Overall direction of PRS guitars

I disagree that it's a problem. I buy online mostly from places that have a decent return policy, or I buy used at prices that I can flip if I'm not happy with them (and/or am willing to take a small hit).

Ah, there he is! Good to have you back hombre.
And welcome back!
Welcome back Serge Sun Is Shining!!!.
And good to see you posting again Sergio!
Serge Protector is back? It just hasn't been as interesting without you.

Hey Taylor, you want Sergio back?

Whoa, whoa, whoa... This is strictly a late night-missing you-booty call. I'm not ready for anything serious. I got tipsy and nostalgic and I am only tryin' to slide onto your DM's first off..

.. Second: Taylor and I are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together. The #sergiodeswift twitter account has been permanently deactivated.

Fair enough. Just so y'all know, as a newcomer here, you guys actually sound angrier than he does!
And as a newcomer who owns and loves several core PRS guitars, I only posted it to start a discussion. I agree, he seems to have a strange chip on his shoulder.
But give the guy some credit, he did make one good point, and that is this--they would sell more guitars if they put a variety of cheaper, more basic guitars with less flashy aesthetics in stores. Like if GC had a rack of 6 CEs in basic finishes lined up on the wall, and then 1 or 2 customs or santanas. I think what he is saying, from a fairly lay perspective, is, "where are the guitars"? As in, I think he doesn't have much money, is stuck in the music store looking at a single $3000 custom up near the ceiling wondering why they operate like that in the big box stores. Not like PRS has a problem with sales, but the guy has a point.

And yes, the S2 Mira is overpriced, but that's another thread!

The only point dude has is on the top of his head. Since you're new here I'll explain that means he's a conehead: He's an inverted boner that posts subjective, clickbait threads that he makes money off of when we visit his site and/or buy sh!t he has linked from Amazon until it bursts out the top of his cranium.

I'd tell y'all to check for yourself and read his disclaimer that he posts at the bottom of his page. Check out his lame wish list and how you can send this vaping/not really vegetarian/spammer/narcissist a f@ckin' bagel and coffee so he can tell you more about Seiko watches and Agile guitars but doesn't have the balls or wit to allow comments on his page. Dude's a wannabe shill... and we don't fall for no banana inna tailpipe 'round here. People have been making fun of us PRS owners for so long that we smell this sh!t comin' a mile away.

The anger isn't directed at you, buddy. The anger comes from peeps that form an opinion out of ignorance and lead others to follow them without having the experience to rock one of these guitars. Welcome to the site.

I think the answer here is pretty simple:

A) The guitars that sit on shelves longer will be the more expensive ones, and thus the more blingy ones. True for PRS or any other make of just about any other product. And GC is unutterably useless at promoting or selling from their "platinum" rooms.
B) The stores order from PRS. PRS does not force product down throats AFAICT -- they don't have the leverage that Gibson had until recently.
C) GC's purchasing has little or nothing to do with quality, value, or people. I have yet to see any brand besides Fender and Gibson well represented in a GC, and they really don't do a good job of that either. Actual PRS dealers do carry SEs and S2s. Choosing GC as a representation of PRS is either ignorant, trollful, hateful, or all three.

And how long has the SE line been out? >_< I guess you could call a maple veneer "bling", but SE Standard.

These preconceptions are why I think the S2 (and possibly CE) line will have a big impact for the company, but it will take time. As we all know, humans tend to get a bug up their butt and have a hard time getting it back out. Reminds me of a meme that I can't find, something along the lines of "It takes a troll 2 minutes to unload a pile of bulls**t, and 4 hours for an informed person to clean it up." Or maybe just haters gonna hate.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... This is strictly a late night-missing you-booty call. I'm not ready for anything serious. I got tipsy and nostalgic and I am only tryin' to slide onto your DM's first off..

.. Second: Taylor and I are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together. The #sergiodeswift twitter account has been permanently deactivated.

The only point dude has is on the top of his head. Since you're new here I'll explain that means he's a conehead: He's an inverted boner that posts subjective, clickbait threads that he makes money off of when we visit his site and/or buy sh!t he has linked from Amazon until it bursts out the top of his cranium.

