Benji

Hey guys first post.
So i just bought a brand new se custom 24, and it arrived 2 days ago. The thing is gorgeous, but some things are concerning me. The set up is atrocious, but on top of that the tone knob is scratchy, and the coil tap makes strange pops when you press it in. Also, when I play a lower note and bend a higher string, the low note drops by around a half step, sometimes more or less. The guitar just doesn't feel quality, and has loads of minor problems that just worry me.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a seven hundred fifty dollar guitar should have these issues. Is this normal stuff on a new guitar? I've never bought a new guitar mainly just fixed up thrift store guitars. I'm not fortunate enough to afford anything super nice, and it's super disappointing to see these issues on a guitar I've been saving for almost a year to afford. Does this thing just need a good professional setup?
Thoughts?

The string bending thing is true for all floating bridge guitars. It's physics. For the rest, check in with the shop you bought from and PRS Customer service. PRS stands behind their quality. I've never picked up an SE that I didn't think was worth the money.

The string bending thing is true for all floating bridge guitars. It's physics. For the rest, check in with the shop you bought from and PRS Customer service. PRS stands behind their quality. I've never picked up an SE that I didn't think was worth the money.
Very wise, thank you

Setup and scratchy pots are something you should take up with the retailer. Could have sat in a warehouse for a while or been on the sales floor.

Elvis covered the floating bridge aspect. Physics and all that.

As far as setup, keep in mind it's winter. The guitar was set up in ideal conditions in Maryland, then sent to wherever the retailer is and then finally to your home wherever that is, so it has has already been exposed to a variety of climate changes which can cause the neck to move. A tweak of the truss rod should be all that's needed to bring it back in line.

For the tone pot, I'm wondering if you might've gotten a bad one. Price is irrelevant; no PRS guitar should have an issue like that, which is what the warranty is for. Contact your dealer and give them a chance to make it right.

Setup and scratchy pots are something you should take up with the retailer. Could have sat in a warehouse for a while or been on the sales floor.
Yeah, thanks for the insight. Apparently it’s been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months. Bummer

Elvis covered the floating bridge aspect. Physics and all that.

As far as setup, keep in mind it's winter. The guitar was set up in ideal conditions in Maryland, then sent to wherever the retailer is and then finally to your home wherever that is, so it has has already been exposed to a variety of climate changes which can cause the neck to move. A tweak of the truss rod should be all that's needed to bring it back in line.

For the tone pot, I'm wondering if you might've gotten a bad one. Price is irrelevant; no PRS guitar should have an issue like that, which is what the warranty is for. Contact your dealer and give them a chance to make it right.
Thank you for responding!
I plugged in today to jam, and now the volume knob is acting funny now, at lower volumes on the knob the signal breaks up. I suspect both of the issues are because it’s been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months, but I really don’t want to have to send it back because it’s such a hassle, and I got a superb top I’d rather not lose.
I might pull the pots out and clean them, but I’m not sure if this voids the warranty

Thank you for responding!
I plugged in today to jam, and now the volume knob is acting funny now, at lower volumes on the knob the signal breaks up. I suspect both of the issues are because it’s been sitting in a warehouse for 6 months, but I really don’t want to have to send it back because it’s such a hassle, and I got a superb top I’d rather not lose.
I might pull the pots out and clean them, but I’m not sure if this voids the warranty
That should not void warranty, no. Get some Deoxit.

Also, when I play a lower note and bend a higher string, the low note drops by around a half step, sometimes more or less.

The problem is the nature of the bridge. When you bend a string you increase the tension on the bridge in the same way that pushing down on the whammy bar does; all the strings go flat. I wound up blocking the bridge on my SE CU24 with a piece of cork. Regarding the other issues they should be fixed by the retailer. Did you buy the guitar online?

I think the pitch loss is more likely the nut binding. Did you change string gauges? I always put on a new nut and set up every instrument that is new to me, so that it's the way I like. I'm a very heavy tremolo user. I have an SE CU 24, and after the nut, it's a keeper guitar. My tremolo guitars are set up to go up a half step or more if possible. I think the PRS trem is the best I've used when set up properly. After you've sorted out the issues, I think you'll be very, very happy with the sounds the guitar makes.

Back