PRS 594 2016 Finish Fogging....Why

I have had this concern on 2 PRSi core models, but never on an SE or guitars from other manufacturers. My sample size is too small to draw any conclusions. In both cases, the milky areas are small on both exist on the edge of the lower bout...one singlecut, one double cut. Many conjecture about the cause. I don't think anyone really knows. There may be many interactions that are too numerous to calculate acurately. Nevertheless, PRS is very fair in their policy. I was forwarded this PTC policy in response to my inquiry regarding these concerns:

Milky Finish Issues:

1st owner, guitar 10 yrs old or less Warranty

1st owner, guitar 10+ yrs old 1/2 price ($750)

2nd owner, guitar 10 yrs old or less 1/2 price ($750)

2nd owner, guitar 10+ yrs old Full price ($1500)

In my case, I have taken no action. I am living with imperfections in myself and my guitars!

I have had this concern on 2 PRSi core models, but never on an SE or guitars from other manufacturers. My sample size is too small to draw any conclusions. In both cases, the milky areas are small on both exist on the edge of the lower bout...one singlecut, one double cut. Many conjecture about the cause. I don't think anyone really knows. There may be many interactions that are too numerous to calculate acurately. Nevertheless, PRS is very fair in their policy. I was forwarded this PTC policy in response to my inquiry regarding these concerns:

Milky Finish Issues:

1st owner, guitar 10 yrs old or less Warranty

1st owner, guitar 10+ yrs old 1/2 price ($750)

2nd owner, guitar 10 yrs old or less 1/2 price ($750)

2nd owner, guitar 10+ yrs old Full price ($1500)

In my case, I have taken no action. I am living with imperfections in myself and my guitars!
I'm going to check this out...!

Yes, it will be going back this week. I need to watch my money much closer now then I did when I was not retired.
This is for the best, I think, given the circumstances. I’m also retired these days, and understand that it’s a bit more important you be satisfied with purchases when the opportunities to make other such purchases may be far fewer than they once were. If you’re unsatisfied and can return it, then it doesn’t matter whether or not I think it reasonable! By all means, do it.

On the finish issues, as others have noted, they do happen and you dont hear any of the makers discussing it. Yamaha SA2000s, an excellently constructed guitar that was every bit equal to the Gibson it emulated, had issues where the finish went milky over much of the guitar… with no comment from Yamaha that I recall. My guess, and it is just that, is that PRS already have plenty of examples of this finish issue in house and have inspected them in hopes of eliminating future issues on this type. I know from personal experience that they make good on failings to the original purchaser.

I hope you are able to find another that plays and sounds as you want, without the ugly spots. Best of luck in your search!

This is for the best, I think, given the circumstances. I’m also retired these days, and understand that it’s a bit more important you be satisfied with purchases when the opportunities to make other such purchases may be far fewer than they once were. If you’re unsatisfied and can return it, then it doesn’t matter whether or not I think it reasonable! By all means, do it.

On the finish issues, as others have noted, they do happen and you dont hear any of the makers discussing it. Yamaha SA2000s, an excellently constructed guitar that was every bit equal to the Gibson it emulated, had issues where the finish went milky over much of the guitar… with no comment from Yamaha that I recall. My guess, and it is just that, is that PRS already have plenty of examples of this finish issue in house and have inspected them in hopes of eliminating future issues on this type. I know from personal experience that they make good on failings to the original purchaser.

I hope you are able to find another that plays and sounds as you want, without the ugly spots. Best of luck in your search!
Well, that was almost 4 years ago now...presumably the OP has moved on to something better, PRS or not.

Well hell… I was reading through “New Posts” and saw it. HUA, I suppose.

Please ignore my ignoring the date on the post, ignorant of its age.
:D

It happens!

Someone else did a drive-by post, re-animating the dead thread, and it all looks brand new if you don't look at the dates...

I resurrected this thread to make use of the important information contained within. I have a P22 and verified the PTC cost to do a refinish. Three years later, this information is still correct--my guitar is in-route. This is a "nice to know" if you have a milky finish and don'i mind paying the $$$ to get the work done.

Back