I'd tell y'all to check for yourself and read his disclaimer that he posts at the bottom of his page. Check out his lame wish list and how you can send this vaping/not really vegetarian/spammer/narcissist a f@ckin' bagel and coffee so he can tell you more about Seiko watches and Agile guitars but doesn't have the balls or wit to allow comments on his page. Dude's a wannabe shill... and we don't fall for no banana inna tailpipe 'round here. People have been making fun of us PRS owners for so long that we smell this sh!t comin' a mile away.

The anger isn't directed at you, buddy. The anger comes from peeps that form an opinion out of ignorance and lead others to follow them without having the experience to rock one of these guitars. Welcome to the site.
Take care serge all the best.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it GC that decided not to stock so many PRSi in many of their stores?

I can surely testify to this! I have heard on the Gear Page both loving and bashing of PRS. I have heard for years about PRS guitars being for doctors and lawyers. I have read and heard the blingy comments and all the rest.
My local GC had several Korean PRS guitars and one satin S2 in the store, The only PRS I ever got to hold was that S2 satin.

I believe part of it is the Gibson and Fender mentality where everything else doesn't count, at least among the uninformed, or those who have played only G & F all of their lives and don't like change. Yes there is a lot of Gibson bashing, but they bring that down on themselves, because Henry is so high and mighty, and self-important, and makes really stupid decisions, at least several times a year.

I also have read about the cost issue, but it also exists with the other companies as well. Gibson raised their prices by about 30% two years ago. In my years of playing, I have noticed that guitar players, that I have seen in my living area, are clique-ish types. They also seem to have opinions of another player partially based on what gear he or she uses, compared to what gear the person doing the judging has. This is so childish.

When I started playing on what we called in NJ as "the circuit", I had about 40 guitars and always switched up every job. No one saw me playing the same guitar twice for months. I was not liked, but I believe jealousy was part of it.
However, after I was there for awhile and they got to know me, that stopped.

While a plain guitar is fine, I believe that with the advent of players becoming aware of original bursts more in the mid 1960's, that flame tops and other bling began to be more incorporated in the building, Before that most of us playing in the 1950's, and before that, never gave it a thought. It was only seen on higher end guitars like Gibson archtops, D'Angelico's, Strombergs, and mandolins. The only instruments where flame was predominant, that I personally remember, was violins and that family of instruments, and the sound chambers of harps.

Marketing and hype brought on the bling. The vintage market changed a lot of minds, and the famous players using flamey guitars caused everyone to want what their favorite player was using. I kind of laugh at this, even though it is true, as my teacher played a '50's burst LP, so I saw it, and was allowed to play it all the time.

I am probably one here who has the least contact with a PRS, since I never got to play one and only held an S2 for a couple of minutes. However in that short time, I realized that I wanted to join the PRS family and play one. As I looked at all the models, and read anything I could find on PRS, I kept changing my mind on which model I may desire to start with. It lead me to start saving, and I finally decided that a PS guitar was what I most would like. Part of this decision is based on the fact that every time I tried to buy a lower end guitar after all the years I have been playing only high-end pieces, that lower end guitars lacked the attention to detail given higher end pieces.

I know PRS pays more attention to detail on all their lines, but I decided that if I am going to give PRS guitars a chance, I might as well get exactly what I want.

Last edited:
Is this guy for real? He literally has an article talking about offset guitars being "hipster junk". Seems like this guy has more opinions than sense. PRS offers finishes of all kinds, from plainer solid tops like black, white, and goldtops, to crazy flames and burst finishes. If you don't like flames, buy a solid color top.

Edit: Also, just a quick youtube search for "PRS" will net you thousands of videos, from shop demos to amateur videos. Clearly, this guy hasn't done his research and is talking out of his a$$.

Haters gonna hate.

It's his opinion. I'm OK with that, he can say what he wants. A careful reader will realize that he's talking through his hat by the time they get to the end of his first sentence. (The malapropism had me re-reading it a couple of times to try to guess his meaning.)

