PRS David Grissom 30 head/ reverb ?

Jollyb

Just bought this amp used but like new from a well known dealer.
I'm just going through the different settings, boost ect. I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far.

Only issue I'm having is the reverb. It's almost non existant. I thought possibly it was foot switch driven, or maybe there was an on/ off switch on the back.

Nothing. Full up you can hear it barely.
Anyone else have issue with the reverb?
I'm trying to avoid sending the amp all the way back to WI from Florida.

Thanks......

Contact PRS. The reverb tank can go bad as well as the transformer. Might need a trip to the amp Doctor. But don’t sweat it because that’s a fantastic amp and I’d be compelled to go buy a Strymon Flint and not give it a second thought.

Make sure you have the high cut knob on the back of the amp set properly, its center frequency has the ability to attenuate the reverb to oblivion (or to more realistically to the point to where you think it’s not working).

The DG30 isn’t the easiest amp to dial in until you really know your way around it. I almost hated the amp until I really dug into it.

If it turns out something is broken... PRS will help you out. If it’s not and you’re still having trouble holler at @LSchefman (he’s an expert on the amp) or myself, and we’ll do all we can to help guide you though it. We’re both huge fans of the amp.

Contact PRS. The reverb tank can go bad as well as the transformer. Might need a trip to the amp Doctor. But don’t sweat it because that’s a fantastic amp and I’d be compelled to go buy a Strymon Flint and not give it a second thought.
Lol........I actually have a Flint Strymon for my Kendrick bassman. I've been using it with the DG 30 and your right......I can live with it. But I like things to work right.Especially at this price!

Make sure you have the high cut knob on the back of the amp set properly, its center frequency has the ability to attenuate the reverb to oblivion (or to more realistically to the point to where you think it’s not working).

The DG30 isn’t the easiest amp to dial in until you really know your way around it. I almost hated the amp until I really dug into it.

If it turns out something is broken... PRS will help you out. If it’s not and you’re still having trouble holler at @LSchefman (he’s an expert on the amp) or myself, and we’ll do all we can to help guide you though it. We’re both huge fans of the amp.

That is some great advice! I bet thats it. I hope. Why would Paul design an amp flawed like that?

PRS reverb is very subtle and sits behind the note. You won't get that really washed out, surf sound from it.

No, I hear ya. Not looking for Fender Twin here. But it's got as much reverb as yelling onto a wet pillow.

That is some great advice! I bet thats it. I hope. Why would Paul design an amp flawed like that?

Doug Sewell and David designed it. I don’t think of it as a flaw, but more of a quirk to appease David’s taste.

It seems (to me) as though the high cut is after the reverb, which sounds counterintuitive but in actuality is really helpful. Reverb is one of those effects that’s way too easy to use too much of, and can easily dominate and mess with other instruments like vocals and cymbals.

Assuming yours isn’t broken... it’s actually brilliantly respectful in mixes with other instruments. My band did a recording last year, and the amp sat so much nicer than my singer’s Fender amp that we both used it.

I have one, and it’s become my favorite amp. The reverb is indeed subtle, but as Serg says, it’s wonderful in a mix. No wonder Grissom and Doug Sewell went with it that way.

If it’s nonexistent, however, you might want to check the tube that drives it, the cables to the tank, etc.

Back