PRS SE Paul’s Guitar!

I was just saying if I put the free way in a Paul’s guitar it would have basically every option possible. Because in any position that it’s using the neck and/or bridge you would have the added options that the mini toggles bring. So in the the “normal” side it would have all 8 “stock” sounds. Then on the other side, the top and bottom position would both have two flavors. So, if my math is right, it would actually have 13 options.

And I just now found out about their blade switch. I’ve used megaswitches before for more options on guitars that had blade switches. I’ll have to check out their switch and all what it does. And while it sounds like I like an over abundance of option, it’s really the opposite. I like a few. But some of them aren’t common. So to get those extra options I’ll end up with more than I need. Luckily those “extras” can be handy. As long as they don’t make things cumbersome, it’s worth it. And that’s one of the things I didn’t like about the 513. It was too hard to go from bridge humbucker to neck single coil.

Anyway I digress. Back to how cool the SE Paul’s guitar is stock. :)

I was just saying if I put the free way in a Paul’s guitar it would have basically every option possible. Because in any position that it’s using the neck and/or bridge you would have the added options that the mini toggles bring. So in the the “normal” side it would have all 8 “stock” sounds. Then on the other side, the top and bottom position would both have two flavors. So, if my math is right, it would actually have 13 options.

And I just now found out about their blade switch. I’ve used megaswitches before for more options on guitars that had blade switches. I’ll have to check out their switch and all what it does. And while it sounds like I like an over abundance of option, it’s really the opposite. I like a few. But some of them aren’t common. So to get those extra options I’ll end up with more than I need. Luckily those “extras” can be handy. As long as they don’t make things cumbersome, it’s worth it. And that’s one of the things I didn’t like about the 513. It was too hard to go from bridge humbucker to neck single coil.

Anyway I digress. Back to how cool the SE Paul’s guitar is stock. :)

The Pauls guitar has 8 options - that's basically every single combination possible with a 2 PU combination that can be either full or split. I don't know what other flavours you are referring to, what the other 5 options could be. You have 2 options for the Bridge - full or split, the same 2 options for the neck and 4 options in the middle position - HH, SS, HS, SH - I don't see what the other 5 options you are referring too?

The Pauls guitar has 8 options - that's basically every single combination possible with a 2 PU combination that can be either full or split. I don't know what other flavours you are referring to, what the other 5 options could be. You have 2 options for the Bridge - full or split, the same 2 options for the neck and 4 options in the middle position - HH, SS, HS, SH - I don't see what the other 5 options you are referring too?

The 5 other options would be available by adding a middle single coil and freeway switch.

Neck HB + middle

Neck single + middle

Middle

Middle + bridge single coil

Middle + bridge HB.

The 5 other options would be available by adding a middle single coil and freeway switch.

Neck HB + middle

Neck single + middle

Middle

Middle + bridge single coil

Middle + bridge HB.

But that would mean you would have to route out the body to fit a middle PU as the guitar doesn't come with one. Something I wouldn't be prepared to do myself.

I’m comfortable with doing it. But I’ve been building and fabricating stuff most of my life. So that’s not a worry for me. :)

artie.jpg

I’m comfortable with doing it. But I’ve been building and fabricating stuff most of my life. So that’s not a worry for me. :)

If you are comfortable to route in a middle pick-up, that is up to you. Even if I was comfortable to do this, I would most likely only consider doing this on an SE guitar as that is a lot cheaper than the core model and less likely to lose money on a permanent modification. If having a middle PU is so important, why not commission a PS build and have the routing done before it reaches the finishing stage. You could also include instruction on the wiring too. If I was commissioning a HSH type guitar, I would probably ask for an extra mini toggle to switch the middle position back and forth between both humbuckers together and the middle SC on its own.