If that wasn't enough to clue the reader in "concerning" his cluelessness, the third sentence should seal the deal. Not understanding that bird (and moon) inlays are to PRS what the trapezoids are to Gibson shows the writer to simply not understand branding. Would he expect Mercedes to abandon the star? Methinks that he would.

So, having identified the writer as a moron long before I ever got to the meat of his "argument" makes it that much easier to dismiss him outright and not even continue reading.

I have better, more productive things to do. Like omphaloskepsis..

Anyone who tries to compare a sub $100 guitar to ANYTHING (not just PRS), as superior to anything other than a sub $100 guitar, probably shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Fair enough. Just so y'all know, as a newcomer here, you guys actually sound angrier than he does!

You gotta be careful with that stuff here. I've found out the hard way on that one. Figuratively speaking, you fire a warning shot across the bow of someones boat here and they'll not only destroy your boat but the boat of everyone else you know, and then send in nukes just to be sure. :)

Reactions: DHW
I found a website where someone wrote an article basically saying that he didn't like PRS guitars because all the guitars on sale at GC and Sam Ash are the blingy, flame maple tops and what he really wanted was a real simple, players guitar with a classy vintage finish like a metallic frost. Here is the link: http://menga.net/why-i-dont-like-prs-guitars

I wrote him back and here is the response:

Is the return of the CE going to fix all this?
Howabout the S2?
Do we need the Standard-24 back?

Obvious self promoter is obvious.... Got anymore links to your own site you want us to see?

From the first moment I put a PRS in my hands, I knew there was something about the sound and the feel of them that I love. I'm not sure when that was - maybe around 1994. I finally saved up or just decided "no matter what they costs they are worth it" and bought my first in 2001. The finish, the feel, the way they play and the way they sound is just better to me than any other brand around even Suhr and Tom Anderson. That goes for any model from SE all the way to core. I just wish I had bought the first before I had numerous Fender, Gibson, Yamaha, etc. (pieces of crap) that weren't cheap. I could have saved myself a lot of expense and heartbreak.

When I sold new Lamborghini and Ferrari for a living I was always attacked by the Mustang and Corvette crowd about how over priced they were and not a good value. My reply was always..." You still want one though don't you? "

The fact is PRS is not for everyone and this guy...bless his heart...misses the entire point.

"I can explain it to you...but I can't understand it for you"

Steve

Obvious self promoter is obvious.... Got anymore links to your own site you want us to see?
No I'm not the owner of the website, I just stumbled across it. I mean, he uses Squier guitars through digitech multi effect pedals.

No I'm not the owner of the website, I just stumbled across it. I mean, he uses Squier guitars through digitech multi effect pedals.

Well, that changes everything!

The guy must be a guitar expert. We should all be throwing money at his donation link so we can have more of these insightful reviews!

Not even going to get started on this one. It's Friday, and I've got Cosmos and Apple-tinis to drink. I'll just stick with, "If it sounds awesome, and feels good, I don't care who makes it, or what it looks like. I'm in."

Folks, let's see this thread for what it is meant to be: a chance to re-enact the Festivus tradition of "The Airing of Grievances." And what could be better than celebrating Festivus in April? I'll get started while the rest of you find stuff to gripe about.

Personally, I don't like PRS guitars because back in 1984, I was one of the main financial backers of Synsonic Music Instrument Co. We were poised to take over the guitar market at the 1985 NAMM show with our new line of instruments made entirely out of recycled vinyl, when that Smith guy shows up with his hair and those stupid wooden guitars.... I lost everything that year. And that's why I don't like PRS guitars.

The fact is PRS is not for everyone and this guy...bless his heart...misses the entire point.

"I can explain it to you...but I can't understand it for you"

Steve
Heh, heh. "Bless his heart" is Southern-speak for "He's so stupid". Thought y'all might like to know, if y'all didn't already. ;)

Well...even if it wasn't purposeful, it seems you (and some of us, admittedly) fell for his gambit of "generate traffic by being controversial", so I think the best thing we can do is not to go to the website.

Last edited:
Back