Overall direction of PRS guitars

Brian Lear

I found a website where someone wrote an article basically saying that he didn't like PRS guitars because all the guitars on sale at GC and Sam Ash are the blingy, flame maple tops and what he really wanted was a real simple, players guitar with a classy vintage finish like a metallic frost. Here is the link: http://menga.net/why-i-dont-like-prs-guitars

I wrote him back and here is the response:
A few models have the two finish options of Champagne Gold Metallic and Frost Green Metallic. And example of this is seen here if you scroll way down http://www.prsguitars.com/custom24/
These are never seen in guitar stores. I have not one but three Guitar Centers near me (Tampa, Clearwater and Lakeland Florida) and a Sam Ash hub store (Tampa, FL) where the main guitar warehouse for a big chunk of what Sam Ash serves in the southeastern US, and no PRS's are ever seen in the two finishes mentioned above. You'd never know they exist unless you went to the PRS web site.
I would literally have to go to eBay just to get one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121942607237
...and that's just plain stupid. Whose fault is this? PRS's. They prefer to push the fugly finishes over the elegant ones, and wow do they take their sweet time getting stock into guitar stores.
Again, the build quality isn't in dispute. PRS already has classy finishes available. But they're just not delivering them to any guitar stores, large or small.

Is the return of the CE going to fix all this?
Howabout the S2?
Do we need the Standard-24 back?

Eh, I don't know. I feel that PRS guitars regardless of intent aren't for everyone. If Someone is turned off by or intimidated by the fact the the guitars have a certain reputation, that speaks more than their desire for paint. I like pretty much all of the models, both in flat paints and even the overly blinged ones, maybe those for the sake of the art, but if handed one, I'm not turning it down due to it's overly dressed looks. I think I can play better than that to be worried about being seen with one. $$$ plays a huge undeniable factor in most of the rants you hear about PRS guitars. I don't want that to come off as elitist, but If you want one, and only have money for a Squier, perhaps your view of the expensive guitar becomes a bit tainted. They didn't get the reputation of lawyer and doctor guitars because they played terribly, it's because of cost and exclusivity.

Like I give a sh!t what some boner I've never heard of likes.
Indeed. Everyone has their right to an opinion, and the Internet is full of them. And I have opinions right back...

And welcome back!

To blame PRS for not having lots of models in GC is very bizarre, based on the history of the last few years.

Well, he can go buy a (picks model at random in reasonable price range) Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 3T in whatever finish he likes, every GC will have two dozen of them. Oh wait, not even that is true! I just looked at all the Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 3T models in stock at my local GC (according to that Internet thing again), and they have 3 colors: Honey Burst, Wine Red, and Cherry Burst.

Yeesh.

If you don't like them, don't buy them. Plain and simple. More for us knuckleheads who like the brand! The writer obviously says nothing positive so it sounds like a planted comment. The writer also used the word kitschy to describe the design and finish. Kitschy describes the pictures of dogs playing poker not flame maple guitar tops. A hello kitty flame top may be a bit Kitschy.

The GC comment is really bizarre because the last time is was in GC, there were two used PRS's on the wall. Same with Scam Cash but the carpet smelled worse. Franky, I was tired of going into GC to take a finger printed out of tune guitar off the wall.

Screw personal preference, anyone who describes PRS with the phrase "questionable esthetic value" and then goes on to promote Dean guitars... Yikes!

That aside, this guy is clearly a bargain-bin shopper that would hide a penny between his butt cheeks all day to say he saved money. Obviously he has an axe to grind, and I just don't get that. Clearly he's into the stripped down esthetic appeal of Fender and the like. Fine. I actually like that stuff too, visually I get along with many brands. This guys is just a hater obsessed with image of anything that's not made for saving him money.

Lastly, the S2 Mira is overpriced? Dream on buddy. I'd like to spend an hour with the sub-$1k, USA made guitar you prefer... except, oh wait, I wouldn't, because I've tried them and they're usually $h!t.

Sounds like he's got an issue problem and the I/Q of a carrot ("or is that being kind to a carrot").
But on a lighter note. Welcome back Serge Sun Is Shining!!!.

Fair enough. Just so y'all know, as a newcomer here, you guys actually sound angrier than he does!
And as a newcomer who owns and loves several core PRS guitars, I only posted it to start a discussion. I agree, he seems to have a strange chip on his shoulder.
But give the guy some credit, he did make one good point, and that is this--they would sell more guitars if they put a variety of cheaper, more basic guitars with less flashy aesthetics in stores. Like if GC had a rack of 6 CEs in basic finishes lined up on the wall, and then 1 or 2 customs or santanas. I think what he is saying, from a fairly lay perspective, is, "where are the guitars"? As in, I think he doesn't have much money, is stuck in the music store looking at a single $xxxx custom up near the ceiling wondering why they operate like that in the big box stores. Not like PRS has a problem with sales, but the guy has a point.

And yes, the S2 Mira is overpriced, but that's another thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find that we're mostly kind, understanding fellas here, until someone drops a steamy turd on our collective carpet (in this case him, not you, no worries). Mostly we chat about what we like, not bashing other brands.

-they would sell more guitars if they put a variety of cheaper, more basic guitars with less flashy aesthetics in stores. Like if GC had a rack of 6 CEs in basic finishes lined up on the wall, and then 1 or 2 customs or santanas. I think what he is saying, from a fairly lay perspective, is, "where are the guitars"? As in, I think he doesn't have much money, is stuck in the music store looking at a single $3000 custom up near the ceiling wondering why they operate like that in the big box stores. Not like PRS has a problem with sales, but the guy has a point.

And yes, the S2 Mira is overpriced, but that's another thread!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it GC that decided not to stock so many PRSi in many of their stores?

I agree that he has a point. Not so much about PRS to blame about it...but of guitars in general. Which PRS may be partly responsible for. I remember when figured tops seemed rare and special. Now they are on everything almost. Although many are thin veneers that don't really look that great. PRS was the special guitar back the with those tops. Well, they still are. :)

But i wish there was some more 'plain top' guitars and PRS guitars out there. That nice old Les Paul look.

Back