PRS 2019 Update to Silver Sky?

SonicBlue

First post to the forum. As a happy owner of a McCarty 594 and avid fan of PRS I'm surprised I haven't joined sooner.

2019 is finally here and that means NAMM is later this month. Will PRS be bringing an update to the Silver Sky to the show? The timing is perfect as many people (like me) have been on the fence, waiting for some updates before buying. I'd absolutely love a wood library neck on a vintage nitro body.

If you'll allow me to dream...

Gold Sky: New finish colors, rosewood or maple fretboards, 9.5+ or compound radius
Platinum Sky: Same as above but with additional wood types - flame, birdseye, etc.​

All models come with appropriate hard case, precise neck pocket gaps, no corners cut and no fret buzz.

Thoughts or predictions?

Don't know about NAMM as it may still be too soon, but I reckon your dreams, or something pretty close, will eventually come true.

My bet is they may come out with a different color, but since they may still be working on the backlog I am betting on no changes until late 2019 or 20

My thoughts on your dream

Its not a Silver Sky is you change the radius they made a Strat Killer called the 305 ( My Second PRS ) , 25.5 in scale 10" Radius killer guitar, didn't sell like the SS is
They also made the DC3 ( I have one of these ) I will put it against any Strat I have ever owned ( that is many ) 25 1/4 scale ( like the 513 ) it had rosewood or maple neck dots or Birds and many finishes same deal didn't sell enough to hang around, I am so glad I have one.

As far as the case goes I'm a fan of keeping the guitar price reasonable with the Gig bag, I believe you can buy the case if you like.

I've played 3- SS and worked on 1 the neck pocket was very percise and tight and there was NO fret buzz on any that I have touched.

If the make a new model it should be called something different, I for one don't think there will be a bunch of off shoots of this guitar or the F type design, I think this will be like the Santana a model in the PRS lineup that will see little change unless John Mayer wants a change.

The “Rusty Chops Model” private stock PRS will have some dead notes and some hotter’n a pistol, wolf tones, and spotty sustain in places: just like my #1 (a partsotele I cobbled together a dozen years ago).
It’ll be PRS’s first relic’d model, and come will a cheap gig bag with a pocket big enough for a shaving kit and extra socks.
On some versions, the strings will line up over pole pieces. On others, not so much.
BUT, it will accept all aftermarket parts so you can spend twice what it’s worth trying to get it to play and sound right!

I’ve actually gotten used to Rusty “Chos.”

Not my real name anyway so what care I?

If I were annoyed about it I’d have to ask, “Who’s annoyed? Who’s got the problem?”

What’s in a name anyway? I can’t afford personalized plates for my car, so have decided to have my name changed to “3336NF1.”

I’ve actually gotten used to Rusty “Chos.”

Not my real name anyway so what care I?

If I were annoyed about it I’d have to ask, “Who’s annoyed? Who’s got the problem?”

What’s in a name anyway? I can’t afford personalized plates for my car, so have decided to have my name changed to “3336NF1.”

You think yourself lucky, I typed in “Arnold Roberts” and look what I ended up with!!;)

The next big PRS thing will be the introduction of my signature model, Les’ Paul Reed Smith.

“Les, that’s so not ever going to happen.”

“I’m also planning on winning the lottery and becoming immortal this year.”
Would this work for you on the headstock :D:
MgpRgDr.jpg

Msc3HRA.jpg

The “Rusty Chops Model” private stock PRS will have some dead notes and some hotter’n a pistol, wolf tones, and spotty sustain in places: just like my #1 (a partsotele I cobbled together a dozen years ago).
It’ll be PRS’s first relic’d model, and come will a cheap gig bag with a pocket big enough for a shaving kit and extra socks.
On some versions, the strings will line up over pole pieces. On others, not so much.
BUT, it will accept all aftermarket parts so you can spend twice what it’s worth trying to get it to play and sound right!

Haha! Excellent!

Les see if I got this right, You want a Les PRS, more or less. Yes?

Yes. Les wants a Les PRS more, not less.

And PRS wants a Les PRS far less than Les, because no doubt they’d sell less PRSes if they came with a Les PRS nameplate.

Basically, I’m kidding, except if I ever order another PS I know exactly what I want. That’s not a bad thing!

The next big PRS thing will be the introduction of my signature model, Les’ Paul Reed Smith.

“Les, that’s so not ever going to happen.”

“I’m also planning on winning the lottery and becoming immortal this year.”

At your age I figured you were immortal.

:p

“I’m planning on living forever..............so far, so good.” -Steven Wright

Last edited:
At some point in the future, they might consider offering Artist packages and dealer runs (to make neck wood options available), but I don’t think they will change the base model specs like radius unless the artist wants them to... and that would be a gamble given how well the guitars have sold.

I think the problem with 305 and DC3 sales were in part chalked up to the pickups in those models and how close (or far) they came to the sounds and shape of a F Strat. John M played those guitars in live shows a couple of times before the SS arrived and there seemed to be a clear tonal difference between those and his strats. It’s a bit harder to tell the difference between the SS and his strats. If they had put the SS pickups in the 305 and DC3 then those models might still be around. But then, of course, there wouldn’t be a need for the SS.

Back