PRS NF53 and Miles Kennedy thoughts

opnoob

Its been about a month or two since the release and I've been thinking about it on and off and I can't help but think they missed the mark with this one in terms of the price. I think it would have been much better to either go S2-level in terms of price or just go all out and go for Suhr level of quality and price. But seeing a 3 piece body, and scarf joint neck, no figured tops, non-locking tuners on the NF53, nickel frets at over $3000 to me just sounds unreasonable. I think it would be wildly successful at the 1800-2000 dollar mark. I know as PRS fans we are not strangers to paying more for things just because we like it but I think theres just not enough substance here to justify the price. Thoughts?

When I watched the video of Tim Pierce comparing a 594 with a 59 LP I was impressed.

The SS never interested me as I thought it was just another strat copy and it didn't have it's own identity. Then I watched JM video where he goes through the features that make the SS a great guitar, that changed my mind. Not sure i really want one but I get it.

I am interested in these new models. Not sure I'm interested enough to buy one ..........yet..........

I have enough faith in PRS to know these won't be just a "tele copy" that's over priced.

Well, I kind of agree with both previous statements. It can be difficult at times to access what a fair price is for any given instrument. I do think the NF53, SS or 594’s are great guitars just not for me that said I still feel PRS makes the best products out there and it shows. If it brings more players to the brand great. I’m a CU24 guy always have and will be just works for me. I think aside from the off shore products PRS is hitting it out of the park. I’m a little concerned that the SE line quality will put a bend in their reputation (not the kind in those television commercials btw). I sure hope they stay on top of providing the best instruments for any given price range. Time will tell.

...PRS doesn’t do stainless steel on anything.
They did do SS frets on the Joe Walsh limited McCarty 594 Singlecut. In fact, I think it was one of the only things that differentiated it from any regular 594 SC. (I know, it's very limited quantities, but still... If rock legend and Eagle Joe Walsh asks for something, you do it.)

I have no beef with scarf joints headstocks: technically they are arguably stronger than one piece necks and more labour required. That makes them not a downgrade to me. What makes me wonder, is that I do not see why a set neck S2 McCarty 595 (scarf joint neck, USA bridge) with more complex construction, from the same factory should cost a hair under 2/3rds of an NF53.

I get the NF53 is terrific, like all PRSi, and I understand the business aspects all to well, but for ME the pricing is disappointing.

If I wanted Teles or Strats, I'd play-test a PRS vs a Suhr or Tom Anderson, and then decide what I liked.

Tom Anderson's Strats and Teles go for around 4 grand. They're comparable in quality. I've owned a few and thought they were excellent instruments.

Suhr's Strats and Teles go for around $3500. They're also comparable.

Playing them all would tell me which one I liked, but the PRS is less expensive than either of these alternatives.

Even Fender's Custom Shop guitars are into the upper $4K range, and I'm not crazy about those at all.

I guess I don't get too excited about MAPs, one way or another. I don't think I've paid MAP on a large purchase of any kind in recent memory. If somebody wants to do that, that's great--I'm going to find a sale price or discount.

I also don't get too excited about prices having gone up. The only say I have in any of that is what I choose to spend my money on. I haven't bought a new PRS since 2020. Since that time I've bought five used PRS guitars and a couple of used PRS amps. If PRS isn't making the guitars/amps I want at the prices I'm willing to pay, they don't get my money.

If I wanted Teles or Strats, I'd play a PRS vs a Suhr or Tom Anderson, and then decide what I liked.

Tom Anderson's Strats and Teles go for around 4 grand. They're comparable in quality.

Playing them all would tell me which one I liked, but the PRS is less expensive than either of these alternatives.
Guess that depends where you live. In Holland a Suhr T costs less than an NF53. Anderson is unobtainium over here.

If I wanted Teles or Strats, I'd play-test a PRS vs a Suhr or Tom Anderson, and then decide what I liked.

Tom Anderson's Strats and Teles go for around 4 grand. They're comparable in quality. I've owned a few and thought they were excellent instruments.

Even Fender's Custom Shop guitars are into the upper $4K range, and I'm not crazy about those at all.
I guess I just dont feel that intangible desirability like I do with most other PRS guitars. Because of that I'm forced to value the guitar based on its tangibles, and I think in that respect it does fall short relative to its price tag. I'm a PRS fanboy but I'd take a Suhr or Tom Anderson over an NF53 all day..

Its been about a month or two since the release and I've been thinking about it on and off and I can't help but think they missed the mark with this one in terms of the price. I think it would have been much better to either go S2-level in terms of price or just go all out and go for Suhr level of quality and price. But seeing a 3 piece body, and scarf joint neck, no figured tops, non-locking tuners on the NF53, nickel frets at over $3000 to me just sounds unreasonable. I think it would be wildly successful at the 1800-2000 dollar mark. I know as PRS fans we are not strangers to paying more for things just because we like it but I think theres just not enough substance here to justify the price. Thoughts?
My MK has a one piece body, and weighs a ton. I get it on the price, but there are multiple T style guitars out there that are in that range, and higher. For example,

I haven't played one yet, and there's no doubt in mind it's a great guitar.. but the marketing team did miss the mark on pricing. True, I've been offered better pricing by dealers, but to me that shouldn't fall soley on the dealers. I'd normally be a buyer of this guitar, because to me it's not a tele, but more of its own thing. My solution, wait for the used market to stabilize and pick one up later. It's not like I don't have enough guitars. This obviously isn't good for PRS or the model overall since they are in the market to sell new guitars.

I guess I just dont feel that intangible desirability like I do with most other PRS guitars. Because of that I'm forced to value the guitar based on its tangibles, and I think in that respect it does fall short relative to its price tag. I'm a PRS fanboy but I'd take a Suhr or Tom Anderson over an NF53 all day..
I can't say. As I said, I'd need a comparison.

But I play neither Strats nor Teles. I'm a set-neck, humbucker person. Well, sometimes P90s.

My MK has a one piece body, and weighs a ton. I get it on the price, but there are multiple T style guitars out there that are in that range, and higher. For example,

I personally don't put the bolt series in comparison of a custom shop or an ex private stock builder like Knaggs. I understand quality wise why this correlation is made, but in my mind the business tiers don't line up. This doesn't take away from how awesome I'm sure the guitar is, but at the end of the day it's a regular production model made by everyday employees.

That said, the argument does carry more weight when discussing a signature model like the MK. But at the end of the day, signature or not, it's still more or less a regular production model by the PRS hierarchy.

Being a PRS, quality is a given but is the price of entry worth it? That's for each of us to decide and friendly discuss along the way.. There is no wrong answer.

I personally don't put the bolt series in comparison of a custom shop or an ex private stock builder like Knaggs. I understand quality wise why this correlation is made, but in my mind the business tiers don't line up. This doesn't take away from how awesome I'm sure the guitar is, but at the end of the day it's a regular production model made by everyday employees.
That's a fair point.

Thanks. Man, and to be truthful I do WANT a MK. I can't wait to play one. Who knows, my price point logic may even be thrown out the window..
Yeah, I enjoy mine. If I was smart, I'd have waited for the used market. Never claimed to be smart. I may be an idiot, but I'm not stupid!

Back