People on reverb.com

Yeah but, starting your haggling with an almost 50% offer is a d!ck move, IMO.

It’s not eBay, on Reverb you get three chances to offer, and if both parties wiggle down $100 each time, the seller will be at $1700, the buyer at $1340.... I mean, c’mon... they’re not negotiating anything.

When I was helping Bodia move his pile of guitars, we’d get this all the time, and the guys who tried this would p!ss off after the first counter offer never to be heard from again.

Understood. I don't know the MSRP price of a new McRosie myself, but I do know that asking 50% to 70% of the original MSRP is acceptable, if the owner was the original owner.

Other than that, who is going to nickel and dime you down to a reasonable price? I think it's fairly obvious that we don't know-it-all, nor should we even bother trying to pursue such reasoning. My feeling is that the potential buyer was 1) just being a jerk, 2) was overthinking the process, or 3) unable to scrape up the cash needed that would be a reasonable offer.

How many people can really afford $2000? While it's entirely possible not everyone can, I do not know if the potential buyer has that kind of loose change to spare. If the OP wished to sell at a more affordable price, you can only guess that the potential buyer was lowballing (rather clumsily) in hopes the OP would cave at less than his asking price.

And yes, you can't force people to change their viewpoint, but only see theirs, and consider your own. Could I afford a PRS Dragon I? Really, why would you even bother to ask me this? You're just spinning your wheels here.

Last edited:
Other point of order: If the OP marked up the price, what would that tell the buyer? Feel free to frame your answer in the form of a question. And realize that this is what is only in my view.

Last edited:
How many people can really afford $2000?

Dude...I get it...you're out there for the little guy. It's not about who can afford or not afford. It's about "this is what I'm looking to get for my guitar...make me a fair offer". If a buyer can't afford a $2000 guitar there's a thing called a filter and they can set it to whatever their budget is. For example...If you can only afford a $120000 house you have no business looking at or making offers on a $360000 house.

Dude...I get it...you're out there for the little guy. It's not about who can afford or not afford. It's about "this is what I'm looking to get for my guitar...make me a fair offer". If a buyer can't afford a $2000 guitar there's a thing called a filter and they can set it to whatever their budget is. For example...If you can only afford a $120000 house you have no business looking at or making offers on a $360000 house.

Not so much. It's just my view. And you're correct, it doesn't seem logical at all for someone to lowball at such a price. If the guy wanted something cheaper, there's S2's and SE's. Do we know anymore about the buyer? Is he perhaps new to Reverb? I still see it as someone spinning their wheels.

Does each offer get credited/marked as additional offer on your ad?

I'm not sure how that works either, but then again, I'm not the loose nut behind the wheel. ;)

Understood. I don't know the MSRP price of a new McRosie myself, but I do know that asking 50% to 70% of the original MSRP is acceptable, if the owner was the original owner.

Other than that, who is going to nickel and dime you down to a reasonable price? I think it's fairly obvious that we don't know-it-all, nor should we even bother trying to pursue such reasoning. My feeling is that the potential buyer was 1) just being a jerk, 2) was overthinking the process, or 3) unable to scrape up the cash needed that would be a reasonable offer.

How many people can really afford $2000? While it's entirely possible not everyone can, I do not know if the potential buyer has that kind of loose change to spare. If the OP wished to sell at a more affordable price, you can only guess that the potential buyer was lowballing (rather clumsily) in hopes the OP would cave at less than his asking price.

And yes, you can't force people to change their viewpoint, but only see theirs, and consider your own. Could I afford a PRS Dragon I? Really, why would you even bother to ask me this? You're just spinning your wheels here.

The guy is definitely a jerk. You make that offer once, ok, it is the beginning a haggling. You make it multiple times, and you're a jerk.

I'm not sure how that works either, but then again, I'm not the loose nut behind the wheel. ;)

The reason I’m asking is if there are no adverse effects to one’s ad, why not just totally ignore the additional offers? If one ignores the jerk, he may be more likely to go away. If he doesn’t, so what?

The reason I’m asking is if there are no adverse effects to one’s ad, why not just totally ignore the additional offers? If one ignores the jerk, he may be more likely to go away. If he doesn’t, so what?

As much as I'd like to try to understand your reasoning, you're not making any sense. How much caffeine have you had this evening?

I bought the guitar for 2100 about 6 months ago and the guitar is in perfect condition. Has all the case candy and original case . It’s a great guitar and if it don’t have the rosewood neck I would keep it ,but to offer me half seems a bit wrong and to do it multiple times seems even more weird . He doesn’t even raise his offer a little bit same price every time. If he would of came at me with like 1500 I probably would have countered for 1700 and maybe we could have gone from there.

A lot of people must be able to afford 2000 guitars , Prs , and Gibson and music man are all still selling a lot of guitars and they aren’t cheap.

I get the frustration. I generally don’t sell something unless I need to sell it for whatever reason. So you see some action on your auction with the hope of getting a deal done. Then the same lowball, multiple times? Just bothersome. Generally if I get crap like that, I decline and reply that I’ll never sell it for that. Generally they don’t bother after that.

As much as I'd like to try to understand your reasoning, you're not making any sense. How much caffeine have you had this evening?

Do you comprehend that I am responding to the problem presented by original poster? After a couple of days, an offer just expires if ignored.. What’s so hard to understand about simply ignoring the additional identical offers?

Last edited:
Have faith...
There are people like me out there.
If I see a $2000 axe that looks good, and I want it, I'll offer something I feel confident the seller will take like $1800/1900 or whatever.
Most sellers unless stating firm etc are willing to take slightly less and feel good about it.
Normal buyers like me are out there.
Wait a couple of weeks and drop by 5% or so. You'll sell it.
Don't take less than you're comfortable with.
Have faith.

Do you comprehend that I am responding to the problem presented by original poster? After a couple of days, an offer just expires if ignored.. What’s so hard to understand about simply ignoring the additional identical offers?

It was the way you had phrased what you said that wasn’t easily understood, though now that you’ve clarified, thanks, I’m good.

Offhand, I’m not that worried about the OP’s patience with buyers looking for cheap deals.

What really is questionable is, which one of you folks volunteered for KP duty this evening? And if so, how did all these SE’s get mixed in with the huge pile of potatoes? Hmmm? o_O:)

Last edited:

You mean by the same dude?

The reason I’m asking is if there are no adverse effects to one’s ad

I would think that having more offers would be kind of a good thing? I mean, if I were seriously looking at a guitar (that was in my price range) and saw they had a bunch of previous offers, I may be more inclined to just pay the asking price fearing that I might miss out.

I might miss out on my enjoyable week ahead, but my gardening/landscaping needs doing and the lawn isn't going to cut itself. Nothing like lots of unsightly grass waiting for you to step up with the Black & Decker weed whacker...

My reverb selling experience is different. I put in the "make an offer" option, but nobody has used it for me ever. They just buy outright posted asking price!
We always make an offer if the option is available, but never as low as half! You are going to insult the seller and they will just decline instead of counter.

You mean by the same dude?

I would think that having more offers would be kind of a good thing? I mean, if I were seriously looking at a guitar (that was in my price range) and saw they had a bunch of previous offers, I may be more inclined to just pay the asking price fearing that I might miss out.

Yes, I meant from the same dude.

Kind of a double edged sword. I see your point, but more refused offers also might make an honest and genuine bidder reluctant to offer. :confused:

Back