Thoughts on other guitars after 10 years of “Santanas”

sergiodeblanc

They’re all trash.

Ten years ago Thanksgiving and Hanukkah collided. I was working this awful job painting a raw cedar paneled basement by day, and watching my niece and nephews up on the north shore overnight while my sister and her husband toured Italy for a week.

@Rider1260 called me looking for a quick sale of his 305 or 25th Anni Mira to fund some blue something (IIRC). Now, I had already crossed those off my want list but… I did mention I’d be interested in his KL33.

You see, I had some money in my pocket and was vocally dismayed on this forum about this SASNF that I was aggressively trying to buy off some doofus on CL but it wasn’t happening (thank god).

I’m not sure if Mike was really ready to let it go (it was his first PRS and sentimentality an’ all that) so I was being slightly evil when I sent him a text of a pic of a wad of cash.

We decided to meet the next day after work, so I sent the kids to school, started my 2 hour commute to work, worked, let the kids come home to an empty mansion (poor teenage babies), drove through a snowstorm, had a beer, and drove back up north with my new favorite thing.

I had no idea how much it was gonna change my perception of electric guitars.

I’ve still occasionally purchased other “trash” guitars after buying (or infamously acquiring) 5 more Santana shaped guitars (and playing all of @bodia’s after infecting him too) but.. they always leave me feeling a bit stupid. Like, why did I buy that?

I had already been playing PRS (pretty much exclusively) for 20 years and couldn’t understand why.. why FFS.. these weren’t the PRS guitar that the company decided to go with.

Now, I’m not sayin’ it’s the best guitar for everybody, but if you’re a true champion and winning at life.. you’re GD right, it is.

Smokin'!!! Man, it's because of you I waited to find the right KL33. A forever guitar. So happy, I didn't buy your se Santana to impatiently scratch my itch, no offense to the se, but man My KL is another league of special. Now if only I had a westie too..

Great post! Thanks again Serg

Smokin'!!! Man, it's because of you I waited to find the right KL33. A forever guitar. So happy, I didn't buy your se Santana to impatiently scratch my itch, no offense to the se, but man My KL is another league of special. Now if only I had a westie too..

Great post! Thanks again Serg
My pleasure!

And you can’t offend me about the SE, it was a purely scientific purchase.

GD, man! You are right on the money. Had no interest until I touched the White Westie (just to make sure it was working before you got it). Game over! Here's my current, and past, Santana journey. Really miss a couple that I let go (foolishly, except for the PS).

I'm including the Knaggs just because it's Joe's version...

9xPFpCK.jpg

c5ebHW1.jpg

azL3wqW.jpg

hOwjDSJ.jpg

BSwoXbQ.jpg

J1e9wLu.jpg

STbMhLE.jpg

EHxxNel.jpg

JAqloDk.jpg

I went to my local shop that had a used one in great condition in stock. I walked in with full intentions of getting the best price on it I could and buying it. I had seen pictures of it. Once I got it in my hands, it really just felt like a 24 fret version of my CU22. I am much more fond of 22 fret necks than I am 24 frets. I ended up walking out without it and haven't really wanted one since.

I went to my local shop that had a used one in great condition in stock. I walked in with full intentions of getting the best price on it I could and buying it. I had seen pictures of it. Once I got it in my hands, it really just felt like a 24 fret version of my CU22. I am much more fond of 22 fret necks than I am 24 frets. I ended up walking out without it and haven't really wanted one since.
RIP

Yes, Santanas are the real deal.
I wasn't entirely sure I needed one, but the good wife knew better. It has always been a member of The Gang of Four.
CK_151BabyDragonDetail.JPG

After a long talk with Mike The Wood Buyer, I had a dream, which became the guitar below. I've been swore to secrecy about some aspects of its becoming, though I have mentioned before that Paul and Tina held it for ransom for a while.
CK_364EywaTop.JPG

Then one day, I printed out some life sized photos of some interesting wood before going to the vault with Mrs to work out the details for this. For a while, the most reviled guitar on Facebook.
CK_845Top.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, Santanas are the real deal.
I wasn't entirely sure I needed one, but the good wife knew better. It has always been a member of The Gang of Four.
CK_151BabyDragonDetail.JPG

After a long talk with Mike The Wood Buyer, I had a dream, which became the guitar below. I've been swore to secrecy about some aspects of its becoming, though I have mentioned before that Paul and Tina held it for ransom for a while.
CK_364EywaTop.JPG

Then one day, I printed out some life sized photos of some interesting wood before going to the vault with Mrs to work out the details for this. For a while, the most reviled guitar on Facebook.
CK_845Top.jpeg
Lol! I’d almost forgotten about all the busters and goobers losing their minds over that last one (even though I know it’s not the “last” one).

It’s gotta bring you some joy to know they’re all eating their words now.

Folks those are some STUNNERS!! The white Westie is way 2 cool . There is something magic about Carlos and the instruments he's played or influenced over the decades.I have 5 models by 4 different luthiers , all have the common minimalist approach with GREAT tone. All a variant of what Carlos played. Same with his amp choices ..

Folks those are some STUNNERS!! The white Westie is way 2 cool . There is something magic about Carlos and the instruments he's played or influenced over the decades.I have 5 models by 4 different luthiers , all have the common minimalist approach with GREAT tone. All a variant of what Carlos played. Same with his amp choices ..
I’m not the biggest Carlos fan (although I am a casual fan and have seen him a few times) but I will forever give him props/thanks/praise for getting Paul to remake and reintroduce his old design.

A lot of people don’t realize the Santana was the first PRS to be produced with CNC machines. Which apparently was programmed painstakingly by Al Di Meola under much duress and pressure from the Japanese guitar makers as this industry video shows:

I’m not the biggest Carlos fan (although I am a casual fan and have seen him a few times) but I will forever give him props/thanks/praise for getting Paul to remake and reintroduce his old design.

A lot of people don’t realize the Santana was the first PRS to be produced with CNC machines. Which apparently was programmed painstakingly by Al Di Meola under much duress and pressure from the Japanese guitar makers as this industry video shows:

OK, whoever designed Al's "costume" in that video is retroactively fired! That little cape, OMG!! Other than that, fun to watch (though I don't think I need to ever see it again), thanks for sharing!!!

Back