NWLGD: 408 Semi-hollow!

This is a little belated NGD due to all the holidays - but here it is! This is from the magnificent run of Wood Library 408 Semi-hollows conjured up by Brian, and with a RW neck to boot!

I'm just using the excellent pics from their site, as I haven't had a chance to take pictures in good lighting. The quilt is gorgeous 3D in person, and the color is warmer and not quite as yellow in more natural light.

Preliminary tone report from playing a few days through my Friedman SmallBox - this thing sounds huge! The RW neck seems to further extenuate the lows and highs of the 408s, as compared to my Siggy. And the SH body gives it a nice resonance when playing clean or with a little dirt - definitely sounds cool with the coil splits. And at 6.5 lbs, it's nice and easy on the back ;)

Alright, I'll shut up, here are the pics. Besides the 2013 EXP guitars, these SH's don't exist outside Private Stock, so shout out to Brian again!!

DSC_9066_zpsxlmz7upb.jpg

DSC_9062_zpsmgqkfppw.jpg

DSC_9074_zpsjvhzefau.jpg
;)
DSC_9077_zpslmbzy1n4.jpg
That is real busy. It reminds of pouring evaporated milk on my Jello when I was a kid(quite tasty with condensed milk also).

Thanks everyone! I'm loving this one!

So how's the guitar sounding?

It's sounding great. I've still primarily played it through my Friedman SmallBox, but that's my favorite amp ever, so I can get a good feel as to how the guitar compares to others. As an aside, that amp has made me a believer in the idea, espoused by Grissom and others, about using a plexi-style amp clean, as you get that harmonic complexity that you don't from a straight, stiff Fender. But I digress...

I'll compare the two main differences from the ordinary 408 or Siggy - the RW neck, and then semi-hollow. Sorry for the length....

RW neck:
I would say there's definitely that low-mids RW neck thing going on, which I personally like, especially into a Marshall style amp - but I like darker tones. Unlike other RW neck PRSi I've had, it doesn't seem to be "scooped" sounding, it still has plenty of mids and is really smooth on the neck pickup - I love it there. So, in a practical mix you have more low-mids and the top end is a little brighter or there's more bite. Being aware of this, it's easy to make adjustments to the amp, etc.. and have it cut through and/or sit it where you want in a mix. Unlike some other RW experiences, I don't miss the hog neck - I don't think I've had one that was Pattern/Wide fat before - maybe the shear amount wood makes a difference or it's just a great wood library piece? In any event, I like the overall wooly vibe it adds, and man, I love the "barely-finished" feel of a RW neck

Semi-hollow:
As to the semi-hollow aspect - distorted at a classic rock to EVH level, it doesn't sound much different than my Siggy (except it's much lighter and comfortable). This is not surprising because PRS semi-hollows really just seem to be hollow from part of the upper horn down to the F hole. But, it some ways - like big, strong chord strums, it sounds huuuge and really resonates noticeably more. Like, great for Townsend-style chords, or maybe getting part of that big Foo Fighters sound or that chunky rhythm sound of AFD Izzy Stradlin. I know, oddly specific, ha. Single notes seem to maybe sing a little more, and I like the vocal-like tone the bridge split gives me. Overall it probably has more spank/bite than the solid bodies. (The RW neck could be contributing to this as well).

Clean, the semi-hollow really adds some nice dimensions. You can kinda cop a jazz tone on the neck pickup with the volume and tone knobs backed off. I want to experiment with this more using my Fuchs ODS. Splitting both in the middle position really gives a great strumming acoustic-like sound. And the middle, in all it's permutations, is great for spanky funk and R&B rhythms - almost a 335 feel when used in those contexts. And like all 408s, the neck single coil easily cops Strat tones via some play with the vol/tone.

I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces through my Fuchs ODS more, as it's great clean, and for jazz/fusion type things. Maybe someday I can play like Tag :D

Last edited:
Somehow I missed the start of this thread - just wanted to say congrats - a great looking versatile guitar

Thanks everyone! I'm loving this one!

It's sounding great. I've still primarily played it through my Friedman SmallBox, but that's my favorite amp ever, so I can get a good feel as to how the guitar compares to others. As an aside, that amp has made me a believer in the idea, espoused by Grissom and others, about using a plexi-style amp clean, as you get that harmonic complexity that you don't from a straight, stiff Fender. But I digress...

I'll compare the two main differences from the ordinary 408 or Siggy - the RW neck, and then semi-hollow. Sorry for the length....

RW neck:
I would say there's definitely that low-mids RW neck thing going on, which I personally like, especially into a Marshall style amp - but I like darker tones. Unlike other RW neck PRSi I've had, it doesn't seem to be "scooped" sounding, it still has plenty of mids and is really smooth on the neck pickup - I love it there. So, in a practical mix you have more low-mids and the top end is a little brighter or there's more bite. Being aware of this, it's easy to make adjustments to the amp, etc.. and have it cut through and/or sit it where you want in a mix. Unlike some other RW experiences, I don't miss the hog neck - I don't think I've had one that was Pattern/Wide fat before - maybe the shear amount wood makes a difference or it's just a great wood library piece? In any event, I like the overall wooly vibe it adds, and man, I love the "barely-finished" feel of a RW neck

Semi-hollow:
As to the semi-hollow aspect - distorted at a classic rock to EVH level, it doesn't sound much different than my Siggy (except it's much lighter and comfortable). This is not surprising because PRS semi-hollows really just seem to be hollow from part of the upper horn down to the F hole. But, it some ways - like big, strong chord strums, it sounds huuuge and really resonates noticeably more. Like, great for Townsend-style chords, or maybe getting part of that big Foo Fighters sound or that chunky rhythm sound of AFD Izzy Stradlin. I know, oddly specific, ha. Single notes seem to maybe sing a little more, and I like the vocal-like tone the bridge split gives me. Overall it probably has more spank/bite than the solid bodies. (The RW neck could be contributing to this as well).

Clean, the semi-hollow really adds some nice dimensions. You can kinda cop a jazz tone on the neck pickup with the volume and tone knobs backed off. I want to experiment with this more using my Fuchs ODS. Splitting both in the middle position really gives a great strumming acoustic-like sound. And the middle, in all it's permutations, is great for spanky funk and R&B rhythms - almost a 335 feel when used in those contexts. And like all 408s, the neck single coil easily cops Strat tones via some play with the vol/tone.

I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces through my Fuchs ODS more, as it's great clean, and for jazz/fusion type things. Maybe someday I can play like Tag :D

Heckuva good post, my man!

Awesome! I honestly thought these were going to sell faster than they have been, but they really are killer guitars. Congrats... And thank you, I can just point people to this thread when they ask me how mine sounds, lol.

(I'm really bad at reviewing things, I just know whether I like it or not)

Back