NGD - 2022 Tremonti Stoptail

Awesome guitar! How do you find the two (trem and stoptail) compare? I’m looking to get my first Tremonti and am leaning towards a stoptail, but they are harder to find.

I have a CU24, DGT, and a SSH so I’m covered in the trem front, but wondering how the two Tremonti models compare if I only get one.
A cool thing on a Tremonti trem is the extra route for the trem.

Awesome guitar! How do you find the two (trem and stoptail) compare? I’m looking to get my first Tremonti and am leaning towards a stoptail, but they are harder to find.

I have a CU24, DGT, and a SSH so I’m covered in the trem front, but wondering how the two Tremonti models compare if I only get one.

Personally, if I were to have only one, it would be the stoptail. The PRS tremelo is very stable (I upgraded with FU tone springs) though it is still a tremelo and thus I have to make minor tuning adjustments more often. As you already have several trem-equiped guitars, this is not likely a surprise to you.

I expected the stoptail tone to be different from the tremelo simply from the fact it does not have a big hole cut in the back of it. If there is a tone difference I do not hear it with my playing (high gain: punk/metal/hardcore). The stoptail feel a little heavier though that is to be expected with more wood and this will vary between even the same model. Moving between the two is seamless though the stoptail's action feels slightly higher than the tremelo, not so much on the fretboard, but it feels higher off the body.

As I expected, everything feels very similar between the two models. I keep the stoptail in E-standard and the tremelo in D-standard, which gives me more reason to play both :cool: In closing, the Core Tremonti is a fantastic model and both versions are a real joy to play. The body, neck, and pickup configuration make this an amazing playing guitar. If you already have other trem-equiped guitars and are comfortable with that system, then you cannot go wrong with either version. I never use the tremelo and strongly prefer fixed bridge guitars which lead to my search for a stoptail. It feels more natural to me and I can discern little tone difference.

Personally, if I were to have only one, it would be the stoptail. The PRS tremelo is very stable (I upgraded with FU tone springs) though it is still a tremelo and thus I have to make minor tuning adjustments more often. As you already have several trem-equiped guitars, this is not likely a surprise to you.

I expected the stoptail tone to be different from the tremelo simply from the fact it does not have a big hole cut in the back of it. If there is a tone difference I do not hear it with my playing (high gain: punk/metal/hardcore). The stoptail feel a little heavier though that is to be expected with more wood and this will vary between even the same model. Moving between the two is seamless though the stoptail's action feels slightly higher than the tremelo, not so much on the fretboard, but it feels higher off the body.

As I expected, everything feels very similar between the two models. I keep the stoptail in E-standard and the tremelo in D-standard, which gives me more reason to play both :cool: In closing, the Core Tremonti is a fantastic model and both versions are a real joy to play. The body, neck, and pickup configuration make this an amazing playing guitar. If you already have other trem-equiped guitars and are comfortable with that system, then you cannot go wrong with either version. I never use the tremelo and strongly prefer fixed bridge guitars which lead to my search for a stoptail. It feels more natural to me and I can discern little tone difference.
Thank you! That’s extremely helpful feedback. I think I’m going to go for a stoptail. I greatly prefer natural backs as well, so I think it’s going to take some searching to find.

Enjoy the new guitar

Wow, not sure how I missed this a few weeks ago! Congrats on a great score, looks fantastic!! And kudos on continuing to tell yourself that is the last one (like you said, that is the wife talkin' anyway)!!!
Maybe I spoke too soon. The elusive Tremonti stoptail in CHARCOAL popped over the weekend and I was not going to miss out... Third Tremonti is in transit for a NGD on Friday. At that point I will have 3 Tremonti's and 3 594's. Either I will be done or have to start the hunt for a fatback CU24 or a broken in CU22 for a little more variety.

Last edited:
Maybe I spoke too soon. The elusive Tremonti stoptail in CHARCOAL popped over the weekend and I was not going to miss out... Third Tremonti is in transit for a NGD on Friday. At that point I will have 3 Tremonti's and 3 594's. Either I will be done or have to start the hunt for a fatback CU24 or a broken in CU22 for a little more variety.
Heck yeah! Congrats!

Utmost congratulations! Nice add to the stable!

Back