Pics....the type you play with with....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BMiller, Jul 17, 2019.

1. BMiller

BMiller New Member

Well, to accompany my post about strings and being a bad guitar dad, I thought to pose this question after practicing tonight.

When do you get rid of a pick? Yeah, some get dropped and forgotten on stage, others live through the washer but not the dryer (I found many when I took mine apart recently), and some end up in jars or cups...or wasting away on the night stand.

I use .88mm Dunlop Tortex....the green ones. I was thinking about how every time that I go to rehearsal, I put the same 10 pack in my pocket (the cardboard has long since worn off but still new) and the same old worn out stack in as well. What do I use for rehearsal and gigs? The easy ones not in the package.

So when does one get rid of a pick? I've got a couple hundred brand new ones sitting around. Three hundred or more used ones in a baggy. Why do I keep them around? Why do I keep using worn picks over new ones? What am I supposed to do with worn pics? Does the pic of choice have an impact on tone? Does it impact my ability to play?

So when do you send a worn out pick to the rubbish bin?

LSchefman likes this.
  2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Come to think of it,I don’t recall ever throwing out a pick.

danktat, Alnus Rubra, Lister and 3 others like this.
  3. Clashcityrocker

Clashcityrocker RedPilled

It's a fact that the dust created by picking is eaten by plankton in the ocean contributing to global cooling. All the scientists agree on this.

4. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

This! Packing things up last month and yep, I swear I still have nearly every dang pick I ever acquired (can’t say I bought them all!). Since switching to Blue Chip picks a few years ago I haven’t used any other pick.

LSchefman likes this.
  5. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Slightly Older Than New Member

I use those .88 tortex too. Mine probably aren't .88 at the tip anymore I use them so much. I was given several V-Picks and never really liked them so they're in a little wood box somewhere.

LSchefman likes this.
  6. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

Like other's have mentioned here, I don't think I ever 'get rid' of a pick, they just stop getting used when they get to a certain level of wear. I used to use the think purple dunlop picks. They'd last me a fair while, but eventually there'd be no real tip on them and it'd be time to retire them to the pick graveyard. I bought myself a blue chip pick (expensive to buy and import to the UK) on the recommendations here as they were said to last forever. I liked the idea of not having to adjust to a wearing pick all the time. So far so good!

LSchefman likes this.
  7. Deli6505

Deli6505 Rockin' the D!

I previously used the Green Tortex since the 80s, and switched to the Yellow Tortex picks for the past 10 years. And not to sound totally PRS fanboy-ish here, but I recently started using the orange .60 PRS picks since I'm playing more hard rock these days and not so much chug-a-lug metal. As for when to know when to chuck them, it's when the end starts getting too rounded and little nicks at the tip. Most of the time, I find them in the bottom of the washer and dryer because my wife doesn't check my pockets when she does the laundry.

LSchefman likes this.
  8. goat-n-gitter

goat-n-gitter Dismembered

I also use green Tortex (or the PRS branded equivalent). Once a year or so I get a wild hair and throw away any I find with rounded off tips, and pull out a few new ones to distribute around my studio.

LSchefman likes this.
  9. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

Lighter ones I throw away when they warp, which they do after some 10s of hours of use. Thicker ones I let get lost.

LSchefman likes this.
  10. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I've, maybe, thrown out 8 picks since 1983

Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  11. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Oh, I just lose them.

WA Paul, bodia and LSchefman like this.
  12. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

When I used the Tortex picks, I'd eventually notice my picking got less accurate when they wore down enough. Into the bin they'd go.

But now that I have a couple of Blue Chip picks, I think these suckers will last me years before they wear down.

bodia and LSchefman like this.
  13. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

When they don't taste as good, since invariably they end up in my mouth at some point when I need my hands free.

gush, Alnus Rubra, Lister and 3 others like this.
  14. Mark Ray

Mark Ray New Member

I have a little "superstition" when it comes to the picks I use. They have to be Fender, Medium, Blue Moto. I buy them by the gross on ebay as needed. I tend to really dig into the strings, and one side edge of them gets chewed up, to the point where they can snag and break a string. At a certain point I just drop it on the stage and grab another from my mike stand's pick holder (I usually use 2 or 3 per gig). I leave them where I drop them. Funny story with that: Last Saturday night we played at one of our regular establishments, and a guy who's usually there tried handing me one of the ones I had used there last month and discarded. I told him about my process and that he could keep the pick. Dude was like all happy LOL.

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

My fans treasure them when I throw them into the audience.

“Liar. You don’t have any fans.”

“Must you always follow me around and point out the obvious?”

Mbroadster, shimmilou and Alnus Rubra like this.
  16. bodia

I'd call ya out anyway. No way you're toss Blue Chips into the crowd! :p

Alnus Rubra and LSchefman like this.
  17. bodia

Between those, and Red Bear, I'll never need another pick.

18. ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© Der Hans der kann's

I use ‘em till I lose ‘em.

Now that I use Gravity picks, I am careful not to lose so many.

19. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Scrap that idea, Mr. Pen Pal. :D

20. walrus

walrus New Member

I use Dunlop Ultex .6 triangles. They can get worn after a while, but it looks like I'm the odd man out - I replace the pick when I change strings. I love the feel of a new pick, and the feel and sound of new strings! I change my acoustic strings every two months, and my PRS Hollowbody strings every month. Depending, maybe 20 hours of playing per month on the PRS, a bit less on the Guild acoustic.

It's a pretty inexpensive "treat" to give myself. I only have two guitars!

Alnus Rubra likes this.