PRS Says, "We Want A (Your Name Goes Here) Signature Model" - Spec It!

I want to play, but Mike and Bennett have to finish this puzzle first:

Wheel-O-Forum-Game-4

And we could use 2 or 3 more players....

Yes...everyone...please join the game...I am stuck with Ruger and Mike, and as a result I keep punching myself in the face. I need additional stimulation. Ruger has worn me out in the "Artist, guitar and studio" thread...and Mike has a better knowledge of the "song title game" than I do....so PLEASE help me out and join in so that I can stop sticking a sharp stick in my eye. thanks.

You know what I like most about this thread, besides the terrific ideas everyone has?

I like that we're all grown-ups, able to imagine an unlikely scenario, and put a lot of thought into it, just like little kids!

Isn't that a great thing? Imagination is fun even when you're 800 years old! ;)

For me, one of the best things about music is that we can exercise our imaginations and take the music to limitless places, and instead of having to be satisfied merely imagining, we get to fully accomplish our imaginary soundscapes by means of our playing!

This, to me, is the beauty of the whole shebang.

I've never enjoyed thinking, "Well, that's it. This is the way it is, nothing more can be accomplished." With music our imaginations and creativity can soar, and we can also actually get "there." Wherever "there" happens to be.

I'm not talking about stardom, because to me that's a business success dream, not a creative dream. Plenty of great artists did not accomplish the business dream of stardom and great wealth. Yet their music lives on and is the greater treasure.

Last edited:
If i were to have one, I'd want mine to look like this:

SE model
Custom 24 shape
Mahogany body (rib cage contour)
Flame maple flat top (so that the "relatively" thin body wont look too thin nor will it be too heavy with full thickness, hey come on, that's why i love my '09 SE CU24!)
Rosewood fingerboard
24 frets
25 inch scale length
Transparent amber satin finish maple neck with gloss headstock a la SE Mike Akerfeldt (set-neck)
PRS's signature on truss rod cover
Adjustable stoptail
3-way toggle, master tone with push-pull coil split, master volume (traditional Custom 24 positioning)
Cream pickup mounting rings
Dimarzio pickups with fully cream pickups or black pickups, no covers (D-activators set or 36th Ann. PAF/Super Distortion combo)
Nut filed to fit string gauge 11-49
Natural masked binding
Moon Inlays (with Birds Inlays as an option)
PRS locking tuners
Chrome hardware

Option for a trem-equipped model available too :D

Comes in 4 finishes:
Black Cherry
Emerald
Vintage Sunburst
Black Slate

I'd probably start with a Custom 22; stoptail; rosewood neck; moons or maybe paua dots; controls in the same place as the P22 (minus the piezo) with a five way blade switch; phase III tuners, bone nut. I'd probably tweak the pickups and the switching.

I think it would be cool to pick a few solid finishes and paint the top only, leaving the back natural mahogany. Metallic black, gold, gray. For dyed tops, I like the really bold ones like turquoise, green and blue with a natural back.

For an SE, it would pretty much be a CU22 with the typical SE tuners, nut, etc. I'd still want the controls moved and with a three way blade switch instead of the five way. Some pearloid dot inlays. Mahogany neck and body; plain maple beveled top. I'm not a fan of veneers, so it would come in either gold top or black top with natural back/neck.

I deleted my "big idea" guitar plan, because I have no idea if I'd even like it. I'm back to thinking that a Signature model should be a personal voice, the way Grissom and Santana get their sounds from one model.

So...still deciding. ;)

mine would be basically 24 fret artist package McCarty 58.

base McCarty 58 model
24 frets
pattern neck
artist birds
ebony fretboard
ebony headstock veneer w/ inlaid logo
stoptail
Tremonti pups
nickel hardware only

options: flame or quilt top

limited colors: natural, violin amber, charcoal, yellow tiger, faded blue jean

Last edited:
The CR Guitar would of course be........Paisley covered.
SC 245 in Paisley
Standard 2 vol/2 Tone config
Obeche back with maple cap
Wide/Fat IRW Neck with birds (paisley's if its cost effective)
DGT Frets
57/08 in neck 59/09 in bridge, both brushed covers
Push-Push tone pots for tapping each pup. 2.2 resistors for each pup in tapped mode
New "Pauls" brass stoptail with anodized studs
mixed hardware
TRC say's "The Paisley"
Back of the headstock would have written "CHOMP CHOMP" in gold Sharpie
Paisley case & strap
The only option would be Black Paisley with matching case & strap.

