Do you really need two tone controls on a Silver Sky or Strat?

Do you need TWO tone controls? I kind of prefer just a volume and tone.

I'm not going to alter my Silver Skys.

But I am going to get my 80's MIJ Squier up and running again and thinking of putting pickups and controls in this pickguard:

I'm going to put the "bridge tone control" where it usually is. But I'm thinking I'll put the volume control a little closer to where the neck tone control would normally be. Kind of between them.

And use Tele knobs. Just two.

Any thoughts?
I have the neck/middle tone control at 10 and the rear tone control at 7, but since I almost always play in the neck, neck/middle and middle positions it doesn’t really matter!

I love having the Tone Control on the Bridge pickup of an SSS guitar , I did remove the tone from the middle pickup at one time so I had tone on the neck and bridge , makes the middle louder and the 2 + 4 positions fun if I was going to do one tone it would be bridge only

I love having the Tone Control on the Bridge pickup of an SSS guitar , I did remove the tone from the middle pickup at one time so I had tone on the neck and bridge , makes the middle louder and the 2 + 4 positions fun if I was going to do one tone it would be bridge only
I like that sound and 4 out of 5 settings do have a tone control. Only the middle pickup by itself doesn’t.

Wiring it that way prevents the two tone controls from being on together and from being in parallel and dividing their resistance in half and allowing more treble to pass through them to ground and throwing away treble.

That’s how I’m going to wire this guitar.

Last edited:
@Lewguitar one of my all time favorite configurations for S-style guitars is what G&L uses for their S-500 guitars. The exception being that I used a push-pull pot instead of a mini toggle.
This gets you bass cut and treble cut for each pickup selector position, and the push-pull adds neck pickup so you can get Tele neck/bridge, or all 3 pickups for a really fat tone. Swiss Army style setup makes it such a versatile setup.
http://guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=6156

@Lewguitar one of my all time favorite configurations for S-style guitars is what G&L uses for their S-500 guitars. The exception being that I used a push-pull pot instead of a mini toggle.
This gets you bass cut and treble cut for each pickup selector position, and the push-pull adds neck pickup so you can get Tele neck/bridge, or all 3 pickups for a really fat tone. Swiss Army style setup makes it such a versatile setup.
http://guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=6156
Hmmm. This guitar has gone through a few permutations! But i don't think I'll do that.

Decided on a '02 Orange Drop for the tone cap and no tone control for the middle pickup. Just the neck and bridge.

Otherwise, it's going to be wired like my Silver Sky with a 300K volume pot and a 3.3M resistor.

Last edited:
Back