PRS Custom 24 ID

strngbndr3

Hello all,
I have a PRS Custom 24 that I purchased new at Guitar Center in about 2008 or so. It really wasn't my sound but I was looking to try something new and it was beyond beautiful. It had been there for a really long time so I decided to see if there was some room on the price. It was a long time ago so I can't remember the exact price on the tag but it was around $2900, maybe 3k. I think I ended up getting it for about $2,200. I've had it in the case for a long time and recently decided to get it back out, restring it and play with it some. I'm really enjoying it. Anyway, to make a long story long, I got to thinking about how long this guitar hung in the store and began wondering about the actual production year. I went to the PRS web site t try and identify it. The number serial number didn't match anything it had on it's charts. I went to a site called guitarinsite.com to see what I could find. It is a set neck so the number is hand painted on the back of the headstock (11181629). However, when I enter the number, it says that it is a 2003 year model and that the 111 does not match. So, based on this site, the 81629 means it's a 2003 but what is the purpose of the 111 in front? Are they irrelevant or do they mean something?

Ah! I get it. Numbers make sense now. The first 2 numbers apply to all. The rest apply to the style (set neck). I thought I bought it a couple years after my Dad passed which would have been around 2008. Guess it was longer than I thought. Many thanks!!!

Ah! I get it. Numbers make sense now. The first 2 numbers apply to all. The rest apply to the style (set neck). I thought I bought it a couple years after my Dad passed which would have been around 2008. Guess it was longer than I thought. Many thanks!!!
The serial number is a limited indicator of the actual specs.
There's a sticker on the outside of the case that shows a "MODCAT".
If you enter that modcat here you'll get the full specs...

Hello all,
I have a PRS Custom 24 that I purchased new at Guitar Center in about 2008 or so. It really wasn't my sound but I was looking to try something new and it was beyond beautiful. It had been there for a really long time so I decided to see if there was some room on the price. It was a long time ago so I can't remember the exact price on the tag but it was around $2900, maybe 3k. I think I ended up getting it for about $2,200. I've had it in the case for a long time and recently decided to get it back out, restring it and play with it some. I'm really enjoying it. Anyway, to make a long story long, I got to thinking about how long this guitar hung in the store and began wondering about the actual production year. I went to the PRS web site t try and identify it. The number serial number didn't match anything it had on it's charts. I went to a site called guitarinsite.com to see what I could find. It is a set neck so the number is hand painted on the back of the headstock (11181629). However, when I enter the number, it says that it is a 2003 year model and that the 111 does not match. So, based on this site, the 81629 means it's a 2003 but what is the purpose of the 111 in front? Are they irrelevant or do they mean something?
Welcome to the forum.

Would love to see some photos of your guitar, when you can
Welcome to the forum.

Would love to see some photos of your guitar, when you can

Fantastic!! Thanks!!!

Sweet looking guitar, congrats.

If you’re using Postimage, use the share to forum code (not thumbnail) and you’ll get a better quality image.

The serial number is a limited indicator of the actual specs.
There's a sticker on the outside of the case that shows a "MODCAT".
If you enter that modcat here you'll get the full specs...

Top wood: Maple
Frets: 24
Top Spec: Figured
Top Grade: Non-Ten Top
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Curve: Pattern Thin (WideThin)
Fingerboard Wood: East Indian Rosewood
Inlay: 2011 Birds
Bridge: Tremolo or 2 piece bridge
Color: Purple Hazel
Hardware: Nickel
Treble Pickup: 59/09