That would certainly be a unique signature Chris, I'm glad you were able to get the prototype ;)

If I were to make a signature... well I'd be looking to resurrect the SC250 I think, so something like this.

Top: Carved Figured Maple
Back: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Rosewood
Neck Carve: Pattern / Wide-Fat
Inlay: Abalone Birds (old-school)
Scale: 25"
Number of Frets: 22
Fret Wire: Standard PRS fret wire

Hardware Type: Nickel
Bridge: Adjustable Wraparound Stoptail
Tuners: Phase III locking tuners
Bridge Pickup: 250 Treble (w/ squabins)
Neck Pickup: 250 Bass (could also go for a #7 Bass, not 100% either way - w/ squabins!)
Switching: Standard SC layout (Two Volume and Two Tone Controls with 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector On The Upper Bout)

Finish: V12

Options:
Top: 10-top Flame or Quilt
Inlays: Mother of Pearl Birds (old-school)
Finish: Poly?
Neck: Wide-Thin / Pattern-thin

Colors:
Opaque Black
Amber Black
Charcoal Burst
Tri-Color Burst
Emerald Green
Armando's Amethyst
Angry Larry
Scarlet Smoke Burst
Teal Black
Solana Burst
McCarty Burst

There might be some other colors that PRS does standard they would wont to include but those would be my top preferences. Also if I was allowed to interject opinion into the paint jobs of the back and sides, my preference would be for Natural tones that show the grain -or- Black as options.

Edit: added neck option

Last edited:
I think I'd like to hear a combination of the oomph and sustain of a Singlecut with 2 piece bridge, combined with a set of 408s.

I'd guess that would sound great. And it could be done in a production model.

So...SC245, with 408s and Sig Ltd switching. 'Hog back and neck, ebony or RW board, the usual trim options. Color, whatever. I'd like a bound board for the one I play, just because I like the feel.

;)

Last edited:
I love threads like this.

Base model: McCarty Trem.*

Pickups/Electronics: Open zebra coil DGT bridge pickup (squabbin). Neck pickup would either be a zebra colored NF or 408 neck. Make them 3 wire and give the guitar a 5 way blade switch instead of the 3 way, like a current CU22/24 or Hiland. If the blade is set to bridge humbucker only, you can also split the bridge pickup with a push/push tone pot, but not in the other positions. Wire in the 2.2k resistor on the coil split ala DGT2012.

Colors: Opaque black, goldtop/darkback, and PLAIN maple McCartyburst. No flame/quilt maple allowed.

Inlays: Moon inlays only (eh, maybe I'd consider dots).

Street price: $1999.

This is very easy for me, as I have been wanting this for years:

"Catfish Korina DGT 245 standard"

DC body with Dickie Betts thickness
One piece Korina Body
One piece Korina Neck at 24.5 scale
Natural finish ONLY
SELECT (for tone) BRW fingerboard
OldSkool diagonal MOP/Abalone moon inlays
DGT electronics
Grissom Bridge pickup
59/09 Neck pickup
AGED Gold(rarity with me) Trem bridge and pickup covers
Hybrid Phase III tuners
Brass finished Dunlop Dual-Design Straplocks
Amber Lampshade knobs
Black Pickup rings
and the "piece de'la resistance": The Catfish signature AMBER toggle switch tip... :cool:

This is very easy for me, as I have been wanting this for years:

"Catfish Korina DGT 245 standard"

DC body with Dickie Betts thickness
One piece Korina Body
One piece Korina Neck at 24.5 scale
Natural finish ONLY
SELECT (for tone) BRW fingerboard
OldSkool diagonal MOP/Abalone moon inlays
DGT electronics
Grissom Bridge pickup
59/09 Neck pickup
AGED Gold(rarity with me) Trem bridge and pickup covers
Hybrid Phase III tuners
Brass finished Dunlop Dual-Design Straplocks
Amber Lampshade knobs
Black Pickup rings
and the "piece de'la resistance": The Catfish signature AMBER toggle switch tip... :cool:

You should at least get a Catfish headstock inlay.

