NGD (Finally!) Charcoal 2022 Tremonti Stoptail

xxxadixxx

Today has been a long time coming! When I started my PRS quest many years ago (long before I could dream of affording one) I always wanted a whale blue Custom 22. Fast forward to late 2021 and I purchased my first PRS, an aquamarine DC594. That guitar blew me away in terms of tone, playability, quality, etc. and made me realize that while the guitar is incredibly versatile, it was not going to do everything I wanted. Many on this forum may me feel more comfortable indulging in the urge to keep my DC594 from getting lonely. First came a SC594 (now my #1!). I love the single cut feeling and sound. The balance and mass just feel perfect for me. Then I kept hearing about the range of different pick-ups and tones available which lead me to my SC594 soapbar and my first Tremonti (2022 Tremelo in gray black, it was not my first choice at the time). The Tremonti is a phenomenal instrument and an amazing complement to my 594's. Ever since I received my initial Tremonti, while I loved playing it, a few "minor" points kept haunting me:
1. I am not a tremelo user and have no interest in the added "complexity"
2. I prefer a little more contrast than the gray black offers
3. Black/opaque backs/sides really do not do it for me. I like the look of natural wood and the contrast with an amazing top

When I purchased that first Tremonti in July 2022, it was a "settle" guitar because I was impatient and the holy grail guitar (Tremonti stoptail in charcoal) seemed so tough to find. Every time I saw one, either new or used, it lasted a day or so. Always out of reach. I purchased the gray black Tremelo to make sure the Tremonti was a good model for me and I played it a ton. Dropped-C and D-standard kill on that guitar! The more I played it, the more I loved the feel and sound which made it that much more painful that I was getting caught up on some of the visual aspects. What can I say, the visual side is a big motivator for me and adds to my enjoyment of playing the guitar.

A couple of months ago, I stumbled across a great deal on another 2022 Tremonti (Purple Iris) in a stoptail. I grabbed it without hesitation to check out the stoptail configuration, and loved it! There I was with two Tremonti's (and three 594's) feeling like my PRS family was complete. Even if the Tremonti tremelo was the outcast of the bunch (first world problems, tell me about it!) these guitars all fit a need and are amazing to play. I always kept my eye on Reverb just in case.

Then it happened this past Sunday morning. I woke up to find a gently used 2022 Tremonti stoptail IN CHARCOAL! This was a dream come true for me... except it had been up for ~6 hours and already had an offer. As I pondered options and let another two hours go by, it received a second offer. At this point, I was panicking. I contacted the Seller with a few last minute questions and took my shot. After an eternity (maybe an hour in real life) he accepted my offer. The guitar arrived today and is in incredible shape. It is more striking than I could have imagined from the pictures. It will get new strings and Schaller strap locks tonight before being fully welcomed into the family.

As for the 2022 Tremonti Tremelo in gray black, I listed it on Reverb last night. It's an amazing guitar and deserves to be with someone who will play it more than I will.... that and it was very hard to defend three of the "same" guitar to the boss!

New Guitar:
52817512525_0ab3137649_c.jpg

Contrast for days!
52817513500_6e4b81b815_c.jpg

52817298464_8f7b24a0e4_z.jpg

Comparison between gray black and charcoal:
52817102591_d3633d5219_z.jpg

New Family Photo:
52817102226_ac7e395b14_c.jpg

It's cool to see a popping charcoal finish like that with the natural back and sides, wood library? I noticed that's a theme with your other guitars. Very nice. You're very blessed, sir.

It's cool to see a popping charcoal finish like that with the natural back and sides, wood library? I noticed that's a theme with your other guitars. Very nice. You're very blessed, sir.
Thanks. It is not a wood library, surprisingly. Yes, I have a type... the natural back is where it is at for me. Over a year ago, I stumbled on a site which tracked PRS core paint colors for both the front and back over time. That was how I ended up with the aquamarine 594 (which has a natural back) instead of a whale blue guitar (like I wanted for 25+ yrs), which has a painted back. That site was also where I stumbled on the charcoal color and I was hooked. The beauty of PRS guitars is there really are tons of options to fit anyone's tastes. It is pretty cool to see different top/back color combinations over time which could allow someone to target specific years.

Thanks. It is not a wood library, surprisingly. Yes, I have a type... the natural back is where it is at for me. Over a year ago, I stumbled on a site which tracked PRS core paint colors for both the front and back over time. That was how I ended up with the aquamarine 594 (which has a natural back) instead of a whale blue guitar (like I wanted for 25+ yrs), which has a painted back. That site was also where I stumbled on the charcoal color and I was hooked. The beauty of PRS guitars is there really are tons of options to fit anyone's tastes. It is pretty cool to see different top/back color combinations over time which could allow someone to target specific years.
For the price of admission with these guitars new on the floor, I'd love the option of choosing a painted back or natural on any finish they offer during the ordering process when you choose your neck profile and such. I dearly love faded whale blue but it would look better almost every time in my books with a natural back and sides finish. Same with charcoal which is usually painted as well.

Lucky for you that sweet charcoal Tremonti is perfect as is!

WOW!!! Stunning instrument, what a beautiful top. It’s easy to defend having three of the same model, one’s a trem and one is purple (in different tuning) and one is charcoal (in standard tuning)…. a Very happy family!

Congrats and enjoy!!!

Super happy for you! Great to hear the EXACT guitar you wanted came along that you were able to grab. I'm the same way - I'm just as much caught up on the visuals of a guitar in addition to the sound and feel. Even if it feels right, I can't settle if it doesn't please my visual tastes.

Super happy for you! Great to hear the EXACT guitar you wanted came along that you were able to grab. I'm the same way - I'm just as much caught up on the visuals of a guitar in addition to the sound and feel. Even if it feels right, I can't settle if it doesn't please my visual tastes.
Yeah... I'm not spending $3k-$18k on guitars is they're not beautiful...

Back