Nominated for a 2013 "Bangin'" award: ZOOM MS-50G pedal.

I have the Zoom MS-50G and really enjoy it. However, on occasion, the sound will cut in and out on some effects chains. If I switch chains, it is OK again . Does anyone know what may cause this and how to prevent it? My first thought was that the processor was overwhelmed, but removing an effect from the chain did not help on these occasions. My next thought was that I have one of the effects in the chain set poorly, but so far have not been able to pinpoint any one effect with similar settings when this occurs. If I remove the zoom from the equation, the sound is back to normal. Thus far I have not been able to isolate the problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

Possibly. I may have assumed that right away if it occurred more consistently. Thanks Sergio.

The switch only has access to one parameter at a time with the exception of choosing whether holding it down will active the tuner, tap tempo, or patch selection, so turning individual effects on and off will require you to bend over to hit the scroll buttons.

It still sounds like a nice pedal in a small package. I would probably just set it up ahead of time and use it that way, turning it on and off.

It doesn't make a good tube amp sound digital?

I'm still playing with my MS100-BT running it into a SS amp, a '67 Ampeg and direct. There's just so many ways to use the pedal with just a little prep. Just need an echo, just pick one from the list and turn it on and off with the foot switch. need a chain of effects? Just set them up with the line out first in the chain and turn it off with the foot switch. Need multiple effect chains? Just set them up and assign them to the "A/B" list and use the foot switch to scroll through them. At first it may seem too simple with three knobs and a foot switch but it's surprisingly versatile. One thing about the amp models, they respond real well to the guitars volume control and even with a lot of gain will clean up.

I have the Zoom MS-50G and really enjoy it. However, on occasion, the sound will cut in and out on some effects chains. If I switch chains, it is OK again . Does anyone know what may cause this and how to prevent it? My first thought was that the processor was overwhelmed, but removing an effect from the chain did not help on these occasions. My next thought was that I have one of the effects in the chain set poorly, but so far have not been able to pinpoint any one effect with similar settings when this occurs. If I remove the zoom from the equation, the sound is back to normal. Thus far I have not been able to isolate the problem.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sounds defective. When you program it, it will tell you if what you selected will be too much for the processor before you ever try to run anything through it. Mainly this comes up when you have an Amp Modeler on as well.

The only time I've had anything weird ( a stutter ) happen is when I have a noise gate in the chain and turn down my guitar real low to clean up an amp sim, but that's an easy fix by adjusting the threshold.

The only time I've had anything weird ( a stutter ) happen is when I have a noise gate in the chain and turn down my guitar real low to clean up an amp sim, but that's an easy fix by adjusting the threshold.
For the sake of clearing the rep of this wonderful little pedal, it was my programming that was the issue. Similar to what NomadMike said above, the problem rested with my noise gate threshold setting (particularly in conjunction with a delay, I believe). I am really learning to love this thing now that I have spent more time with it.

Thanks for the tips mates.

Funny that you mention that scenario as I came across that same one a few weeks back. After using the MS100-BT for awhile I'm getting better at how I mix the sims together and what combinations to avoid.

One setting that I've gotten mileage out of when backing someone in church was to use an amp sim, and add the opt-comp after the amp. This way I can use the volume on my guitar to control how much dirt I'm getting but the volume coming out of the blue box stays pretty level and let the front of house guy at the board mix the level. It also allowed me to use the foot switch to turn the detune patch on and off. Had another chain that was the same but with the (awesome) Shimmer Reverb instead of the detune patch.
The MS100-BT is really handy as on that church gig a friend asked short notice if I could accompany her. All I needed to do was grab a small practice amp, gig bag (with the mira, two cables and the MS100-BT in it) and head out the door to learn the songs and go over what sounds she wanted. Punched those into some empty slots, added them to the A/B list and done. The next day I just grab the gig bag and head out two hours before service to the church for a run trough with the sound guy. Plug into one of their amps changed the cabinet sim, get the thumbs up from Front of House and was ready to go. Without the MS100-BT I would have packed eight pedals, my main amp, guitar and still not had the sounds she liked, as I don't have a Detune or Shimmer Reverb in my stomp box pile. More likely I would have passed on doing it as it would have been more hassle for just two songs on short notice.

So I'm nominating the
MS100-BT for the 2014 Bangin Award.

Funny that you mention that scenario as I came across that same one a few weeks back. After using the MS100-BT for awhile I'm getting better at how I mix the sims together and what combinations to avoid.

One setting that I've gotten mileage out of when backing someone in church was to use an amp sim, and add the opt-comp after the amp. This way I can use the volume on my guitar to control how much dirt I'm getting but the volume coming out of the blue box stays pretty level and let the front of house guy at the board mix the level. It also allowed me to use the foot switch to turn the detune patch on and off. Had another chain that was the same but with the (awesome) Shimmer Reverb instead of the detune patch.
The MS100-BT is really handy as on that church gig a friend asked short notice if I could accompany her. All I needed to do was grab a small practice amp, gig bag (with the mira, two cables and the MS100-BT in it) and head out the door to learn the songs and go over what sounds she wanted. Punched those into some empty slots, added them to the A/B list and done. The next day I just grab the gig bag and head out two hours before service to the church for a run trough with the sound guy. Plug into one of their amps changed the cabinet sim, get the thumbs up from Front of House and was ready to go. Without the MS100-BT I would have packed eight pedals, my main amp, guitar and still not had the sounds she liked, as I don't have a Detune or Shimmer Reverb in my stomp box pile. More likely I would have passed on doing it as it would have been more hassle for just two songs on short notice.

So I'm nominating the
MS100-BT for the 2014 Bangin Award.
Nice! In an effort to bring myself up to speed on patches and chains, I came across this thread which has some patch ideas, including some "ambient" patches that I am looking forward to trying:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-1201907.html

Thanks again for the assistance.

BTW, What the Shimmer Reverb sounds like. Just added some nice sounds in a simple bass, drums, guitar and piano lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, What the Shimmer Reverb sounds like. Just added some nice sounds in a simple bass, drums, guitar and piano lineup.

I like it and I am bummed - it is not included with the MS50. I may have to upgrade soon!

I bought a Zoom G3x a month ago and I have to say, I don't really like it as much as the lowly MS-50g. The amp models don't have the noise issue, and even with two extra switches I don't find it as useful as the "50". I think the Line Selector effect is what makes this unit so useful for me, and the "tails" option for the delays are a "must have", I honestly don't know why anyone would make a delay pedal without it, let alone buy one. I think I might try and swap somebody the G3 for another "50".

Sergio,
Does the G3 only allow a chain of only three effects?

I'm finding myself using the amp sims, reverbs and OD models on my MS100 more than the ones for my DAW.

Last edited:
Nah, the G3 does six effects, and it has more than the MS50 but not the same parameters for some of 'em.

What DAW are you using, Mike?

I've been using Mixcraft 6 and just updated to 7 Pro this week. It's easy to use and has enough Garage Band type training wheels for me to throw something together.
It's really shown me how much tone in recordings really comes from the guy on the other side of the glass.

So the usual signal chain (which keeps the wife happy) is guitar->MS100->AI->Mixcraft.

Back