Paul Reed Smith (PRS) 30th Anniversary SE Custom 24 - Value?

steves

I'm looking at this for my first PRS purchase ?
Only an intermediate player...can I get your thoughts?
He's asking $550?

Updated for PRS's 30th Anniversary, the 30th Anniversary SE Custom 24 is the pinnacle of value in the realm of workhorse guitars. W

Top Wood: Beveled Maple Top w/ Quilt Maple Veneer
Body Wood: Mahogany
Number of Frets: 24
Scale Length: 25"
Neck Wood: Maple
Fretboard Wood: Rosewood
Fretboard Inlays: 30th Anniversary Birds
Neck Shape: Wide Thin
Bridge: PRS Designed Tremolo
Tuners: PRS Designed Tuners
Hardware Type: Nickel
Treble Pickup: PRS SE HFS Treble
Bass Pickup: PRS SE Vintage Bass
Controls: Volume & Push/Pull Tone Control w/ 3-Way Blade Pickup Selector
Gig Bag

That’s probably a good price if it’s in great shape. After a search, I saw 3 from $549 to $719.

Thanks, sorry for another question... since then, have there been many improvements in the SE Custom 24 line, that might be a better purchase?
There are many newer preowned SE' s around for $500 +?

If it were me and the price was the same, I'd try to find a newer one with the 85/15s pickups. I prefer the sound of those over the SE HFS/VB pickups that came in the 30th anniversary models. Other than that, I think the only difference is the fret markers and the headstock logo.

My first PRS was a 30th Anni SE CU24 and I liked it fine, just wound up having to move it for a guitar I'd been looking for for a while. The price seems to be pretty much in line with what they go for if they're in great shape.
Now there are a ton of other SE options available in that price range or just a bit above. Better? Only you can decide. There's a certain dealer in La Crosse Wisconsin(full disclosure, I've never bought from them) that always seems to have a lot of really nice used PRS SE guitars for what I consider decent prices. Looking at their website this morning, they have a used 2019 SE Pauls Guitar in Aqua for just $100 more than the asking price of that Anni. If I was looking in the SE market, that guitar would be worth the extra bit of coin for the better versatility over the Anni, but that's something only you can decide. Best of luck!

Thanks, So he dropped the price to $500..."

"The guitar is in excellent condition. No scratches, no fret wear. Low action and very easy to play."

I'm only a beg/inter player ,so not sure what is "best" for me...I am learning on a Player Strat MIM 2018 , which I really like, I just have always wanted a PRS too!!

There's a BIG selection of SE's on Reverb, $450-550 ...just wondering if the "30th Aniv" is worth anything extra?

Any guitar you have played and like is worth more than any other 'equivalent' guitar on the Internet that you don't know personally.

The questions you should be considering.

1. Is this in my price range?
2. Do I like this guitar enough to spend that amount on it?

Going into a guitar with the thought of 'how much can I sell it for' is more often than not a losing proposition.

It looks like the difference in the 30th Aniv. SE guitars are they used a quilt veneer for the top. It's up to you to consider if the aesthetics are worth more to you. Many here would argue that is *is* an important aspect of cultivating the emotional connection to an instrument (myself included), but there are others who will put more emphasis on the feel between two instruments. The magical combination being, of course, having both.

tl;dr: As yourself "Is this work $$$ to *me*" - if so, buy it.

Last edited:
I also would recommend trying one of the 85/15 SE models ... but there's nothing wrong with other pickups either.

It is only 500 bucks now ... and if in excellent condition ... hey go for it right?

I have a chestnut 30th Anni SE custom 24. It’s a fine instrument that “spoke” to me when I played it. It’s in gig rotation with 2 S2’s and 2 core guitars this month.

Be prepared that in the next few months that several people will be trading in for 35th Anniversary models and many instruments may become available.

If you can, go and play a few and get a feel for what you like.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Just be warned, it won’t be your last!;)

Back