Should I put a PRS 57/08 in the bridge location of this old Strat?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I already have the pickup and the pickguard.
This is a mid 80's MIJ Fender Squier Strat. Bought it in a pawn shop many years ago.
The previous owner had routed it out to fit a Dimarzio Super Distortion...which I removed immediately and put a Duncan Custom Shop Tapped Tele Hot in. Stayed that way for years.
I have a gorgeous flame maple neck to replace the old Squier neck, which has small, 50's style frets that are pretty low. The new neck fits nice and snug in the neck pocket of the Squier and has stainless steel frets.

Last edited:
I was kind of saving this set for my CE22 someday.

You think i should put the neck pickup in and use it as the bridge pickup?

Seymour Duncan told me the same thing.

He said it would be the right volume.
Yes I Do Think The Neck Pickup Would Be The Right Sonic Fit For The Bridge Position In This Case.

I don't see an issue with using the bridge 5708. Heck, I used to be a JB in the bridge of a strat and I got it to work..

If it is, use the neck is always an option. I'd be interested to hear tone thoughts if you do.

Just fitted 57/08s (pre etching) in my 2004 CU22. Added the 3 way toggle and push/pull tone pot. Never really got on with the Dragon IIs in it. The 57/08s are outstanding and the split coil sounds are brilliant. So it’s got to be worth a try in a Strat.

Just fitted 57/08s (pre etching) in my 2004 CU22. Added the 3 way toggle and push/pull tone pot. Never really got on with the Dragon IIs in it. The 57/08s are outstanding and the split coil sounds are brilliant. So it’s got to be worth a try in a Strat.
I have a set of 57/08s in my 2006 CU22 that went into it in 2009. Huge improvement! Are your 57/08s 2 wire or 4? I have a 4 wire set in my 594. They are hotter but still have great detail in them.

I have a set of 57/08s in my 2006 CU22 that went into it in 2009. Huge improvement! Are your 57/08s 2 wire or 4? I have a 4 wire set in my 594. They are hotter but still have great detail in them.
2 wire as I recall. They are very ‘revealing’ of all my poor technique and inaccurate fretting!
I did have a tech install them, and the new loom, the pups came out of his CU22 which he had just sold!

Looking good! Nice color too!

How's that working for you?

Is the warm tone of the 57/08 compatible with the brighter tone and lower output of the single coils?

Are those the regular JM single coils?

What would you change in that guitar to make it sound even better?

Or are you totally satisfied?

I'm a little worried about using a humbucker with 250K pots.

Worried that they'll make it sound dull because 500K is what I usually use.

Back