OMG....My PRS was just delivered. How long to wait until opening box???

EasyWorkFlow

I read somewhere on this forum that I should not open box until guitar acclimated to Temp change. I live in NYC and it's cold. Guitar was sent from LA.

What is recommended as far as waiting to open box? It was delivered UPS. This is my first PRS so I am going to flip when I see her.
Thanks.

And yes, I will get my Iphone ready and take a few pics of Blunisha. She is a a "sister" who is dark & gorgeous so I had to give her a name. I play the blues so it works. Of course, any suggestions are welcome.

But more concerned about climate change.
Thanks

That's like telling a 12 year old to wait 24 hours to open his Christmas gifts. So that means do not even open cardboard box. Leave as is and wait until 5;00 PM tomorrow. I will do so my friend. Not an easy task but you guys know a heck of a lot more than me.

Thanks for quick reply.

BobbyD

ok, I understand the logic when you're in areas where difference between outside/inside temp is great.

but since I live in SoCal, and it's basically summer all year, and chances are, my guitar will have been on a hot truck all day long...I could probably open mine the second I get it, right?

ok, I understand the logic when you're in areas where difference between outside/inside temp is great.

but since I live in SoCal, and it's basically summer all year, and chances are, my guitar will have been on a hot truck all day long...I could probably open mine the second I get it, right?

Totally get it. Thanks. But I must ask you if you enjoy torturing me by saying you could open the box as soon as you got it. Just kidding but you get my drift. I waited 37 years to buy a high end PRS so what's another day. I bought the guitar used on Ebay and seller said it was in mint condition, had a 100% rating, and offers a 14 day money back guarantee. So tomorrow it will be. I have plenty to do tonight and tomorrow so it 's really not a biggie. I just hope she is as hot as ViperDoc's photo.

PS....I am moving to CA at end of year. Don't know where, but 5 friends all mentioned Santa Monica. Looking for a place that has a vibrant music scene and definitely a Blues Club. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks

If it's not nitro, doubt you'd have an issue after just a few hours.

I've never hesitated to open a guitar, no matter the temp difference. I know this has come up before, but personally I have never understood the 'let it acclimate' theory. I'm originally from Maryland, and I can't count the number of times I have had to open a guitar case that sat in a van overnight in the middle of Winter, tune up and go. Never had an issue.

Santa Monica is great, not sure if I would characterize the music scene there as "vibrant" but you would be reasonably close to parts of town that have a lot more going on. If you don't need to live by the ocean you have lots of choices. For people transitioning to LA, I always recommend thoroughly reviewing LA Weekly: http://www.laweekly.com/
It's a good starting off point to get a feel for what is going on in town and where things are happening. Look for the kind of stuff you are most interested in and you will see trends develop. LA is so spread out that there is not really any central area for any one thing, so become familiar with the different areas and it will be a good starting point for when you get to town and start checking out neighborhoods.

that thing went through so many temp changes already... Warm factory to cold truck(potentially) to warm store(Summer would be opposite). Warm store to cold truck, to heated sorting facility, to bloody cold cargo hold, to warm sorting facility, to cold truck, to warm local sorting facility, to cold truck, to warm house. Keep in mind it was packed with massive amounts of thermal mass with the other boxes and the padding in the case would offer much insulation. A car finish doesn't crack when it's below freezing and you run it through a HOT car wash and this finish is the same. The wood is dry so the chances of splitting are Nill. Condensation is the only real risk and that wouldn't worry me much with such simple electronics.

Yeah, you'll be fine.

For me, being in Ontario, Canada, I would normally have to wait, but as we're expecting the Hoclomb sigs near the end of May, it'll be plenty warm enough for me to open it within an hour, if I have to wait at all.

Totally get it. Thanks. But I must ask you if you enjoy torturing me by saying you could open the box as soon as you got it. Just kidding but you get my drift. I waited 37 years to buy a high end PRS so what's another day. I bought the guitar used on Ebay and seller said it was in mint condition, had a 100% rating, and offers a 14 day money back guarantee. So tomorrow it will be. I have plenty to do tonight and tomorrow so it 's really not a biggie. I just hope she is as hot as ViperDoc's photo.

