Old SC 245 owners, what are the pickups like?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Beery Swine, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:44 PM.

1. Beery Swine

Beery Swine New Member

I went searching for this topic, but couldn't seem to find anything on the pickups specifically. Any owners of a 2000s era SC245 in here? What were those pickups like? I ask because I'm considering buying a used one and would like to know ahead of time what they're like. Any other pickups on the market they sound similar too? I know there's a few charts that have some basic PRS pickup specs, but that doesn't really tell you the tone, know what I mean? The McCarty pickups in my first and so far only American made guitar sound crunchy and killer af.

2. Tim S

Tim S King of the barre chord

Will the quality of the stock pickups determine whether or not you'll buy the 245? If so, you know you can replace the pickups, right?

If not, what difference does it make? Get the guitar and use your own ears. If you like the stock pickups, great! If not, you have the opportunity to replace them with ones you are more familiar with -- make it yours.

I respect the members here, but I wouldn't trust their descriptions, likes or dis-likes of particular pickups. I'd rather trust my own ears. Heck, we can't even agree on which sounds better -- 22-fret or 24-fret guitars. ;)

dogrocketp, shimmilou and Alnus Rubra like this.
  3. Beery Swine

Beery Swine New Member

No, but I'd still like to know, and it would alleviate some anxiety if I purchase the guitar. A larger purchase always has me sweating, even tho 6 months later I don't even think about or care about the money spent on an item like this which I love and use all the time.

Tim S likes this.
  4. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

245's were the first step towards the 57/08's that were really well received by the PRS community. They were really good, but some of course didn't think much of them. You can't please everyone. If you have heard a Mira, they are actually just covered Mira pickups, but since the Mira is thinner and all Hog, they end up sounding pretty different.

My take on them is they are a classic sounding pickup. Not super PAF'y but in that ball park. They do go well in the SC.

5. Geo408

Geo408 New Member

I have the 245’s in my Special 22, and I’ve found them to be very versatile. I can cover just about anything except maybe hard core metal, but I think I could even make that work, with the right pedals and amps. They work well with my vintage Marshall, and Fender amps, and even with a club supplied back line amp, like a Fender hot rod, or even a twin reverb. So yeah, pretty versatile, all in all.

bodia and Beery Swine like this.
  6. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

You might check out Leon Todd’s YouTube channel. He does a lot with both Axe FX and tube amps, and his main guitar is a black SC245 with stock pickups. Might give you taste of what they sound like.

bodia and Beery Swine like this.
  7. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Slightly Older Than New Member

I have 245's in my hollow body and (obviously) McCarty's in my McCarty semi-hollow. 2009 for the HB and the McCarty is a '97. I prefer the McCarty I think just because they breathe a little more. The neck pickups sound very similar but the bridge is different. The hollow body can cop the Santana tone fairly easily while the McCarty can do the LP screening bridge better (sounds like Zeppelin or Robben Ford through a dumble clone.)

I've toyed with the idea of replacing the 245's in the HB buy don't know what I'd put in. And then I'll play a show and get a really good monitor mix so they've stayed.

8. Beery Swine

Beery Swine New Member

That last part is key. PAF pickups sound great on channel 3 of a Mesa Mark IVa amp. With pickups today, output isn't nearly as important as tone. Any even kinda remotely modern high gain amp can get metal out of strat pickups, but to get a classic rock tone out of a JMP using EMG 81s is damn near impossible.

Herr Squid likes this.
  9. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

I had those pickups in my 2009-ish Singlecut Hollowbody and thought they were good rawk pickups. I remember them being hotter and bassier than McCarty pickups, and thought they weren't really the right pickup for a hollow guitar. But I would've left 'em in a solidbody.

10. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

He does tune it to Drop C or something silly like that. It does sound good though. I'd recommend Leon for pretty much all the reasons.

Johnny Rigs and Beery Swine like this.
  11. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

Oh that's right. He's always in Drop C with it. Forgot to mention that, thank you.

12. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Some of the 245's have 57/08's, depending on the year. My suggestion would be to buy the guitar. If you can get the serial number from the seller, you can look it up and find out. I played with someone who had the 245 pickups in his SC guitar. They were beefy, brawny and had amazing sound. Like an LP on steroids.

bodia likes this.
  13. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

Mine is an 09 245... They're OK, they sound better with gain than they do clean in my opinion. I have been considering switching them to 5708's, but I've also been considering trading this guitar in for another PRS of some kind because this guitar doesn't really have the sound I'm currently after. The problem I have with this guitar, and i'm not sure if it has to do with the pups, is that the low end is lacking quite a bit for my tastes. I much prefer my LP. I also think the 594 kills this guitar. While the playability of the guitar is great, there's something about it that just doesn't do it for me. That said other people will like them a lot no doubt.

14. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

245/ Mira pickups sound Killer similar in output to the 59/09 I have them in my SCT and DGT the DGT with the 245s might be the best sounding recorded guitar I own and the tapped sound is top notch also. I like the brighter / clearer sound of these in darker bigger bodied guitars best.

bodia likes this.