Overall direction of PRS guitars

Maybe this guy also needs a bit of a history lesson? Since 1955, what were the major developments that F&G made to their products to change them in the marketplace.

Eric Clapton model - awesome guitar
Set Neck F's - total flop
Photo Flame finish - bomb o rama
Robo tuners - Mr, Lobotomy
Alex Lifeson Axxess Les Paul - awesom guitar
The Marauder, flying v, moderne
The sand blasted strat - why would anyone buy one.

My point is that after this very short list, the guitars are basically the same as they were with minor tweaks here and there.

Now lets go to the PRS side of the coin.

Tuners that stay in tune
Tremelo that stays in tune
multiple body, scale and neck shape
All levels of finish
Looks from retro to modern
good pickups
successful set necks and bolt ons.

Not many dogs but a lot of innovation here.

Aww man... I'd really hoped my over the top belligerent outrage woulda given this thread enough steam to reach 5 or 6 pages. We haven't had a flame war inna looooong time... and Dammit! I wanna internet so hard right now! :p

Aww man... I'd really hoped my over the top belligerent outrage woulda given this thread enough steam to reach 5 or 6 pages. We haven't had a flame war inna looooong time... and Dammit! I wanna internet so hard right now! :p

I'd flame ya, but I can't think of anything to do that over, so you'll have to flame me first.

I could tell you about my new non-PRS bass or the fact that I'm using a hand-me-down Radio Shack keyboard as a soft synth controller?
The Radio Shack keyboard scares me a bit.
I seem to remember assembling one years ago when I was bored. Or maybe it was because I wanted it to work again after disassembling it when I was bored.

I don't know about your radio shack keyboard, but at one time, didn't they sell rebranded Moogs? Hardly flameworthy.

Hey, I went into a fabric shop earlier tonight, and there were some absolutely fabulous fabrics. I bought two yards of this lovely black/magenta polyester, and I don't even know what I"m going to do with it yet. Thought of you, though, Serge.

The Radio Shack keyboard scares me a bit.
I seem to remember assembling one years ago when I was bored. Or maybe it was because I wanted it to work again after disassembling it when I was bored.
I don't know about your radio shack keyboard, but at one time, didn't they sell rebranded Moogs? Hardly flameworthy.

Hey, I went into a fabric shop earlier tonight, and there were some absolutely fabulous fabrics. I bought two yards of this lovely black/magenta polyester, and I don't even know what I"m going to do with it yet. Thought of you, though, Serge.

I got the keyboard from my stepmother, it's surprisingly "not bad" so far. Not sure why but I've been destroying all the USB controllers I've bought the last 4-5 years.

It pleases me to hear that I was in your thoughts when you bought something fancy for yourself, Dusty. I take it as a supreme compliment.
Maybe it'll make a great headboard covering or inspire a custom toilet seat?

No, I think it is the whole eco-system. Having a ton of work done to the house these days so I put the guitars away in their cases and in a closet far away from the dust and grime generated from construction. Given the changes in temperature and humidity in the northeast during spring and fall, the Ce 22 came out of the case perfectly in tune after three weeks of construction and sitting in the case. Ok, I lied, the G string was a hair off. That did not sound right.....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it GC that decided not to stock so many PRSi in many of their stores?

100% in agreement. I may be speaking out of school, but I think PRS would like to see more of their beautiful guitars in stores so that people can play them.

Last time I checked, all the hollow and semi-hollow bodies had piezo pickups in them. That's pretty much the only thing I don't care for in PRS. Keep the piezo only as an option and the direction is just right. Plenty of models for everyone.

I am guilty of being that Fender and Gibson only type of guy for over 40 yrs. PRS wasn't even on my radar until I picked one up to play it. That one guitar,not mine, and in GC, I guess a blue something or another, played like no guitar in my experience. I knew that someday, I would get one. It's hard to not join the bandwagon when you have one given to you. You have no skin in the game at that point other than playing it. I still have it and will for probably the rest of my lifetime, it's that good, and the others surely get played too, but expanding mental horizons is a good thing, sometimes an accident but good none the less.

Back