Strap locks or not?

I'm about to swap to something else. Haven't really decided but I want something that I can use with the stock buttons. The problem for me is, I play seated about say 80% of the time. With my jacked up shoulder, I have to play with the lower cut-out sitting on my left leg (kinda classical guitar style). So, the strap post digs into my right inner thigh, to the point of leaving noticable soreness and visible marks in that spot. The factory buttons don't bother me as much as my current locks(I can't remember the brand, but they have the button that pulls out to unlock) and I gotta try something else these things are killin me!

I found these. Satch himself endorses them and has his own Sig. Line with them. So, has anybody else tried them? They're so simple they scare me, but the video seems legit. Still looks like a bread tie thingy. But sometimes simple is better. But I dunno?

P.S. if anyone else mentioned them before...my bad...a thousand pardons.

Looks like an industrial strength bread tie thingy.:p:D

(Still hating these new smilies)

I used to use the grolsch rubber but since I've discovered PRS no need. I've never had an issue with my leather straps fitting the buttons either. I may have had to stretch one a bit here and there but that's not a big deal with quality leather straps.

First use of Schallers tonight. We shall(er) see how it goes.
One thing of note... of the 4 sets I bought, one of the pearl buttons refuses to fit into any of the locks.
We shall(er) also see how the dealer deals with that!

Wow... I sent a message through Reverb to where I bought my 4 sets of S Locks regarding the single defective button, and this is the response I got when I got home from practice...
Hey Dave!
Sounds like this is probably a manufacturing defect, it's possible that the plating was just a little too thick on the one button.
We usually keep stock of spare parts for these, but as we're currently out of spare buttons in Satin Pearl, I'm going to send you a full kit to replace the one with the defective button. No need to return anything. I'll send you the tracking number as soon as it's on the way.
Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
Cheers,
Ryan

Now is that AWESOME or what?
Kittmer Guitars in Ontario is where I got them.
They obviously rock!

Wow... I sent a message through Reverb to where I bought my 4 sets of S Locks regarding the single defective button, and this is the response I got when I got home from practice...
Hey Dave!
Sounds like this is probably a manufacturing defect, it's possible that the plating was just a little too thick on the one button.
We usually keep stock of spare parts for these, but as we're currently out of spare buttons in Satin Pearl, I'm going to send you a full kit to replace the one with the defective button. No need to return anything. I'll send you the tracking number as soon as it's on the way.
Cheers,
Ryan

They obviously rock!

AWESOME indeed! THAT'S what exceptional customer service looks like! Glad they got you taken care of my man!

Hey Dave!
Cheers,
Ryan

They obviously rock!
Excellent customer service - seems that's going around. I screwed up ordering the new Tremonti Sinatra album - I wanted the CD and vinyl and had both in my cart, but apparently hit the wrong button and only ordered the vinyl. I sent an e-mail and asked if there was any way I could add the CD (mainly to avoid shipping charges for a second order), even if it meant cancelling and reordering. Within minutes, I had an invoice for the CD and the cost difference. Such a simple solution, but it seems sadly too rare these days.

I will have to check these products out. I have locking straps on my Parker it wasn’t aware that they made them for PRS. But of course they make them for these guitars. What a DOH moment. Lol

AWESOME indeed! THAT'S what exceptional customer service looks like! Glad they got you taken care of my man!

Excellent customer service - seems that's going around. I screwed up ordering the new Tremonti Sinatra album - I wanted the CD and vinyl and had both in my cart, but apparently hit the wrong button and only ordered the vinyl. I sent an e-mail and asked if there was any way I could add the CD (mainly to avoid shipping charges for a second order), even if it meant cancelling and reordering. Within minutes, I had an invoice for the CD and the cost difference. Such a simple solution, but it seems sadly too rare these days.
I was so impressed that even though they don't have a gold set for my P22 I asked if they could order it and I'd wait and pay whatever their price is instead of shopping elsewhere.
Dayum fine indeed.

I bought some strap locks but they have like a rubber washer to protect abrasion between the lock and the surface of the guitar. This is really BUGGING the hell out of me. This can’t be good for the finish. I debate playing my guitar with a strap because this is under my OCD radar. Can I put something under it like a fine piece of surfed or leather.

I bought some strap locks but they have like a rubber washer to protect abrasion between the lock and the surface of the guitar. This is really BUGGING the hell out of me. This can’t be good for the finish. I debate playing my guitar with a strap because this is under my OCD radar. Can I put something under it like a fine piece of surfed or leather.
These S Locks come with a felt ring for just this purpose.

PSA...

My choice for Schaller S Locks were Black Chrome and Satin Pearl.
The Satin Pearl sets came with one button that just wouldn't fit into any of the locks.
As said earlier in this thread, the seller (Kittmer Guitars) hit it out of the park by sending me a replacement set no questions asked and no need to send the defective button or set back. Stellar service!
Here's the PSA...
One of the buttons in the replacement set has the same issue. I now understand that the satin pearl coating is not a perfect process.
I believe it is the satin coating that is the problem. The chrome/nickel/gold variants won't have the issue.
Likely I could fix it with some careful sanding, but no need as of yet.
Stick to the non satin units and you'll be good to go.

I have the locking strap with the clip on my zakk wylde camo les paul, and i always fear the buckle scratching it in the case. But i just bought 4 PRS poly straps with leather ends, and I don't think they will EVER come off :cool:

Back