of old and new style buttons depending on the guitar age. I put the new ones on the guitars I use most.

If Schallers, Dunlop or other locking types are used, make sure you check and tighten them frequently. I also think they can be rattly and squeak. I changed all my buttons to Gibson types and use rubber/silicone washers. They are silent, hold snug, cheap and you can get them in a variety of colors. Although, I don't do any acrobatics when playing.

I'm about to swap to something else. Haven't really decided but I want something that I can use with the stock buttons. The problem for me is, I play seated about say 80% of the time. With my jacked up shoulder, I have to play with the lower cut-out sitting on my left leg (kinda classical guitar style). So, the strap post digs into my right inner thigh, to the point of leaving noticable soreness and visible marks in that spot. The factory buttons don't bother me as much as my current locks(I can't remember the brand, but they have the button that pulls out to unlock) and I gotta try something else these things are killin me!

I found these. Satch himself endorses them and has his own Sig. Line with them. So, has anybody else tried them? They're so simple they scare me, but the video seems legit. Still looks like a bread tie thingy. But sometimes simple is better. But I dunno?

P.S. if anyone else mentioned them before...my bad...a thousand pardons.

I'm about to swap to something else. Haven't really decided but I want something that I can use with the stock buttons. The problem for me is, I play seated about say 80% of the time. With my jacked up shoulder, I have to play with the lower cut-out sitting on my left leg (kinda classical guitar style). So, the strap post digs into my right inner thigh, to the point of leaving noticable soreness and visible marks in that spot. The factory buttons don't bother me as much as my current locks(I can't remember the brand, but they have the button that pulls out to unlock) and I gotta try something else these things are killin me!

I found these. Satch himself endorses them and has his own Sig. Line with them. So, has anybody else tried them? They're so simple they scare me, but the video seems legit. Still looks like a bread tie thingy. But sometimes simple is better. But I dunno?

P.S. if anyone else mentioned them before...my bad...a thousand pardons.

Looks cool! Will be interested in what you think!

Les, are you familiar with the term "shake it till you break it?" I know we're all getting older, but some of us can still shake it pretty good without breaking anything.

TWSS

Yeah I know that one, but I've also heard "shake it till you make it". that's one I heard this stripper "friend" of mine say once. She was an aspiring movie star....from Birmingham. :rolleyes:

I prefer "Fake it till you make it". Pretty much sums up my guitar playing. Ya know, because I really have no friggin idea what I'm doing.;)

Back