PRS NF53 and Miles Kennedy thoughts

Yeah don't get me wrong, as a tool I'm sure its spectacular. Just comes down to the price point that has me a bit hesitant as I don't get any sort of specialty guitar vibes from it.

I'm down with your feelings OP. When I saw Trogly's video on the MK last month, I just shook my head at the 3-piece body on a guitar that expensive. A well-matched two piece would get a pass, but not a 3-piece. Even if it's only an esthetic thing, it's important to me. We'd laugh at 3-piece body on an American built guitar 20 years ago (remember PRS 3-piece Maple tops on the EGs? That went over like a lead balloon). I can't get my head around a guitar at that price point being built that way. I love PRS guitars and I know how well they're made but this one's clearly not for me.

I'm down with your feelings OP. When I saw Trogly's video on the MK last month, I just shook my head at the 3-piece body on a guitar that expensive. A well-matched two piece would get a pass, but not a 3-piece. Even if it's only an esthetic thing, it's important to me. We'd laugh at 3-piece body on an American built guitar 20 years ago (remember PRS 3-piece Maple tops on the EGs? That went over like a lead balloon). I can't get my head around a guitar at that price point being built that way. I love PRS guitars and I know how well they're made but this one's clearly not for me.
100% agree. I'd be interested in seeing some data regarding this too though as I've seen varying claims, some saying they have a 1 piece body and others saying as many as 3 pieces ie Philip McKnight

Phillip McKnight, who I watch a lot, is all about budget gear. Sure he has a few high end things but he is all about price.

If you buy one of these and get a decent deal they are priced fairly for the market. I like them but do not love them as I am a CU24 guy. The black and white Dog Hair ones are cool.

What is good for the brand is good for me.

I DO NOT like the pick guards. Very sharp on the edges.

I don't get F custom shop guitars priced so high. Bolt ons!

Somebody else will flame me because they love them.

Prices for All the models are way high. I have a great collection but if I had to buy them at todays prices, even adjusted, I would not get them. I would have a wall of modded SE's!!

Phillip McKnight, who I watch a lot, is all about budget gear. Sure he has a few high end things but he is all about price.

If you buy one of these and get a decent deal they are priced fairly for the market. I like them but do not love them as I am a CU24 guy. The black and white Dog Hair ones are cool.

What is good for the brand is good for me.

I DO NOT like the pick guards. Very sharp on the edges.

I don't get F custom shop guitars priced so high. Bolt ons!

Somebody else will flame me because they love them.

Prices for All the models are way high. I have a great collection but if I had to buy them at todays prices, even adjusted, I would not get them. I would have a wall of modded SE's!!
Budget gear or not, doesnt change if the body is 3 piece or 1 piece. I'd be annoyed if I got a 3 piece one knowing theres 1 or 2 pc ones out there!

From what I have seen the tobacco burst is a one piece body in both the MK and the 53 looks like the Dog Hair ones seem to be multi piece. As far as price goes the right dealer will get you a better $$ number , everyone feels good about getting a discount. I am pretty happy with the price I paid for the NF53 , I do wish they left the pickguard off to be honest after I saw the body when I changed the pickguard. Since cores seem to run 4-5K + these days the bolt-ons in the mid 2ks seems about right, I do wish things were cheaper , hell I got a Les Paul Custom in the early 80s for $500 if only I kept it.

If I wanted Teles or Strats, I'd play-test a PRS vs a Suhr or Tom Anderson, and then decide what I liked.

Tom Anderson's Strats and Teles go for around 4 grand. They're comparable in quality. I've owned a few and thought they were excellent instruments.

Suhr's Strats and Teles go for around $3500. They're also comparable.

Playing them all would tell me which one I liked, but the PRS is less expensive than either of these alternatives.

Even Fender's Custom Shop guitars are into the upper $4K range, and I'm not crazy about those at all.
I don’t understand why Don Grosh never pops up when S and T style guitars are mentioned. I have one and it’s immaculate:cool:

I've heard great things about them. I didn't mention them because I haven't ever played one.
You should ;) Just kidding, it just seems odd to me that everybody knows Suhr or Tom Anderson and Grosh is somewhat obscure. The guy doesn't need my support as far as I know anyhow ;)

Fender Custom Shop Teles sell for about $1000 more than a PRS NF53 or Miles Kennedy.

PRS price doesn't seem that out of line if you compare it to similar guitars.

Still a lot of money of course.

Which would you rather own? Which plays more easily and which sounds better to you?

I like the sounds I've heard in PRS's demos of the NF53 and Miles Kennedy.

I'm a Tele player and I heard tones I thought I could be very comfortable with.

Teles are fairly primitive guitars. They're twangy, unforgiving and steely sounding.

A Tele bridge pickup gets a signature sound. Does the NF53 get a signature sound? Time will tell.

I've never liked the stock Tele neck pickup. The PRS has got to be better!

Roy Buchanan could play jazz on a Tele neck pickup and make it sound good, but I can't. I replaced it with a Strat pickup in one of my Teles and my other Tele is an Esquire which has no neck pickup.

I guess it comes down to which guitar (PRS or Fender) you identify with and feels like home.

Last edited:
I think the PRS price/quality is pretty competitive compared to some other things.

I recently bought a Spector bass, it's from their eastern eu shop, neck edge and fretworks is ok, no rolled edges, frets have hard edges, the body is literally 5 pieces of wood, it's got a mediocre flat poly finish, Neck joint and body shape isn't as nice as their US made model, for no particular reason than segmentation I think. Was over 3k with tax and shipping.

Strandberg guitars are similarly priced and made in Indonesia and often have serious quality issues and awful finish jobs.

My Silver Sky blows these away and was less and US made.

Fender Custom Shop Teles sell for about $1000 more than a PRS NF53 or Miles Kennedy.

Which would you rather own? Which plays more easily and which sounds better to you?

I like the sounds I've heard in PRS's demos of the NF53 and Miles Kennedy.

I'm a Tele player and I heard tones I thought I could be very comfortable with.

Teles are fairly primitive guitars. They're twangy, unforgiving and steely sounding.

A Tele bridge pickup gets a signature sound. Does the NF53 get a signature sound? Time will tell.

I've never liked the stock Tele neck pickup. The PRS has got to be better!

Roy Buchanan could play jazz on a Tele neck pickup and make it sound good, but I can't. I replaced it with a Strat pickup in one of my Teles and my other Tele is an Esquire which has no neck pickup.

I guess it comes down to which guitar (PRS or Fender) you identify with and feels like home.
If this is the criteria for which a tele is judged, any mexican 500 dollar tele would do. When you get into $2500+ range, intangibles need to be there. A fender custom shop guitar is in no way comparable to a NF53 in this regard. Just my opinion!

This is a normal production guitar that's in the bolt on series. Apples to apples for companies product lines are more along the lines of something like the American Professional. I'm not saying they're the same, but there's some darn good Fenders out there before you reach custom shop. Like there's plenty of good PRS before the core, wood library, or private stock tiers.

This is a normal production guitar that's in the bolt on series. Apples to apples for companies product lines are more along the lines of something like the American Professional. I'm not saying they're the same, but there's some darn good Fenders out there before you reach custom shop. Like there's plenty of good PRS before the core, wood library, or private stock tiers.
Do you see the PRS NF53 and Miles Kennedy as being Tele inspired guitars?

If so then they're competing with the best Teles.

To my mind, the PRS would have to play better and sound better than the best Teles, in order for a long time, dedicated Tele player to make the switch to PRS.

Who is the NF53 is being marketed to? Younger Tele players but not necessarily country players?

I'm asking.

Back