PRS NF53 and Miles Kennedy thoughts

I really don’t understand how an S2 version would be different than the current version. It already has an S2 bridge, it comes with a gig bag, it doesn’t have a violin carve… in my mind, it already IS an S2. What is Core about it? The pickups?

There's truth to this.. I was in the camp of wondering what the S2 would be and maybe wait for it.. Then, slap! It already shares quite a bit of DNA with an S2. What would they change? The pickups? Maybe drop the swamp ash? Well that would suck, and I probably wouldn't want it anymore. lol

Back to waiting for used camp for me.

Maybe they'll just skip the S2 line and go straight to the SE version in the future. No harm in that.

Maybe they'll just skip the S2 line and go straight to the SE version in the future. No harm in that.
Except the SE line are all Student Edition models of USA models and have with import pickups that are not the equal of the USA made PRS pickups.

Import pickups, electronics and parts keep the price down. They're part of the deal with SE's.

They'd need PRS USA pickups to sound great and that would undermine the sales of made in the USA PRS models. So I doubt that's gonna happen.

Last edited:
I’m not a tele player, period. My brother gave me his, and I put it on semi- permanent loan with my luthier. I’m guessing that you’ve had the time to play thoroughly the PRS versions in comparison to your Aerodyne. If not, you know the response, and it ain’t pretty.
I'm talking about the materials and specs. I've already addressed the fact that you don't need to pay even American Fender tele money to get 99% of what you want from a tele in terms of playability and sound. PRS tele does not need you to be its white knight, they aint paying you. Just try to be objective.

They have to charge that much in order to leave room for competitive pricing for a future S2 version and of course a future SE version.
But of course, this model will never make it to the more affordable lines unless there are a bunch of people buying the current $3k core versions.
I don't think it has enough of a gap to entertain an S2 level between this and a projected SE model. This is essentially your S2 the way I see it. They could go up more easily than they could go down imo. Locking tuners, one piece bodies, slight carved tops, figured maple caps, 10-tops, wood libraries, etc. Which is why this at say $1800 and then a higher end model at $3000 would make more sense to me.

I don't think it has enough of a gap to entertain an S2 level between this and a projected SE model. This is essentially your S2 the way I see it. They could go up more easily than they could go down imo. Locking tuners, one piece bodies, slight carved tops, figured maple caps, 10-tops, wood libraries, etc. Which is why this at say $1800 and then a higher end model at $3000 would make more sense to me.
Maybe they'll just skip the S2 line and go straight to the SE version in the future.

I'm talking about the materials and specs. I've already addressed the fact that you don't need to pay even American Fender tele money to get 99% of what you want from a tele in terms of playability and sound. PRS tele does not need you to be its white knight, they aint paying you. Just try to be objective.
It’s not a question of being a white knight. I just want to know that you’ve played what you’re pontificating about. That’s called common sense.

It’s not a question of being a white knight. I just want to know that you’ve played what you’re pontificating about. That’s called common sense.
Follow logic please. I just have to repeat myself otherwise.

There's truth to this.. I was in the camp of wondering what the S2 would be and maybe wait for it.. Then, slap! It already shares quite a bit of DNA with an S2. What would they change? The pickups? Maybe drop the swamp ash? Well that would suck, and I probably wouldn't want it anymore. lol

Back to waiting for used camp for me.
I agree. However a non ash SE would be fine for me. Probably I will buy one if it comes out. If not: I have a McSoapy for
my gnarly, barking, SC-esque sounds.

I have the ability to follow logic based in fact. Conjecture doesn’t interest me.
I offer criticism based on materials and specs based on tangibles. You refute by talking about subjective principles based on what I assume to be playability, comfort and sound. To which I have already addressed that money spent is not well correlated to these subjective principles ie. most mexican Tele's can do everything an expensive one can. On top of that, my anecdotal experience with a particular instrument could have no bearing on the actual general reception of it. You still sure you're following logically? How's it going for you?

Tried to order one of these at Sweetwater. I rarely ask for a discount. Thanks, it was equivalent to sales tax. And maybe next year, maybe not. Retail PRS market must be troubled. Why create all this publicity for nothing? Same with SE DGT's. No thanks for now...

I offer criticism based on materials and specs based on tangibles. You refute by talking about subjective principles based on what I assume to be playability, comfort and sound. To which I have already addressed that money spent is not well correlated to these subjective principles ie. most mexican Tele's can do everything an expensive one can. On top of that, my anecdotal experience with a particular instrument could have no bearing on the actual general reception of it. You still sure you're following logically? How's it going for you?
I had a Mexican Tele, light as a feather and sounded muddy. I disagree with you. I've had 6 American Tele's, all were just fine, great tool.

All the sound clips of both guitars that I’ve heard sound amazing. I like that it’s kind of it’s own thing and not like a traditional tele.
I think the price is on par with the market, that is the price range of the other models in the bolt on category.
no doubt these will be on the used market in a few years and I bet they will be a steal.

Tried to order one of these at Sweetwater. I rarely ask for a discount. Thanks, it was equivalent to sales tax. And maybe next year, maybe not. Retail PRS market must be troubled. Why create all this publicity for nothing? Same with SE DGT's. No thanks for now...
I think the first batch and the current production is likely spoken for already , I have an NF53 already and Bodia has an MK.
With the shear amount of models PRS makes I'm betting if something sells more than predicted its tough for them to recover, I am also betting they are still shorter staffed than before Covid most companies I work with still are. Also betting on a model like the NF 53 they hedged there bets so as not to end up with models like the (DC3 , NF3 , 305 ) that did not sell well at the time ( but are loved now ) and ended up being heavy discounted

I guess I don't get too excited about MAPs, one way or another. I don't think I've paid MAP on a large purchase of any kind in recent memory. If somebody wants to do that, that's great--I'm going to find a sale price or discount.

I also don't get too excited about prices having gone up. The only say I have in any of that is what I choose to spend my money on. I haven't bought a new PRS since 2020. Since that time I've bought five used PRS guitars and a couple of used PRS amps. If PRS isn't making the guitars/amps I want at the prices I'm willing to pay, they don't get my money.
I get what you are saying. I haven’t bought a core model since 2009. The quality of the higher end models is not in question. My 2007 McCarty is truly a great guitar and I still love playing it after 16 years of ownership. Others I just never bonded with. But I never underestimate their ability to make a great guitar. The S2 Vela is proof they can make one at an affordable price.

Import pickups, electronics and parts keep the price down. They're part of the deal with SE's.
They are also part of the deal with some of the S2 models. Paying twice as much as a 594 SE for an S2 version but ending up with the same pickups would be disappointing.

I think they should have went straight after the look of a Tele like they did with the Silver Sky. I think they are ugly. The NF though have cool paint jobs.

Back