PS....I am moving to CA at end of year. Don't know where, but 5 friends all mentioned Santa Monica. Looking for a place that has a vibrant music scene and definitely a Blues Club. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks

hahaha, actually it was really just an honest question. but don't feel bad, you get yours tomorrow, mines not supposed to be shipped until mid-may sometime.

and unfortunately, I have no recommendations since I've lived in the same town for 25 years and blues clubs aren't really my scene. However everyone I've known who's lived in Santa Monica remembers their time there fondly and it's a decent place to live as long as you can afford it. Also parking is a nightmare so make sure wherever you end up offers dedicated resident parking. Also, start using the word "the" before freeway numbers or everyone will know you're a transplant and will make fun of you profusely for it...and get used to having the conversation of "how long did it take you to drive here?" as the starter to any social gathering. By the way, there is no real "authentic" NY style pizza here so stop looking and just eat whatever's closest (except Bronx Pizza in San Diego is pretty damn good). Public transportation is a joke, you MUST own a car....and make it a comfy car, because any time you get in it, you will be in it for a while. There is definitely a vibrant music scene (for better or worse) in LA so I'm sure you'll find something that tickles your fancy. LA Weekly is your friend for entertainment/shows.

That's about all I got...really, LA is all about 2 questions "how much driving do I want to do" and "how much do I want to spend"...answer those two questions and you'll know where you should end up. :)

PRS recommends 4-6 hours if the guitar was brought in very cold weather. I asked recently.

Gball, I've opened a guitar case in a warm house from being in the cold, and have had problems in the past. Trust me, it happens.

Ive been through 30 guitars in the past 4 years and also live on the east coast(RI) I typically take the case out of the cardboard box, unlatch the latches and leave it for 30-45 minutes. You'll be fine man. Ive never had an issue

hahaha, actually it was really just an honest question. but don't feel bad, you get yours tomorrow, mines not supposed to be shipped until mid-may sometime.

and unfortunately, I have no recommendations since I've lived in the same town for 25 years and blues clubs aren't really my scene. However everyone I've known who's lived in Santa Monica remembers their time there fondly and it's a decent place to live as long as you can afford it. Also parking is a nightmare so make sure wherever you end up offers dedicated resident parking. Also, start using the word "the" before freeway numbers or everyone will know you're a transplant and will make fun of you profusely for it...and get used to having the conversation of "how long did it take you to drive here?" as the starter to any social gathering. By the way, there is no real "authentic" NY style pizza here so stop looking and just eat whatever's closest (except Bronx Pizza in San Diego is pretty damn good). Public transportation is a joke, you MUST own a car....and make it a comfy car, because any time you get in it, you will be in it for a while. There is definitely a vibrant music scene (for better or worse) in LA so I'm sure you'll find something that tickles your fancy. LA Weekly is your friend for entertainment/shows.

That's about all I got...really, LA is all about 2 questions "how much driving do I want to do" and "how much do I want to spend"...answer those two questions and you'll know where you should end up. :)

I was in L.A. back in September, and just visiting there for two days I can say that the above is accurate. Santa Monica was nice, but I'd recommend staying away from Santa Monica Blvd. Traffic was insane at any given hour. There were some nice looking places near San Vicente and Sunset. I have no clue how much real estate costs around there, but yeah, there are some nice places there.

I stayed at the Hotel Ageleno. It was a great hotel, but the hotel restaurant was super expensive.

It plays to be cautious. It may have been in a cold place for a while before going out for delivery. If the box is cold and your living space is warm, you might get a surprise.

Rule of thumb (IMO) is to go slow IF there is such a difference. Open up the box. If the case is cold, let sit a while. Pull the case outta the box. Let sit a little. Open the case a crack so the warmer air can ease in. Then wider.

Wood expands and contracts with temp changes. Things other than wood, including the finish, can expand/contract at a different rate.......One of the reasons old guitars tend to have WEATHER checking in the finish. Usually it is not an issue unless there are sudden sharp changes.

Second Lesteban...it has happened, so be patient...as tough as it is...it is still a chunk of wood, and drastic climate changes effect wood...that's enough for me.

I waited a little over 3 hours to open the case when I got mine last week. The main reason that was explained to me was that the wood expanding and shrinking can cause the finish on the PRS guitars to crack.... Which would be a real bad day. But it was pretty warm outside where I'm at and I couldn't wait any longer lol.

Guitar arrived 8 hours ago. Taking it out of cardboard box now, and will do as others said tomorrow morning about opening case slowly, allowing air in, opening wider, and than get wood when I see the wood. 7 hours of sleep goes by quickly.

Pics posted tomorrow.

Thanks everyone

Peace

BobbyD

Back