Pics....the type you play with with....

BMiller

Well, to accompany my post about strings and being a bad guitar dad, I thought to pose this question after practicing tonight.

When do you get rid of a pick? Yeah, some get dropped and forgotten on stage, others live through the washer but not the dryer (I found many when I took mine apart recently), and some end up in jars or cups...or wasting away on the night stand.

I use .88mm Dunlop Tortex....the green ones. I was thinking about how every time that I go to rehearsal, I put the same 10 pack in my pocket (the cardboard has long since worn off but still new) and the same old worn out stack in as well. What do I use for rehearsal and gigs? The easy ones not in the package.

So when does one get rid of a pick? I've got a couple hundred brand new ones sitting around. Three hundred or more used ones in a baggy. Why do I keep them around? Why do I keep using worn picks over new ones? What am I supposed to do with worn pics? Does the pic of choice have an impact on tone? Does it impact my ability to play?

So when do you send a worn out pick to the rubbish bin?

Come to think of it,I don’t recall ever throwing out a pick.
This! Packing things up last month and yep, I swear I still have nearly every dang pick I ever acquired (can’t say I bought them all!). Since switching to Blue Chip picks a few years ago I haven’t used any other pick.

I use those .88 tortex too. Mine probably aren't .88 at the tip anymore I use them so much. I was given several V-Picks and never really liked them so they're in a little wood box somewhere.

Like other's have mentioned here, I don't think I ever 'get rid' of a pick, they just stop getting used when they get to a certain level of wear. I used to use the think purple dunlop picks. They'd last me a fair while, but eventually there'd be no real tip on them and it'd be time to retire them to the pick graveyard. I bought myself a blue chip pick (expensive to buy and import to the UK) on the recommendations here as they were said to last forever. I liked the idea of not having to adjust to a wearing pick all the time. So far so good!

I previously used the Green Tortex since the 80s, and switched to the Yellow Tortex picks for the past 10 years. And not to sound totally PRS fanboy-ish here, but I recently started using the orange .60 PRS picks since I'm playing more hard rock these days and not so much chug-a-lug metal. As for when to know when to chuck them, it's when the end starts getting too rounded and little nicks at the tip. Most of the time, I find them in the bottom of the washer and dryer because my wife doesn't check my pockets when she does the laundry.

I also use green Tortex (or the PRS branded equivalent). Once a year or so I get a wild hair and throw away any I find with rounded off tips, and pull out a few new ones to distribute around my studio.

When I used the Tortex picks, I'd eventually notice my picking got less accurate when they wore down enough. Into the bin they'd go.

But now that I have a couple of Blue Chip picks, I think these suckers will last me years before they wear down.

I have a little "superstition" when it comes to the picks I use. They have to be Fender, Medium, Blue Moto. I buy them by the gross on ebay as needed. I tend to really dig into the strings, and one side edge of them gets chewed up, to the point where they can snag and break a string. At a certain point I just drop it on the stage and grab another from my mike stand's pick holder (I usually use 2 or 3 per gig). I leave them where I drop them. Funny story with that: Last Saturday night we played at one of our regular establishments, and a guy who's usually there tried handing me one of the ones I had used there last month and discarded. I told him about my process and that he could keep the pick. Dude was like all happy LOL.

When I used the Tortex picks, I'd eventually notice my picking got less accurate when they wore down enough. Into the bin they'd go.

But now that I have a couple of Blue Chip picks, I think these suckers will last me years before they wear down.

Between those, and Red Bear, I'll never need another pick.

I use ‘em till I lose ‘em.

Now that I use Gravity picks, I am careful not to lose so many.

I use Dunlop Ultex .6 triangles. They can get worn after a while, but it looks like I'm the odd man out - I replace the pick when I change strings. I love the feel of a new pick, and the feel and sound of new strings! I change my acoustic strings every two months, and my PRS Hollowbody strings every month. Depending, maybe 20 hours of playing per month on the PRS, a bit less on the Guild acoustic.

It's a pretty inexpensive "treat" to give myself. I only have two guitars!

Back