Thoughts on other guitars after 10 years of “Santanas”

Funny, as much as I love PRS, the Santana is the only model that has never really appealed to me. I played a rosewood neck one, and while it was exceptional, it didn’t speak to me. I’m such a 25” scale nerd…….

Banned! Ok.. stay of exile from me since you love blue guitars, but can't make any promises on what Serg is gonna do?? Blue guitars can't save you there.. :)

I am the eh hole (canucklehead) that has not played a Santana, but I have similar feelings towards the 594 (of which I have three).
So... I fully accept and expect the flurry of horrifying retorts and nasty blowback.
But... my only defense is that there's nothing around me to try out.
In additional defense I had a line on a local guy with one for a great deal and it got sniped before I could pull the trigger. It was gorgeous.
Dayum...
Man, it took me like, 17 years to finally play one, and I was actively looking for one.

Well it's a good thing you did find them. They never made it onto my interest list much less my want list. I would see the posts over and over, "is this guy delusional?" I'd ask myself lol. I had never tried one...only one that had crossed my path was a SE model. One day I had enough and decided to start shopping for one...and MAN oh MAN glad I did. It has become a VERY important part of my guitar arsenal. Sergio projected his Santana fandom all the way down to south Texas.

ZypCIUp.jpg
OMG. BOINK.

Dude, the amber-speed-knobs-over-blue era was pure genius. LOVE IT.

I’ve read the comments of people that didn’t get along with one and all I can say is: incorrect.

All those issues aren’t bugs, they’re features that help you win at life.

Aside from the obvious tonal benefits of a big short scale neck…You’re not supposed to be able to effortlessly reach all them 24 frets. It forces you to keep the majority of your wanking in the center of the fretboard so you don’t sound like a complete doofus.

The neck pickup is slightly moved back from the node so you overpower the goober of a rhythm guitarist you have in your band when you’re both using the neck pickup.

Most here know the PRS journey.

Two guys get taking about a Scottish soft drink, things get sent back and forth to one another over about 3000 miles.

One of them is a Rush fan. Something turns up in a cardboard tube.

Two guys in the Chicago area get talking, hatch a plan and something bigger than a toothbrush, but smaller than a hippo arrives in Scotland, in a box.

I can’t believe that was three (edit 4) years ago.

And so the addiction begins….

About a year ago I found my Santana -

She arrived about three weeks after purchase, due to a postal strike.

And here’s my small but perfectly formed PRS family -

Consequently my Santana is soon to be 10 years old.

Last edited:

Two guys get taking about a Scottish soft drink, things get sent back and forth to one another over about 3000 miles.

Two guys in the Chicago area get talking, hatch a plan and something bigger than a toothbrush, but smaller than a hippo arrives in Scotland, in a box.

I can’t believe that was three years ago.

Great story, great pix, great family! What a great forum!!

I can’t believe that was three years ago.

That Santana is fire! So glad you didn’t let that one go by.

I almost bought an L6 at a Chicago guitar show last weekend. :D

When I joined I remember the SE 245 gift as one of the first forum posts I read. This made me want to see what this place is about. Also, small references to Sergio and legendary parables of mischief.

That's a...a...banging (bangin' ?) Santana, everyone!

Back