Pawn shop CE22

GreenCustom24

SO I was perusing a local pawn shop a few weeks ago and found something I thought they'd gotten rid of a while back. I first found it about a year and a half ago and it disappeared. I finally picked it up (couldn't imagine why it'd been there for so long. It's a PRS in solid shape...) and got a closer look. It's a CE22 in Grey Black (or something similar). However, the pickups have been swapped out for unnamed Duncans, strap buttons changed and (the worst part...) someone decided it'd be a great idea to scallop the damn fretboard... So the fretboard and inlays aren't original.

The store is that YEARS ago (been in there about 7 years with only one potential buyer who took it off layaway after realizing how modded it was) they gave someone a crapload of money for it because they obviously had no clue what it was. It used to have a $2800 price tag on it and is currently "marked down" to an apparently very firm $1500. I told he guy he was crazy because of all the mods and how messed up it now is. The bad thing is, they're AWARE of how majorly overpriced it currently is. Apparently their longtime manager is being a hardass/dumbass and won't cut his losses to get rid of it. I was joking with one of the sales people that I'd come in every 2 weeks and offer $400 cash for it. She told me that wasn't a terrible idea and maybe one day he'd actually be smart and cave, but it isn't up to her.

Long story short, I was curious what you guys thought? I played it and even with the scalloped neck it's really nice. Do you guys think offering $400 is too generous (or not generous enough) since I'm basically buying a 15 year old body, bridge and tuners? Would it be super hard to find a CE22 neck or would it be more worth it to have the fretboard replaced by a luthier? Should I even bother?

SO I was perusing a local pawn shop a few weeks ago and found something I thought they'd gotten rid of a while back. I first found it about a year and a half ago and it disappeared. I finally picked it up (couldn't imagine why it'd been there for so long. It's a PRS in solid shape...) and got a closer look. It's a CE22 in Grey Black (or something similar). However, the pickups have been swapped out for unnamed Duncans, strap buttons changed and (the worst part...) someone decided it'd be a great idea to scallop the damn fretboard... So the fretboard and inlays aren't original.

The store is that YEARS ago (been in there about 7 years with only one potential buyer who took it off layaway after realizing how modded it was) they gave someone a crapload of money for it because they obviously had no clue what it was. It used to have a $2800 price tag on it and is currently "marked down" to an apparently very firm $1500. I told he guy he was crazy because of all the mods and how messed up it now is. The bad thing is, they're AWARE of how majorly overpriced it currently is. Apparently their longtime manager is being a hardass/dumbass and won't cut his losses to get rid of it. I was joking with one of the sales people that I'd come in every 2 weeks and offer $400 cash for it. She told me that wasn't a terrible idea and maybe one day he'd actually be smart and cave, but it isn't up to her.

Long story short, I was curious what you guys thought? I played it and even with the scalloped neck it's really nice. Do you guys think offering $400 is too generous (or not generous enough) since I'm basically buying a 15 year old body, bridge and tuners? Would it be super hard to find a CE22 neck or would it be more worth it to have the fretboard replaced by a luthier? Should I even bother?

I think your offer is fair considering how 'mutated' the guitar is. But if you're considering restoring it to be more original then I would just buy a new guitar. You're gonna spend a pretty penny getting it back in shape.

OR...if the scalloping is done anywhere close to correct, pick it up for 400.00...I messed with a Malmsteen a while back and it (scalloping) had a pretty cool feel, and wasn't anything how I'd imagined it ...as far as how it would throw me off.

I have seen ce bodies and necks on eBay go listed for about 400. Body and neck around 700-1000. If the body is solid and u can play the scalloped neck. Off 600-800.

For $400 i'd take it in a heartbeat, and either see how I liked the scalloped fretboard or look for a replacement online. YMMV.

My plan isn't necessarily to restore it to original. Depending on what Duncans are in it I might actually leave them in there. I figure it could be a really kickass project of sorts. I'd look into seeing how much a new fretboard would run me or just buy a new neck via Warmoth or eBay. Over time I could just mess with different pickup configurations and such. That way I wouldn't feel dirty doing it to a brand new PRS. Ha

another option I would consider .... sell the scalloped neck eBay auction. Take that couple hundred and buy a nice CE Wide /Fat maple neck for $4-500.
SO you have $6-700 in it and it's got great Seymour D's and you are good to go go go.

You can probably resell it with an original CE neck for 8-1,000$.

BTW: USACG necks makes a 25" scale strat/tele neck type necks. I bought one ($400 with tint, ss frets and rolled edges).
Still not quite as nice as a smooth PRS rolled neck. Not sure they work with CE's.

I got my 25.0" scale USACG neck 2 years ago. Destined for a MJT Strat project that I never built. Since I got my CU22 and Tom Andersons.

My plan isn't necessarily to restore it to original. Depending on what Duncans are in it I might actually leave them in there. I figure it could be a really kickass project of sorts. I'd look into seeing how much a new fretboard would run me or just buy a new neck via Warmoth or eBay. Over time I could just mess with different pickup configurations and such. That way I wouldn't feel dirty doing it to a brand new PRS. Ha

If you decide to go through with it, you might talk to Bodia. I know he picked up a CE body and was restoring it. You could ask him where he got the neck for his. He had a thread tracking the progress: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?14988-The-quot-Somebody-Buy-Me-This-quot-Project-Guitar

The neck was a b!tch to find. There was an original CE22 neck at Stratosphere going for $399, but I needed a CE24. I think the 22 would be easier to find other options for. I'm not sure if Warmouth has something that would work. When I was researching where I could get one I found a thread somewhere that said Warmouth wasn't an option. Again, I was solely looking for a 24. You need to pay attention to the hole position. They're closer together on a PRS than many other guitars.

I dunno man...there are alot of nice CEs out there used right now...gotta figure there are some better candidates to rescue...

BTW: USACG necks makes a 25" scale strat/tele neck type necks. I bought one ($400 with tint, ss frets and rolled edges).
Still not quite as nice as a smooth PRS rolled neck. Not sure they work with CE's.

Won't work. A PRS neck is the only option. They do turn up on Ebay once in a while but are usually pricey ($400-$500). For the price of the guitar & neck, you could grab a nice, intact, CE22 or CE24.

If you want to play around with it $4 to 500 is fine. I just paid $1200 for a very nice CE24 so dunking a lot of money not it is probably not the best idea unless you think of it as snk cost and just want to play around wit it,

Back