I like this spec a lot. If you ever do a PS like this you could just bling out the top and the inlays to justify the cost.

If you ever do a PS like this you could just bling out the top and the inlays to justify the cost.

I think it would be really cool to see some PS-crazy-opulent-blinged out moons. Like some gold and silver or something like that, has anybody gone moons in PS yet?

http://www.facebook.com/BostonGuitar

You should at least get a Catfish headstock inlay.

I like this spec a lot. If you ever do a PS like this you could just bling out the top and the inlays to justify the cost.

No top... one piece of Korina...

I think it would be really cool to see some PS-crazy-opulent-blinged out moons. Like some gold and silver or something like that, has anybody gone moons in PS yet?

Good question...

The MGD Model....

(Yes, those really are my initials)

Built off a DGT / McCarty platform (shocking)

THICK one piece mahogany body with maple top

Natural binding, not too dark, but finished body on the back

W/F MAPLE neck with 22 6100 stainless steel frets

Satin thin nitro finish the headstock and back of the neck with an amber tint

Rosewood fretboard with Fender-ish aged clay dots

Tremolo with all five springs installed

Phase IIIs with DGT faux bone buttons

Available in Metallic Sparkle Green Top and Metallic Sparkle Gold Top

Satined nickel hardware

DGT V/V/T with 3-way tone selector DGT Style

Brushed and non engraved 57/08s

Strung with 11 - 50s

Green Tolex case with gold interior

There!

Last edited:
The KDB model

Well we'd start here, cos this is my favorite guitar and the one that's most "me."

Artinger%20Lily.jpg

The closest thing PRS does would be a Hollowbody I. That works. The usual wood, i.e., mahogany and maple, although on my guitar I'll be picky. :) Ebony board and 25.5-inch scale.

Electronics: Two volumes and master tone. I'm not optimistic they could source P-90s that I'd like well enough to want them in my guitar. (the ones in the guitar shown above are actual vintage Gibson dog-ears.) I'd be willing to work with them on two versions, one with 57/08s, the other with maybe 408s; in that case I can envision a lot of back-and-forth a la Grissom to get them sounding like I want.

As for the bridge, I'd be OK with offering the option of either the PRS adjustable stoptail or a Bigsby. I'd be pretty insistent onhaving the Bigsby be part of the package. (they could call it the "KDB"!)

Neck: I'd want to work with them on that. Start with a Pattern or DGT and go from there, although I prefer a slightly wider nut width, more like 27/16. Basically a good '59 Gibson shape. Bird inlays have always worked for me, but for this one I'm liking the moons. Set up with .011s but smaller frets than the DGTs. (it's a jazz thing)

Colors: Eriza verde (duh!!!), Blue crab blue, McBurst, Tobacco sunburst, Solana burst, maybe some sort of purple. Nickel hardware. Thin nitro finish.

Last edited:
McCarty body - available in standard or maple top
Pattern neck
Old bird abalone inlays
DGT switching with 2 volume knobs
adjustable stoptail
nickel hardware
5708 neck pickup(uncovered)
5909 bridge pickup(uncovered) or MAYBE the new proto \m/ pickup
Charcoal(non burst) on the maple top ---other color would be white wash on maple, the standard version would be pearl white body/natural color satin neck/p. white headstock front
Natural colored back
satin finish on the back of the neck only
rosewood headstock overlay

Scale length probably would be 25", although I do like 24.5".....I think we'll have to do some protos to figure that out since I like both :top:

The only other thing, I'd consider incorporating is the piezo...if I could do it with the 2 volume knobs for the mag pickups - the tone knob is least important to me.

Last edited:
The 'Derek' model is easy. Based on a Sig Ltd (408 if I must have the blade switch since I can't do limited runs), add in the P22 piezo features, and two volume knobs wired backwards like a DGT. (I've gotten used to that over the 'normal' volumes on a singlecut)

Basically, it's the Private Stock I plan to order after I devise a fool-proof plan to rob the bank.

Back