Pics....the type you play with with....

I use Dunlop Ultex .6 triangles. They can get worn after a while, but it looks like I'm the odd man out - I replace the pick when I change strings. I love the feel of a new pick, and the feel and sound of new strings! I change my acoustic strings every two months, and my PRS Hollowbody strings every month. Depending, maybe 20 hours of playing per month on the PRS, a bit less on the Guild acoustic.

It's a pretty inexpensive "treat" to give myself. I only have two guitars!

Understood. Me being a frugal man myself, I usually prefer to use a pick until it's beyond use anymore...typically, I won't open a new bag of picks until the ones in my small plastic coaster are well-worn to the nubbins. That being said, I usually take care of and maintain my more expensive gear...the plastic picks are the only other exception...

Come to think of it,I don’t recall ever throwing out a pick.

Same. In fact, there are times that I swear my picks multiply in the cozy darkness of guitar cases. I've found picks in there that I have no memory of buying...
I still have some Fender, Tortex and Martin picks from the 70's in one of my old guitar cases. I also have a Doritos triangle pick for some reason, oh, and several packs of Panic at the Disco picks my kids got at their concert. Picks were just something I used to make noise, it wasn't until fairly recently that I made a concerted effort to try out different picks and materials. At the moment I'm using Ultex and Primetone's of various sizes.

They're definitely no Gravity or Blue Chip, but if you're used to playing a standard Dunlop or something like that, they're a great place to get them.

Yeah, I don’t really mess with fancy picks, just plain old Dunlop or Everly tortex.

In all seriousness, since I started using Blue Chips 4-5 years ago, I haven’t noticed any wear on a pick.

But before that I was using Dunlop Ultex Jazz IIIs, and after one or two sessions the edges were too worn to get the pick through the strings smoothly with the initial attack I liked.

Given the minimal cost of most picks, I didn’t mind, and simply threw the worn ones away so they wouldn’t get mixed up with new picks.

“Did you do the responsible thing and recycle them?”

“They went into a pick compost heap in my back yard.”

“Picks can’t turn into compost.”

“Then it’s no wonder the idea didn’t work.”

I use Jim Dunlop Nylon 88's. We have Steve Clayton White Pearl Picks with our Logo and Website to give out at shows..

Back