For me, I would just be happy to just modify my 509 to have a way to instantly swap between the middle SC and both Humbuckers. I see the Special utilises both humbuckers in the middle position so you can't pick the Narrowfield on its own and I would prefer that to just the middle PU but I would still like the option to use it when I need to. The 'easiest' way as I see it would be to swap the tone pot for a push/pull tone pot as that shouldn't require ANY body modifications and reversible back to stock easily - not that I would consider selling it. The other aspect a 509 offers that Pauls doesn't is a trem bridge and I wouldn't want to route in a trem option too if that's important to you as well.

The 509 and Pauls guitar are very different, which was what started this conversation. Jonesing over a 509 and considering a Pauls as an alternative still doesn't make sense because they are very different. Routing in a middle PU still won't make it a 509/513 as it will sound different as well as lack a trem bridge. Routing too could change the tonal quality of the guitar so to me, the 'easiest' option would be to buy a 509 and change a tone pot to enable both humbuckers together.

All of this though is not really related to the point of this thread. The Pauls Guitar SE version still offers the 8 options thanks to its independent humbucker splitting - which unlike the 3way with push/pull you may find on a lot of the PRS twin Humbucker models that only offers 6 different options. I think this looks to be 'great' value for what you are getting as it is. I know it maybe creeping up in price to cheapest US made guitar but you also have to consider how 'cheap' it is to the core Pauls guitar - the only guitar that it should be compared to!

Oh I would just buy a 509 and be happy if funds allowed. I’d still have my 594 too. But that and a PS are well out of my budget. At least for now. And I would never dare do this to a core. Just the SE. and I realize it’s not going to be the same. But I also have a “strat” build with a padouk 24.75” neck and it sounds pretty darn stratty. Anyway. Yes enough talk about mods and such.

All these plans to buy a brand new gittar and instantly transform it into something else...
Makes me wonder what a player could accomplish with this model in it's stock config... :cool:

Oh it’s not transforming it, but enhancing it with even more options. ;)

My reasoning is this, I had planned on building an HSH guitar from scratch. But add up the cost of parts, and it’s not far from what the SE Paul’s guitar costs. And I seriously I doubt I can accomplish a first build as good as a PRS SE. So it could be more productive for me to simply mod an existing guitar that’s very close to what I want, than build from scratch. And this is the first se with a carved top. That’s one reason I was still planning on building my own. And still may as I was planning a carved/beveled hybrid. But I digress. Anyway this guitar is 90% of what I had in mind. But I wouldn’t have the satisfaction of saying I built it. So that is why I haven’t pre ordered one either. Decisions decisions.

One of the first video's I have seen of anyone demoing the SE version...

It's great these are finally getting reviewed, but this review...well, it didn't do much for me. The hybrid picking was distracting from the guitar, for me at least, and subsequent viewings hasn't changed that initial impression. I did like towards the end when he finally let the note sustain, that's what I was wanting to hear. A few chord progressions and maybe a bit of dirt to see how this guitar handles different tones would've been nice to hear as well. It also would've been nice to know what he was using as an amp/profile unit. Maybe next reviewer...

Having said that, I'm so looking forward to trying one of these bad boys out for myself!

It does look thick - LIKE

Waited for gain or something else style wise - so different than what I play.

Bottom line for me is I have 4 core models that all tap and do a nice job of getting a single coil tone. In reality I very rarely if ever use that feature of my guitars. This does an even better job of a feature that is minimally important to ME, so I most likely will not get one. Again, MHO.

That SE is a looker. I have two guitars with the Paul's Switching System - a Core Paul's Guitar and a Brent Mason. Both use the narrow 408, but the BM adds a 305 single in the middle. Talk about versatile. You can get almost endless tones. The ONLY bummer is that the BM uses a 5-way blade. I wish it had a 3-way with a third mini to toggle the 305 in and out. That would give me almost anything I could want.....

Another video about the new Paul's Guitar. This video is more about the Standard Paul's Guitar and then how the SE Paul's guitar compares. It sounds great btw in this...

Back